London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
21 to 37 of 37 messages
23/04/2013 at 18:11
I found bruising the,foliage and adding a tiny amount of fairy liquid works. I,had a sizeable clump in a corner of my garden and it has gone......hopefully, but I will now,check,it out Berghill
23/04/2013 at 19:12

I'm just hoping that my white japanese anemones stay in their pot - they were evicted from the garden for bad behaviour. The pot is surrounded by concrete, so I'm hopeful....

23/04/2013 at 20:50
obelixx wrote (see)

It's funny isn't it.  I like the plant but have a well bahevd clump of the pink stuff that isn't invasive at all.   I would dearly love to have some of the white but it just won't grow.   I have deeply fertile akaline loam which varies from well drained to boggy and the stuf fthat grows for me isin a shady, dampish bed that only gets full sun from 3pm between the equinoxes. 

Good luck with getting rid.  I can sympathise having my own problems with the usual suspects - creeping buttercup, nettles, thistles, couch grass and mare's tail which all love my soil and grow with gay abandon no matter how much I weed them out or paint with glyphosate.

I'm the same as you Obs. My pink September Charm is well behaved. I've only split it once in several yrs, purely because the clump was thin in the middle. I have small spring bulbs growing on top of the clump as it's always late in restarting, so a doyble use of the space.

I would love to grow the white Honerine Jobert, but it just doesnt like 'me'. 3x I've tried, no luck. So now I just remember the little front garden full of it just by the entrance to St Catherine's college, Oxford. J.

25/04/2013 at 21:22

Hey Obelixx do you want some of my white Honorine?  Growing EVERYWHERE, can't dig it out fast enough!  But it's gorgeous.  We're on alkaline clay (south wales, clay over brash flinty stones) and on north facing slope so same problem of no sun between november and february....

26/04/2013 at 15:10

Thanks Rosie but I've tried several times with no success and don't want to kill off any more.

26/04/2013 at 15:21

Are there any other good whites? I've had 2 goes with HJ and the second looks very iffy. I have a pink that's doing OK but way off invasive (as yet) though it's been with be several years.

01/05/2013 at 19:04

I shouldnt have 'spoken' so soon......

I've discovered that the one in the Ashwood hellebore bed is a THUG!! Quite a few bits now in council wheely bin, a couple of bits in pots for daughter- brave soul. I plan to reposition some more 'bits' into a currently 'empty' patch from where I've nearly removed a Viburnum Tinus- the soil there is very impoverished, in shade & If it takes, great! Cant remember variety, but it's worth a try.

I checked on my others, all showing nicely now & being well behaved. J.

01/05/2013 at 19:56

I'm in my second year of growing anemone wild swan.  It's not supposed to be invasive even though one parent is jap anemone

Last year it was wonderful......white flowers, blue on the backs and flowering forever on compact mounds.

01/05/2013 at 20:29

Is wild swan a single Verdun? I like the singles best

01/05/2013 at 21:06

Well, just discovered that  it has split a weed suppressing membrane sheet and is growing in the gravel path. Rather annoying.

01/05/2013 at 21:20

My thugs (that are not recognised weeds) are Virginia creeper (grows across the flower beds and up the middle of shrubs) and periwinkle, which is trying to take over my biggest border, growing over everything else. Have to dig up plants to get the periwinkle out of their roots.

01/05/2013 at 21:33

Nut, yes a single.  Check it out.  It grows about 40 cm.  the star of Chelsea last year

01/05/2013 at 21:35

Thanks Verdun. If Honorine is realyl fading away I shall have to get one of those

02/05/2013 at 14:31

Berghill - I have all sorts growing in weed suppressing membrane - honesty, pulmonaria, hellebores, geranium phaeum plus weeds.  last year after my neck problems and op meant I couldn't garden for 5 months, they got to waist height and had to be strimmed and hacked before being pulled.

02/05/2013 at 16:31

I had a problem with virginia creeper,which eventually I managed to dig out,but as I liked the colour of it ,planted one small root in a large pot with an obeleisk,keeping it trimmed and contained it makes quite a feature when in full colour.

08/05/2013 at 03:38

bump

22/09/2013 at 15:49

Has anyone experienced Japanese anemones changing colour?  Once upon a time I planted some white and some pink and the white ones vanished over time.  I do actually find these plants useful, so on moving house, I dug up a clump and they have been in a pot for two summers.  The pot has just flowered and suddenly I seem to have white flowers again (can't remember what I had last year - it hardly flowered and I was too busy to notice).  I really like the white ones, so I'm pretty happy, but am surprised.  has anyone else had this exxperience?

email image
21 to 37 of 37 messages