Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Do you remember?

Do you remember when life was a lot simpler and we coped with hot weather by getting out the old bathtub or going fishing?imageimage

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

I love the optimism of the swimming cap! image Bless! Complete with strap under chin in case a big wave comes!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

Oh my goodness yes. Summers seemed to be much longer in those days. The rope swing over the local stream, the endless rambling through the countryside with a sandwich for lunch, paddling in aforementioned stream and catching freshwater shrimps - just to let them go again once we had watched their sideways swimming in the jam jar. Good times.

Last edited: 26 July 2016 20:30:47

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

You will notice I am up to my neck in it as usual.image Always a water baby.image

Can you still fold up that small Fidg?

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511

I remember those and had one; sunsuits we called them.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.

I think they were pre war, or 50's at best. We were at my nans along with three of my cousins and they got dragged out of a drawer.

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 332

We used to fish for sticklebacks in the local brook. Many happy hours spent with a fishing net and a jam jar on a piece of string! Of course you had to dam up the brook first to get a good deep pool. As long as you didn't get a "booter" (a welly full of water), you were all right.

imageI take up a bit more room these days, but still up to my neck in it.

I spent my formative years swimming in the sub zero waters of Lough Erne. When I went to a swimming pool with school I thought I would die of heat stroke! I still find indoor pools intolerably warm. Can't see me leaping into Lough Erne either though. image 

We used to go fishing in what we called the swamp. An area full of springs, they built on it in the 60's. Then they used to complain about the flooding.