London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
18 messages
06/01/2013 at 18:44
Often I have need......or an excuse?.....to replant a part of my garden. Maybe a shrub has died or has served its purpose and it's removal creates a brand new area to plan, design and plant up. Last year it was a combination of shrub and lawn removal. It was exciting to do and has proved quite successful and rewarding. So, when a conifer, shrub, etc no longer performs well I am quite brutal and keen to seize the opportunity. Who else is planning this soon?
06/01/2013 at 20:04

I'm always at it Verdun. Very satisfying. This garden is built on old gravel diggings with rubbish dumped. I planted stuff where i could find soil without too much brick rubble/glass/plastic/agricultural poison containers and have since taken an area at a time, dug out rubbish, added the contents of the compost heap and planted. If I live long enough I'll get round the whole garden

06/01/2013 at 23:09

Hi Verdun.

today i moved a large fern, i hope to build a stumpery, i also aim to incorporate a small pond.

i have also widened a boarder, i realise now that i should have marked clearly beforehand to have  marked where i had previously planted bulbs!

06/01/2013 at 23:17
Hiya goldfinch2, we all forget where our bulbs are I think. Sounds an exciting project. Just want some decent spells of dry weather now.
07/01/2013 at 10:22
I have just asked on another thread can i move things now? My garden is still very new to me and very straight. Im gathering i can move stuff now so my gardens having an over haul
07/01/2013 at 12:59

Forget where the bulbs are? The most extreme example of this was 20 minutes after I'd planted them

07/01/2013 at 13:15
Ecky thump Do you still remember your name nutcutlet? Sam, yes I would move stuff now. It's mild, dryish for mo, and you've got time to work out where you want things to be without having to rush
07/01/2013 at 13:34

All the stuff to do later is a good reason for doing some now.

er, um, no, can't remember who I am. Yes, hang on a minute. No, it's gone again.

07/01/2013 at 13:39
You made me laugh nutcutlet...gotta go. got something to do but forgot................
07/01/2013 at 13:49

Nutcutlet. Im not that bad yet. Mind you, a friend fetched back some black tulips from Amsterdam last year for me and planted them. An hour after I spoke to my neighbour and he said that we had Squigs (squirrels) and that they would dig them up. Mum and I spent a further two hours searching. Head torches and all. We got them all but one. I have found it now as its started growing in the garden.

Verdun, thats good news. I will start moving stuff when the rain has gone 

07/01/2013 at 15:32

I removed a twisted hazel in October after it got far too big for one of my borders (despite radical pruning).  I have mulched and put compost down to be taken into the soil over winter and also planted a David Austin climbing rose (Gertrude Jekyll) to train against the fence.  My new year's resolution it to think carefully about what is going to go in place of the hazel - I am determined not to buy loads of plants just because I like them and just plant them anyoldhow.  I do fancy a nice hebe at the front, along with a couple of lavenders and then perennials and annuals like the rest of the border.

07/01/2013 at 15:46

Nice picture Sam.

Novel idea SFord, not buying plants randomly. I'll give that one some thought. Won't change anything I'm sure. That's why I've got so many things in pots waiting for a home.

07/01/2013 at 16:00

In answer to Verdun's original post, I do give plants a chance before I decide they have to go.  Once they've had their last chance, thats it!  Living in Cornwall, most things do reasonably well but the thing that causes problems is the strong wind and the salt laden sea breezes we get (I live very close to the camel estury).

07/01/2013 at 18:17

I like to re-do a border after a few years and joy re-planting shrubs or plants .

07/01/2013 at 18:27
Hiya Sford. I too am a cornishman living on the north coast but more towards st. Ives. I'm lucky as I'm protected from those strong salt laden winds. Let's hope the winter doesn't get too cold as i guess you're seeing a lot of early growth too
07/01/2013 at 18:35

Do you guys find the salt causes alot of problems then?

07/01/2013 at 21:13
Yes Sam, it's too caustic. As i said earlier, I do use beach sand to cover my veg sowings in the,open garden for reasons already given. Oh! Beetroot love beach sand. It's a maritime crop and love seaweed too. Works well for me.
08/01/2013 at 08:08

Hi Verdun - Yes, lots of growth already (hoping we dont get a frost now!).  My roses are showing shoots already and I still have japanese anenomes and penstemon still flowering in the garden from the summer.

I also use sand mixed in with top soil for my carrots.  Keep meaning to collect seaweed too but have to choose my moments to fight my way through the visitors!  Christmas and new year were incredibly busy.

email image
18 messages