London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
13 messages
26/10/2013 at 10:08

Hi, I have a geat glut of dessert apples all slightly imperfect and therefore cannot be stored. I have stewed some - can I freeze? Put some in cakes; eaten some ...any ideas what I can do with some more, well lots more as the rest will probably fall on Monday with the forecast! Recipes, freezing tips etc really welcome. Thanks.

26/10/2013 at 10:41

Jam and chutneys should use up a few kilos

26/10/2013 at 11:03

My daughter cooked a quantity of Bramleys and then froze them. She's eaten them all in various ways and hasn't keeled over so I think it's safe to say it's ok to freeze! 

She split it into several small pots and used it mainly for pancakes but I expect yours would be good for a sauce to accompany meat Daintiness. Shouldn't matter that it's dessert apples either.

26/10/2013 at 11:06

how about drying? I don't know how to do it but there are apples in some dried fruit mixes

26/10/2013 at 11:22

If you have some mint, sage or rosemary left try cooking them down with a herb. put into a large pan, cover with water and simmer until soft. then strain through muslin or jelly bag (jamjarshop.com for full herb jelly recipe) measure the juice and add equal quantity of sugar to juice ie 500g to 500ml, simmer until it reaches setting point and then pour into sterilised jars. Yum! Brilliant with the sunday roast

26/10/2013 at 11:31

That sounds very good Polly! 

26/10/2013 at 18:17

Thanks for the ideas. I'll definitely freeze because I would love to have some later in the year.

Ginagibbs, any proven recommendations on the jams or chutneys or a site for recipes?

26/10/2013 at 18:24

Staacey had a plum and apple mincemeat I made earlier on, then  plum and apple chutney, then lots of spples just blancjed and frozen. I use sweet apples for crumbles, without adding any extra sugar.

28/10/2013 at 13:34

Ginagibbs. What kind of jam can I make with apples?

28/10/2013 at 13:38

Sorry, meant to add, I have searched around for some recipes but they all say cooking apples. What would happen if I used dessert apples - I'd use less sugar but would they work?

28/10/2013 at 15:39

Cooking apples break down more than dessert apples so it just means you have lumps rather than puree if that makes sense. I would think you could do things like tarte tatin as the apples are in slices anyway. I've seen chefs do crumbles and pies using a mix so that it's not such a soft squishy filling. Granny Smiths often get used instead of Bramleys for pies as they're tart but firmer. Expect it's a question of personal taste too, Daintiness.

KEF
28/10/2013 at 15:48

I only have dessert apples and use them as I would baking apples and add little or no sugar. They have been fine from fresh in pies. Maybe if yours are firmer you could slice & slightly soften in the microwave, cool and then add to pies. I freeze loads that I cook down until soft or puree and use as stewed as a dessert, or as apple sauce ( with a squirt of lemon in ) to have with meats.

29/10/2013 at 10:13

Thanks to all for all your helpful comments. Yesterday after all the wind, my son and I juiced about 60 apples - now have litres of organic apple juice in the fridge which tastes and looks great (pink). I then sliced and stewed another dozen or so for the freezer. The rest as they fall will go in apple cake and crumble.  I might give the tarte tatin a go - never made one before. Thanks again.

email image
13 messages