London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
9 messages
24/08/2013 at 13:41
Hi all , i would appreciate any info for choosing plants (perennial ) for an evening spot that the old owners on returning from Cyprus made themselves its an evening sit in"" bottle of wine area"" as they called it, table and seats and suchlike and very nice, it gets good light and sun from 10 am ish onwards and catches the last of the sun in the evening, a very pleasant well protected spot, so we would like to add some big mediterranean type pots with new nite time aromas if poss maybe climbers ,im not sure if there are plants that smell nice at nite time,, anyway im giving it a tryandc and luckily we have a really good G/C nearby i can order them from many thanks and good luck,, Alan
24/08/2013 at 14:03

Hesperis matronalis aka Sweet Rocket - not the world's most glamourous flower, but the most beautiful scent which it casts on the evening air.  It looks a bit like a straggly white or purple wallflower, so put it at the back of a bed a few feet from the 'bottle of wine area'.  

Honeysuckle's sweet scent floats through the air on a warm summer evening.  

At the moment our suppers on the terrace are perfumed by a pot of three bulbs of the lily Muscadet  http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-1003332/lily-muscadet/- we can even smell it indoors.

Nightscented stocks are a pretty little annual no terrace or patio should be without, so scatter a few seeds around the garden in the spring before the owners' return.

24/08/2013 at 14:42

Lonicera japonica "Halliana" aka the Sweet Woodbine (and no, I don't smoke) is a honeysuckle that has very small cream flowers, rather underwhelming to look at, that have the most marvellous scent in the evening. Even here in chilly old Derbyshire. It's one of those plants that hides its charms and has people saying "where is that fantastic perfume coming from?"

24/08/2013 at 15:36

I have 7ft tall lillies that give a wonderful smell on warm evenings as we had earlier in the month. Sadly, the flowers have finished now - but I know they will come back next year.  I have had them for about 7 years and they overwinter just fine with no attention needed.  Sorry, but I don't know the variety but the brand was Taylors.   Maggie

24/08/2013 at 15:56

You cannot beat the scent of Valeriana officinalis for scent. In fact it can be a little overwhelming for some but I love it.

For a climber plant Trachelospermum Jasminoides. It wants to climb rather than fall like common jasmine and is much neater in growth habit. Does best in a sheltered sunny position too. Scent is wonderful  

24/08/2013 at 16:20

if you can put it behind something, both for shade and becaue it's not much to look at in the day, Nicotiana affinis. Noy perennial (well, I think it is perennial but not hardy) but no trouble to raise from seed. It's my best evening scent by far

24/08/2013 at 17:15

Try jasmine 'Clotted Cream' I have one and the night purfume is 'to die for', it is a climber. Also Nicotinana Sylvestri. It needs to have it's feet in the ground, but try it in pot's I know people that have, grows to around 3ft. I have saved seed and regrown year on year.

24/08/2013 at 17:46

Agree with honeysuckle but add serotina too.  Delicious scent and prob the best looking flowers.  Jasmine too.

Heliotrope arborescens....the perennial shrubby one ....has delicious scent from late spring on.

For tactile fragrance lemon verbena and salvia elegans (pineapple sage) are powerful scents when brushed past, as are the scented pelargoniums

Daphne Eternal Fragrance will flower throughout the summer months on an evergreen small shrub.

24/08/2013 at 20:08
wow, iv listed every one of them and they sound peerrrrrfect,many thanks for all that great info im very surprised at that response just what the wine ordered have a nice evening everyone Bye 4now,
Alan
email image
9 messages