London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
24/08/2013 at 17:09

Hi,

Have you ever nearly poked your eye out due to canes supporting flowers etc in the garden?

I buy tennis balls punch a hole in them and stick them on the end of the canes,

the balls last for years and really do a good job, it's amazing how quick you gather up enough to do the job of protecting your one and only eye supply,

Just think what it would be like to loose an eye through a silly mistake such as a cane not being covered,

I know so many dangers in the garden and i'd like to help others with my ideas what about you joining in and telling the world and his dog about your safe way of gardening ? (Please)

24/08/2013 at 17:17

I always wear the plastic gardening, clog-type shoes, no matter what I am doing. I cringe at the thought of anything bitting my toes, let alone chopping them off! I now wear a round necked T-shirt as one time when I was gardening, I came in to make tea and felt a tickle. I was still feeling a tickle a couple of hours later and looked down my top. A huge spider had survived my itching! Yak!

KEF
24/08/2013 at 17:21

Must admit Smokin I wouldn't want to look at a tennis ball amongst plants, but I did save wine corks, before most became screw top, and used them. I also have little green plug like stoppers to use.

At one point I did consider a blob of plasticine..but it's that long since I've seen any and not sure if I've even spelled it correctly.

Sudden flash  wonder if a ping pong ball painted ...no forget it...not much protection...

Looking forward to reading subsequent posts.

24/08/2013 at 17:38

Good advice smokin

I always use tops for canes.....well, I try to.  

I take too many risks inthe garden though........reaching,up with hedgetrimmer on an unsteady ladder is the most common one.  Jumping over the pool rather than walking around even though it is not very big.  Never fallen in yet but landing on a slippery perimeter slab has meant a dicey moment or two.  Just think, if I fell in and drowned the jokes thread would not have existed!

24/08/2013 at 18:11

And who would eat all the cake?

24/08/2013 at 19:02

Little spongy balls are good - the tiny ones in different colours.  Also, in the past I have used Red Nose Day noses with pirate faces on. 

Other dangers in the garden are toxiciity of many plants - I was surprised when I looked at a toxic plant list, after I had a serious reaction to a Nicotina plant.

Not all plant sellers label correctly - so now I check the list and never garden without gloves.

24/08/2013 at 21:37

Anybody in your household drink those little yoghurt drinks?  The containers slip over the top of canes - and they are free!!

25/08/2013 at 02:09

Widgets fit snuggly ontop of canes, and if you drill a few more holes in them they can be used as the joints for netting cages

25/08/2013 at 10:32

What is a widget please,Zoomer44? I do use pingpong balls(cheaper than tennis ones.) I used to use camera film  spool containers but like wine bottle corks they are hard to come by now.But I do agree, I have had quite a few close shaves  over the years but luckily still have my eyes intact! We don't realise how dangerous our gardens are.

25/08/2013 at 10:57

It's one of the few benefits of wearing glasses.

25/08/2013 at 11:04
waterbutts wrote (see)

It's one of the few benefits of wearing glasses.

Another of the benefits is that I can see what I'm doing 

25/08/2013 at 11:05

and never staking anything

25/08/2013 at 11:08

Well, yes, I'm hardly ever organised enough to stake things when they need it. I usually end up getting down and under and heaving the thing up on my shoulder while balancing a stake on my outstretched shin and holding a piece of tying string between my teeth. It's usually at this point that my glasses fall off into the undergrowth.....

25/08/2013 at 11:20

I can picture it waterbutts

25/08/2013 at 12:39

Oh Verdun, perish the thought, never mind cake who wil get your coat eh?

25/08/2013 at 13:16

Another danger is trying to use the likes of spades/forks etc that dont fit your size

ie a shaft on such tools that are to small can cause aches and pain due to over stretching,

Try new tools in the places you buy them before buying you can get verious sized shafts.

25/08/2013 at 21:46

jatnikapyar. Widgets are balls found in cans of larger to make them froth when opened. Not sure if they still put them in the can as I saved mine a couple of years back. They come with a hole in and off course, you need to drink the beer first before you can get at the widget.

Having a bar-be-cue and supplying the beer is the quickest way to collect them. A good time is had by all and you have a good supply of widgets 

26/08/2013 at 08:19

Ta Zoomer44, even at my age I learn some thing new every day.Not being a beer/larger drinker I have not come across them

26/08/2013 at 08:34

Water butt  "wearing specs "????

I once knew an old man who was a crossing patrolman for a kiddies crossing,

He"d just been kitted out with a full length white water proof coat/hat/wellies and his lollie-pop warning sign,

He was run over during a snow storm (the driver said he couldnt see him standing in the middle of the road)

Do you really think specs will save a good hard poke in the eye??????

One set of eye's One brain, two ARMS two legs,  and in some cases a cap with GAP. wrote on it,

use your balls and save your eyes, (grow a pair)

Saftey in the garden isn't to be taken for granted.

26/08/2013 at 10:25

Here is my solution - prettier than tennis balls

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29928.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

1 to 20 of 28 messages