Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 20 replies

fidgetbones

Do you remember when life was a lot simpler and we coped with hot weather by getting out the old bathtub or going fishing?

plant pauper

I love the optimism of the swimming cap!  Bless! Complete with strap under chin in case a big wave comes!

fidgetbones

You will notice I am up to my neck in it as usual. Always a water baby.

plant pauper

Can you still fold up that small Fidg?

I remember those and had one; sunsuits we called them.

Advertisement

fidgetbones

I think they were pre war, or 50's at best. We were at my nans along with three of my cousins and they got dragged out of a drawer.

happy days!  Those ruched elasticated swimsuits were hideous but all we gals had one, didn't we?  No other choice!

Our neighbours put a tin bath full of water out in the street for the kids to play in, but my ma wouldn't let me join in...I think she thought I might catch 'something' from them.  I was so jealous!

We used to fish for sticklebacks in the local brook. Many happy hours spent with a fishing net and a jam jar on a piece of string! Of course you had to dam up the brook first to get a good deep pool. As long as you didn't get a "booter" (a welly full of water), you were all right.

fidgetbones

I take up a bit more room these days, but still up to my neck in it.

plant pauper

I spent my formative years swimming in the sub zero waters of Lough Erne. When I went to a swimming pool with school I thought I would die of heat stroke! I still find indoor pools intolerably warm. Can't see me leaping into Lough Erne either though.  

fidgetbones

We used to go fishing in what we called the swamp. An area full of springs, they built on it in the 60's. Then they used to complain about the flooding.

fidgetbones says:

I think they were pre war, or 50's at best. We were at my nans along with three of my cousins and they got dragged out of a drawer.

See original post

50s in my case.

Where was that fidget? That turtle has found the perfect spot! 

I love a good dive. My favourite places so far are the Red Sea just off the tip of the Sinai, and off the Big Island of Hawaii (mostly the west side)

fidgetbones

Cocos (keeling) island. Indian Ocean. A dive site called the cabbage patch. acres of cabbage coral, the odd barrel sponge and a turtle or two.

fidgetbones says:

See original post

What??  Your cousins lived in a drawer??!!

Advertisement

fidgetbones

Well my mum was one of seven sisters and I had eighteen cousins, it all got a bit busy. At christmas, I'm surprised that someone wasn't sleeping in the shed.

fidgetbones

That photo was the summer holidays, when we also got to congregate at my nans.

It really was a different world back then.  Simpler, safer....for kids at least.

Fairygirl

I think that was quite common - using a drawer. Certainly for babies. Cheaper than a cot! People today are very spoiled, but when that idea of having so much 'stuff' is passed off as the norm, it's inevitable. My two girls wore their cousins' baby and toddler clothes. Some of it was over twenty years old. I don't think they've been scarred for life....

I'd rather economise at that stage and be able to spend a little more on them when they're older - that's when they really cost money!

I had a cozzie like that when I was little too fidget. I'm sure there are photos but I think my sister has most of them. Always love your diving pix - have you any more trips planned?

fidgetbones

Well I have, but hubby wants to wait a bit before booking. I want to go to the straights of Lembeh, the other side of North Sulawesi,that we went to a couple of years ago. My video broke on the first day, so I didn't get to film the blue ringed octopus, or the turtle eating the jellyfish, or the mating cuttlefish. I think that sort of thing is better on video than photo. And then of course neither of us have seen a mimic octopus yet. My video camcorder has been fixed now. So many things to see, so little time....

Last edited: 27 July 2016 09:32:13