London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
27/08/2014 at 08:58

Not sure if anyone out there on the forum has any views/ experiance on this one.

We took our dog for his booster injection.the vet looked at his teath an d suggested we bring him to have them cleaned.he weighs 50 lb .the vet says he would have to have a blood test first to check his liver and kidneys are alright.they would have to put him to sleep and keep him overnight.my dog is 12 years old.

27/08/2014 at 09:03

Did he say why Cangran? That does seem a bit drastic I must admit, but I'm not an expert. We do have a vet on the forum so maybe if he sees this he could give some info.

I would phone the vet this morning and ask more questions, get to the bottom of why these tests and the teeth cleaning are needed, just to make sure they aren't trying ti make money out of you (I'm not sceptical at all )

Hope you get it sorted and your dog is ok.

27/08/2014 at 09:13
The dog we lost last year had plaque below the gum line which meant her gums bled if she ate anything hard, the vet said he could take her in and clean them but he also said its not life threatening and if ahe isnt bothered then its probably best to leave her alone.
Your vet might want to do bloods prior to an anestetic just as best practise.

If your dog is ok, then in my opinion, i wouldnt bother, i think the risk out weighs the benefit
27/08/2014 at 09:17

Cleaning an older dog's teeth is not uncommon - like with humans, if tartar has built up it can cause inflamed gums and the loss of teeth which will in turn cause other problems.

It's not a cheap treatment however - your vet should give you an idea of the cost before going ahead.

There's some info here http://www.purina.co.uk/content/your-dog/helping-to-keep-your-dog-healthy/regular-dog-care/looking-after-your-dog%27s-teeth

27/08/2014 at 09:30

We had our dogs teeth cleaned when she was quite old, she was OK but we never had her sisters teeth done because she had a sligh hear problem and I never noticed the difference. They ate exactly the same foods.  Once done it can build up quicker the next time.  It is expensive, it was a while ago and I'm sure it cost over £100. Personally I wouldn't have it done and I'd start giving him something like denta sticks, but I'm no vet.

27/08/2014 at 10:08

Cangrandmafixit,

Is there a smell of her breath? I got my little terriers teeth done last week because of the smell. The vet said if there is a smell it could be other problems. He did all the tests for liver and kidneys but it turned out she had a bad gum infection. I don`t know what age she is because she is a rescue dog. We think shes old because she has slowed down a fair bit. They put her to sleep and she was fine afterwards. I got it done on pet insurance so don't know how much it cost.

Lyn
27/08/2014 at 10:17

I had my cats teeth descaled he had gum disease and the vet said it was probably causing pain. He was 12 and you wonder if its worth it at that age, that is entirely your choice.

One of my cross collie dogs lived to the age of 20, so your dog could have a good few years, not if he is overweight though. You dont say what breed so 50lbs may not be overweight.

27/08/2014 at 11:44

Our dog is a saluki , he had previously been on antibiotics for what the vet thought was a gum infection after chewing at a wooden gate which we immediate y removed.

He isn't a chewer these days but we realised that he was trying to get to his friend  ( another dog / his soul mate who didn't have very long to live .her back legs had gone the mettacam was not working any longer. So we had separated her from the other 3 dogs so she could have quiet. Two of the other dogs still liked to play . 

We eventually had to have her put to sleep , our salukii didn't take it well  and pine d .this is when we noticed his breath was smelling a bit off.this is why he was on antibiotics .

When we took him  yesterday he was very stressed while waiting ,his temperature was up a bit from last time.and his heart beat was loud.

When we have taken him before we have usually gone straight in.

This breed of dog is very sensitive and not for a rough and tumble house hold ( this we were told by the same vet so he put it down to the breed of dog he is.)

The infection has cleared up and was due to him chewing the gate.

Since losing his soul mate he has been by our side , very clingy like a child which is understandable .  When he loses sight of us he whispers so he is with us most of the time .Animals grieve  too.

At the moment even if we had to have his teath cleaned we would wait.I just feel it would stress him out far too much.the vet said the blood test was needed to Dee if he would be alright under anesthetic.

Would welcome the vets view.

Thanks for all your opinions so far on this thread. Gran

27/08/2014 at 11:46

Forgot to say there were several others with cats / dogs before us .I'm sure this is why he was stressed so much.

27/08/2014 at 12:47
So sorry to hear you lost your dog, i know how heart breaking it is, even when its for the best x

I agree with you, there is no way i would put such a delicate dog through any further stress, not yet

Best wishes x
27/08/2014 at 13:31

Just noticed a few odd words in my info ,it's this kindle seems to think it knows best any way the first word it changed was whispers should have read whimpers and the other was Dee instead of see.

Anyway on with the weeding borders

27/08/2014 at 14:56

Don't worry Cangran, I think we know what you mean and it can't be easy for you having lost a dog and now your other one is poorly and pining too, poor thing 

I have 2 rescue Beagles and when we got the first one we had a cat and although they were never best friends they had their silly little feeding time routine and tolerated each other, when Smudge (the cat) went, Ollie was terrible and wouldn't eat for nearly 2 weeks.....they were obviously closer than we gave them credit for  I daren't even think about when anything happens to one of the dogs, they are inseperable so I feel for you.

Keep us posted x

27/08/2014 at 15:56

I was given a 9 year old dog a year ago. She had never been spayed and her teeth were grey. It cost just over £200 (most of it for the anaesthetic) to have her spayed/ teeth cleaned/3 removed. Her previous owners had got the vet to remove 6 teeth! Why on earth they didn't then give her some teeth cleaning item I don't know. She now has 1/2 a 'Fish Stick' each morning, she loves them and her teeth have remained white.

27/08/2014 at 16:53

My 11 yr old Border Collie has bad breath. The vet says he is fine for his age but his teeth are a bit dirty as he has an overbite and finds it hard to chew. But the vet said cleaning them would be expensive because of the blood tests and the general anaesthetic and the anaesthetic is not without risk. He said it wasn't worth it.

27/08/2014 at 20:46

As the forum's resident vet, I have to be involved here.

It is very normal for dogs to require regular dental care as they age. It is sensible for your vet to offer a pre anaesthetic blood profile and most likely intravenous fluids to maintain blood pressure levels whilst under anaesthetic.

It is not common to take the risk of performing dentistry at the same time as an invasive surgical proceedure. The risk of bacteria from the mouth getting into the bloodstream and then into the surgical site is too great.

Regular brushing, suitable dental treats and appropriate dental biscuits are a good idea and reduce the tartar as it forms but will NOT remove tartar that has already set.

All tartar removed from the parts of the teeth that you can see is generally cosmetic, the tartar in the grooves under the gum margins are the reason that gum disease develops and that gum disease can cause infections in other organs as well as meaning that teeth need to be extracted.

Vets generally hate dentistry and we view it as a neccessary evil. It can be a dirty, long and complex job. There is a vague satisfaction in sorting out problems though!

27/08/2014 at 21:24

Thank you Steve for posting, I was hoping that you would see it when you popped in,  I hope you don't mind me mentioning that you may give an opinion, I just wanted to put Cangran's mind at rest.

Now you've explained it, it seems more logical.  I've never had to have dentistry work on a dog but then I've never had a dog of that age of my own as I left home when my last dog was that age.

Thanks again and I like the new name by the way  Is that your pup in the picture? Very cute 

27/08/2014 at 21:26
Very nice of you to give your professional opinion Steve, thank you
27/08/2014 at 21:30

I am always happy to give general vague opinions as far as I safely dare. It is rare to see a dog or cat above the age of seven or so without marked dental disease and it is a preventative issue that sadly many people just ignore.

Puppy was a patient, photo is actually from several years ago, I should change it to a more recent one or lose a bit of weight so I look like that again...

27/08/2014 at 21:34

Whatever you do don't read my posts about my naughty food thieving Beagle  LOL!! 

Do you have a dog Steve (hope you don't mind me asking)

27/08/2014 at 21:37

We do indeed!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/57768.jpg?width=282&height=200&mode=max

1 to 20 of 29 messages