London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
41 to 47 of 47 messages
17/07/2014 at 22:12

Does anyone make their own brine pickles? I am mad for them. Ever since I first pickled some (admittedly) shop-bought carrots in brine, I can't stop making them! They are amazingly healthy too, in spite of the scare stories about salt. They're known as lacto-fermented foods, and as such extremely good for you. Anyone keen on a recipe? (Or two? Or three? Or more??)

19/07/2014 at 16:47
I'm very new to this allotment / home growing stuff

Yesterday I made rhubarb crumble muffins, and today I've done rhubarb and plum crumble. Both are/were lovely!

Tomorrow I'm going to make beetroot, carrot and potato cakes to go with Sunday dinner.

I'm going to have to take regular days off work for all the baking and cooking when the season is in full flow next year!

With last years tomatoes and garlic, I roasted them in the oven with some olive oil, added some peppers or chillies to various batches then blitzed it all down for pasta sauce. I did that in September and I still have loads in the freezer. Doesn't look like such a good tomato harvest this year though
24/11/2014 at 19:13
Does anyone have monty&sarahs recipe for braised red cabbage? Thx
Yesterday at 11:48

Tara.......I love garlic in brine........delicious

Butternut Squash risotto  is also worth the space the plants take up. 

Yesterday at 23:34

Tara... Would love some pickle recipes Please. 

Yesterday at 23:56

lots of eating pumpkins and turban squash but everyone seems to know what to do with them. so. . . . . .tuna fish sandwiches with lots of arugula its the only thing still growing in the garden.

Today at 12:37

I make a sweet and sour red salad with red cabbage and beetroot.  Much nicer than brasied red cabbage.  Good with hot or cold pork and chicken and sausages and good for snacking too.   Depending on the time of year, the cabbage, radishes, beetroot and red onion come from the garden:- 

SWEET & SOUR RED SALAD

250g / 8oz red cabbage, shredded

430g / 15oz tin        red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

125g / 4oz radishes, sliced

1              small red onion, sliced thinly

1              red bell pepper, cored and diced

200g / 7oz beetroot, cooked and cut into strips

1              red apple, cored and cut into chunks

Dressing:-

4 tbs        red wine vinegar

4 tbs        soft brown sugar

2 tbs        light soy sauce

2 tbs        sunflower, safflower, rapeseed or grapeseed oil

Cover the cabbage with boiling water and leave for 5 minutes without further heat.  Drain well.

Combine all the salad ingredients.

Combine all the dressing ingredients and taste for seasoning.   Some people find it more sweet than sour so you may want to adjust the vinegar levels.

Toss the salad in the dressing.   The salad benefits from being left to marinate an hour or two before serving and keeps well for at least a week.   

email image
41 to 47 of 47 messages