Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

cuttings

i recently took cuttings of philadelphus, lavender and rose, the philadelphus have sprouted new green buds so are alive, hurrah!! the lavender looks alive ..hurrah! the rose doesn't look so good ( though i plan to do hardwood cuttings later on anyway) how and when will i know if these have rooted?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I don't disturb rose cuttings for about 12 months - I just leave them outside in a shady corner and look for new growth the following spring/summer.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

another cuttings question, a house on our road is split into student flats and is an eyesore, they have 2 half dead lacecap hydrangea bushes (twigs) in the front, i'm desperate to take cuttings, if i put a note in through the letterbox to ask permission would it be too late by the time i hear? which i probably wouldn't i have never seen the owner, i wouldn't dare without asking, though as they are in such a bad state would they fail anyway? it's such a shame, i just want to propogate the poor things

I'd go for it - they'll either strike for you or they won't, and if they don't I'd assume your 'permission' carries forward to next year and you can have another go image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

i'll nip round in my jamas with a plastic bag one morning at 6am like the nutter i am!

they're all in open mini gh, should i take them out and put in shady corner now? dove i'm really sorry, i forgot what you said to do with foxglove seedings, should they go out in same shady corner? lupins? sorry, my capacity to remeber all the good advice i get is goldfish sized

Yes, they don't need warmth - roses and foxgloves both into a shady corner now - perhaps with something over the top of the foxgloves for when the snow comes if it comes, but open at the sides.  They don't need protection from the cold, but something over the top would prevent them from getting waterlogged.  the foxgloves will disappear over the winter so don't panic image

thanks dove, i would have panicked, i'd have binned them!! what would i do without you?

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    The jamas thing made me giggle! I think many of us practise gardenimg in our pj's! image

I was standing up pots in my jamas this morning image