London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
    25/09/2013 at 16:53

Hello everyone,

An update of sorts on the problems we're currently having with the site cache, which is causing forum threads to not display the latest posts, private messages to not update and the login status to behave erratically...

The technical team are hoping to have a fix for the issues by tomorrow afternoon (Thursday 25th September). In the meantime, the only 'workaround' is to perform a 'hard refresh' of your temporary browser files (with your browser as the active window):

On a PC: simultaneously press the Ctrl and F5 keys

On a mac: simultaneously press the Cmd and R keys

iPad/iPhone: you can clear history, cookies and data within Settings Safari

This will hopefully cause the forum threads to update, and your private messages, although I can't guarantee it will work for all users.

Sorry for this, I realise it's a complete pain. Fingers crossed for a full fix by tomorrow afternoon - I'll keep you updated.

Daniel Haynes
Editor, gardenersworld.com

25/09/2013 at 16:55

Thanks Daniel, still a bit glitchy on Ipad but a bit better for now.

25/09/2013 at 17:04

Thanks Daniel 

25/09/2013 at 17:20

Thanks Daniel, emptying the cache worked!

26/09/2013 at 17:53

Hello everyone,

An update on the caching problems with the site: I'm afraid we're not quite there with a full fix on this yet. The tech team needs to tinker a bit further before we're properly up and running again. Apologies - I was hopeful we'd have a full fix by the end of today.

I'll be given an update late morning (Friday 27th), so I'll pass on any information as I have it.

In the meantime, annoying though it is, please refresh your browser, as per my original post on this thread to update the forum lists and your private message list.

If you need any further help, it's best to drop us a line at website@gardenersworld.com rather than private messaging, as some of you are having trouble picking up responses. We'll pick up emails in the morning and get back to you.

Fingers crossed for better news tomorrow.

Daniel Haynes

26/09/2013 at 18:00

IF A COMPUTER IS INVOLVED, THEN WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ????

26/09/2013 at 18:09

Can't do it any more.  Half the forum members have given up, new members can't work it out. Nothing here

26/09/2013 at 19:54

Hi, Cutnutlet,  Of late, I too have found that all of a sudden, there is a cut off from 'conversations' . This has been going on for more than a month now............  I thought everyone hated me ! 

26/09/2013 at 20:19

26 Sept @ 20:16

Same frustration here plus typing is in 'go slow' mode now too.

I suggest our posts are all dated within the text becaues terms like Yesterday and Today tell you nothing if the updating isn't working.

26/09/2013 at 20:56

Thanks for keeping us in touch. Seems OK now (Thurs 26th). Also have now learnt how to do a cache refresh. Something new every day!

Taking it easy after gathering in 123lbs of pumpkin and endless kilos of black grapes. Yum.

26/09/2013 at 21:33

28/9/13 - Great idea of yours Birdy - will date all my postings from now on -

maybe then I'll know what day it is!!  

26/09/2013 at 22:32

Hey ! I've got a piece of paper with the time written on it ! (Thursday neet, 2233hrs ! )

27/09/2013 at 15:40

Hello everyone,

I've had an update from the technical helpdesk: they've identified the cause of the problem (which wasn't what we thought originally) and have started the fix. It's going to take another hour (it's now 15.38) or so, after which, we hope the forum will display correctly and the login status also.

So, please bear with us just a little longer and I'll post another update shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Daniel Haynes

27/09/2013 at 16:17

Hello again everyone,

Well... I think the problem is now fixed. We have a weekly 'build' on the site, when various updates and fixes that the developers have been working on are published to the live site. It seems that one of the 'under the hood' updates has been causing the problems that have been annoying everyone all week. It's taken a while to determine this, but it seems to now be resolved.

You might need to close and restart your browser for everything to update. Once you've done this the site should be working OK - do please let me know if you have any further problems.

Once again, I'm very sorry for the frustrations of the last week.

Daniel Haynes

27/09/2013 at 16:39

No still not getting anything.

More or less giving up.

Don't want to keep Ctrl F5 over and over again.

27/09/2013 at 16:42

Hello Matty2,

Have you closed and reopened your browser? If so, and it hasn't worked, it's also worth logging out and logging back in again.

Daniel

27/09/2013 at 17:21

Hello Daniel.  Just logged back in 5 minutes ago - 17:15 - and still having to do ctrl F5 to get latest posts in threads.

Do appreciate being kept informed of what's going on.  Good luck to the team hunting and fixing the bugs.

27/09/2013 at 17:37

Also still having to do ctrl+f5 but posts are showing. Thanks for keeping at it Daniel!

27/09/2013 at 18:12

Hello everyone,

Mmm. We'll need to monitor this. If you still have problems over the weekend, please let me know here, and I'll pass it all on the team on Monday. I'm still hoping that the fix might just be taking a little time to filter through and it will all be rectified shortly.

I've been experiencing the same problems all week, and am now finding the site is working fine. We've had a number of testers on the case, all of whom are reporting things are working again. If that turns out not to be the case, it will all hands on deck again on Monday.

Fingers crossed!

Daniel Haynes

27/09/2013 at 18:16

I seem to be Ok now, things updating. Slow and keep losing it but that will be my super-slow rural broadband.

1 to 20 of 29 messages