Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dig For Victory

Hi Guys! Prompted by Bekkie over on the "Hello Forkers" thread I'm starting a new topic here following my comment below:

I'm organising a 1940s weekend over Easter at the museum and wondering whether I could link in my other (currently neglected) hobby a little by having a dig for victory area and giving the younger visitors a taste of it by handing out pumpkin or sunflower seeds to pot up on the day (providing I can find a nice company to donate some mud, seeds and little starter pots as my budget is non existent - although I shall be finding somewhere around here that's doing pumpkin carving and asking if I can help clean up to get the seeds!) to then have a small competition as to who can grow the tallest / biggest? If I can find space we could grow some at the museum (with emergency spares at home) to join in ourselves and feature it throughout the year.

And out comes my begging bowl. I've mentioned my budget is non existent - truth be told there is no budget, we don't even have the funds to pay my wages so my job isn't even secure long term (I've worked August for free) and I'm bringing in my own paper for the printer so I can keep on working. The museum isn't in trouble this is just how tight finances are for places like us that don't receive regular financial support from the government or companies. You'd be amazed how furiously even established grand museums local to you are paddling to keep their heads above water - don't be surprised to see volunteers when you visit places quietly turning lights off to save a few pennies!

So - if anyone has any sunflower heads they think the birds can spare, any juicy pumpkins they'll be gutting and not using all the seeds for next year, or know anyone in the soil company who can spare a few bags of compost and maybe some pots (although I'm thinking we could make paper pots from newspapers)  I'd be really grateful for a friendly pm offering them to this event! image Hopefully we can spark some interest and get a few more families into gardening and get more people in our hobby.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I should have tons of pumpkin seeds, might be a while longer before i know how many! image

You are doing a fab job! Well done image
  • I can send you a few packs of sunflower seeds that I got free from magazines. My sunflower crop failed/ got eaten so no flower heads here...image

I can also collect the pumpkin seeds from Halloween if that would help?

Wearside, England.
  • star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

Clari, what a great idea, hope all goes well for you.

I know its not what you asked for, but.....I have loads of sweetpea pods, would they be of any use to you. You are very welcome to them if they are.

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Great idea Clari. I'm not far away so will be able to help. I'll pm you.
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

You are doing so well Clari image I was just watching the birds eating the sunflower hers, but I'm sure they can spare some as there are loads so I will go and pick some off for you.

As Lily mentioned, I also have sweet pea pods you could have.

I have one Crown Prince squash, so when we eat that you can have the seeds from that too.

I will PM you when I get back and arrange delivery and will bring some potting compost for you too. 

If there is anything else I (or we) can do ti help just shout image

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Clari, strange question, do you have a compost bin/ heap at the museum? Dont know if its the kind of place people bring lunches to, was just thinking if it was, there may be a useful supply of compostable material image
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I have packets of sunflower seeds you are welcome too. They wont grow by Easter though, will they?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Lyn - I think Clari is intending to have a Dig for Victory corner at her 40's exhibition next Easter. As part of that she will be inviting kids to plant sunflower & squash seeds (on the day) & then (over the rest of the season) there could be a comp to see who can grow the largest (a clever way to get repeat visits to the museum image - as well as sparking horticultural interest in the kiddies).

I think it's a great idea image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Clari - any chance of getting a local GC to 'sponsor' the event by donating a few bags of compost in return for some free advertising?

You'll have a better idea than me how many visitors you're likely to get, but I wouldn't have thought you'd use that many bags of compost if you're only filling 3" pots (or their equivalent) - and you could always agree to return any unopened ones to the GC.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

What a great idea. image I agree about a GC donating compost/growing medium. Newspaper pots are also brilliant. Sadly my sunflowers are over and composted. Is there anything else we can do to help?