London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
10 messages
20/06/2013 at 20:17

Evening ... and hello everyone. I am completely new to this forum.

I like to call myself an ambitious gardener who has just started out. I have just recently bought a walk in plastic greenhouse. Any tips?

Also, any tips on any seeds that I can sow? Wuld love to grow some tomoatoes.

Looking forward to chatting with some of you.

Laura

20/06/2013 at 20:40

You may be a little late for tomatoes this year unless you can find plants in the garden centres. A bit late for many other summer vegetables except for those you can grow and eat when small e.g. salad leaves. (At Raymond Blancs restaurant, which has a large kitchen garden they sow a tray of salad leaves every day, and this gives them a constant supply of miniature leaves to decorate the plate!)

Not suggesting you do that but you need fast growing veg. Carrots in a trough might be OK but these will be small, but tasty. Spinach in pots.Radish, spring onions. all of these are usually grown outside in the veg patch, but they will also grow in any old containers too. Give it a go, you have nothing to lose and who knows what you might achieve.

Your other strategy is to plan ahead for autumn planting of broad beans, winter salads

20/06/2013 at 20:52

Welcome Laura.

I think you should be able to get tomato plants now.

Sow lettuce, radishes. Peas, even runner beans.  Beetroot too.  Have a go.  Use this summer as a learning curve so that next summer you will have so experience in the bag.

Good luck and enjoy your new greenhouse

20/06/2013 at 21:07

We still have tomato plants available in B&Q and GCs locally. Salad veg like lettuce and rocket will romp away quickly.

During the winter you can plan for next year's early seed sowing. So much to choose from -  not just edibles of course. Good luck with it - you''l have lots of fun experimenting 

KEF
20/06/2013 at 21:11

Hiya Laura, hope you enjoy the forum.

As WW says you can still grow lots of things, I'm especially enjoying my cut and grow salad stuff in troughs.

At our local B&Q they still have toms, chillies, beans and stuff. Do you like rocket? that will romp on if you sew now, direct into a pot or trough. Herbs should do well, my coriander doing well, also now warm enough for basil.

I take back what I said about needing rain. Just had the entire Spring's worth in 30 mins and it's still at it.  Can we have smiley with an umberella please?

20/06/2013 at 21:18
Laura Turner2 wrote (see)

Evening ... and hello everyone. I am completely new to this forum.

I like to call myself an ambitious gardener who has just started out. I have just recently bought a walk in plastic greenhouse. Any tips?

Also, any tips on any seeds that I can sow? Wuld love to grow some tomoatoes.

Looking forward to chatting with some of you.

Laura

Make sure your walk in plastic greenhouse is secured down. You know the wind will take anything that isn't nailed or super-glued and spoil all your hard work

KEF
20/06/2013 at 21:22

Fairy great cake minds think alike

20/06/2013 at 21:27
KEF wrote (see)

Fairy great cake minds think alike

Forgot the basil though KEF!

And coriander...

20/06/2013 at 22:09

Hi all, thank you so much for your replies, much appreciated. I have sown some seeds tonight, mainly flowers so lets see what happens. You just never know.

Verdun I am definitely going to use this summer as a learning curve, then towards the end of the year plan for sowng next Jan/Feb.

Wintersong - it is definitely secured (I hope).

I am excited about the leafy greens as I have two lizards so I am sure they will appreciate those if they come up.

22/06/2013 at 13:00

Hey t.a.g.

I think you should defo be able to grow tomato plants - especially if you take into consideration the forecast for being a particularly warm summer this year... check out the precictions of ken ring for more info...and even if they dont turn out as good as expected you're still learning!

theres a few more tips on this blog to help http://www.browzer.net/10-of-the-best-gardening-ideas/

anyway best of luck!!

email image
10 messages