Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fat balls in plastic NO

I noticed the fat balls being sold  in those plastic string bags again,surly by now the suppliers / makers  know the birds get there feet caught in them its happened to us last year luckily it got out as i was trying to help,. hope im not going over the top but can we just agree NOT to buy the ones in these plastic death traps, they can still be bought in other bags and bigger drums, perhaps our editor could get a mention by Monty on TV. any comments could help ,anyone know how to get hold of our editor ,Help please. ps i made some up last year from lard and bits ,the birds ate ours first every time 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Good reminder Alan image

My daughter buys the ones in plastic string, but cuts the plastic netting off and puts them in one of these

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Take a pair of scissors and cut the plastic off. It's good to be able to see the fat balls before you buy them as they vary in size and quality. I usually buy them in a big tub. Cheaper that way, but take your calculator along to check it out.
  • jwm70jwm70 Posts: 2

I always buy fat balls in larger size tubs without the nets on them. Find these good value and well recieved by the birds in cold weather.  There are lots of different holder to put them in, ranging from about £1  to some exotic ones around the £30 mark!!! way out of my league but pretty to look at.....don't think the birds mind what you use. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I buy what I can get, sometimes in tubs, sometimes loose and sometimes in bags but nearly always with the plastic strings.   It's a simple matter to cut off the strings and put them in the assorted holders I use to hang them up safely for the birds.

Just need to educate people to do it.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • I make my fat ball holder out of chicken wire and a jam jar lid. True Blue Peter fashionimage

• Sometimes buy the ones with string on, but snip them off and put them in a holder simular to Doves pic, but squirrel proof.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Our petshop doesnt sell them with nets on anymore. They cost 11.50 for a hundred.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I usually make my own by combining seed and dripping.  I cover a feeder like the one Dove has shown in tin foil and fill it to the top.  It takes a short time to set then is unwrapped.  It contains much more than a few balls so I don't have to replace it twice a day.

Aldi have bird feeders, seed, nuts, mealworms and fat balls on special offer tomorrow.  Lyn your deal is better as they are charging £6.99 for 50.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

That's a great idea Lesley. I often make little ones using the fat from bacon when the girls have had a sarnie, but I use a ramekin lined with foil. Yours would be a real labour saving idea! I was in the local B&M ( or BAM shop as we call it -  a Scottish term which describes many of the customers image) which has big tubs of fat ball - similar price to Lyn's petshop  I think. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Be careful with Aldi bird seed. I bought a big bag and it mostly consisted of grains the birds rejected so it was a false economy.