Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Favourite allotment food recipes

Add recipes here to create a useful RECIPE BANK of dishes using mainly typical allotment food.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Heat oven to 180

Peel and cut beetroot into quarters, peel and quarter red onions, scrub, quarter, de-seed and cut up a squash (I don't bother to peel) add a load of unpeeled garlic, scrub and half some carrots, fling in a handful of tomatoes, pour oil of choice over, about 2 tablespoons, just enough to stop burning, add herbs of choice, mix it all together and cook for 40/45 mins.

When you have got bored with these roasted veg, whizz them up with stock to make fab soup.image

• now that sounds good,I made sweet potatoe soup (red skinned)with courgette ,oinion,red pepper,and silton to top,(you can use tabasco sauce to make it hotter if you like.make it the way of any soup , very good ,imagedont forget the veggie stock.

Flowering r I have never thought to make soup from sweet potatoe what a good idea.

Last nights soup; Cauliflower and cheese.

Save all your cheese rinds in a plastic box in fridge, harvest a cauli.

Peel and slice 3 onions (I use food processorimage) seethe on a v. low heat, shake pan from time to time, in a little oil in heavy based pan with lid for 10 mins. Add finely sliced cauli, leaves, stalk and all, cook on low heat for further 10. Add stock, dried sage and cheese rinds, simmer 12/15 mins. Wizz in blender, I then pass through a mouli legume (hand food mill) to make it creamy smooth.

• now that is good,I had that at a cafe ,and I wondered what the recipe for that was ,image

• PUMPKIN CHILLI RECIPE

There were quite a few allotment PUMPKINS this year. New England Pie variety (culinary).

Pumpkin can absorb flavours and I really like using it in in VEGETABLE CHILLI. This is a ROUGH INDICATION of how I usually go about making it. HOPE IT IS USEFUL! Prepare pumpkin. I usually cut it into small cubes or similar. Then you need to lightly fry some onion (optional garlic), Meanwhile, cook pumpkin (boil & then simmer) until softens (approx 10/15 mins but can easily vary) Transfer ONION and PUMPKIN to a larger cooking pot while adding TINNED TOMATO. I tend to use several tins so that I can use more pumpkin and then freeze spare batches in plastic Chinese takeaway style containers later (available in packs from most pound shops, discount supermarkets or similar) Add RED LENTILS (plenty) and CHILLI SAUCE (add according to your taste !!!) Heat up and then leave simmering while you prepare rest of meal. (about 20 mins? until lentils soft) I finally add a tin of pre cooked red kidney beans to the chilli a few minutes before serving as they only need cooking for a short time(baked beans could also be added). Spare pumpkin can always be frozen after the boil and simmer stage and will keep for a few months. Although salt is usually used minimally, a pinch of salt added in the cooking stage is supposed help the preserving process. The pumpkin should also be okay for a while if just chopped /diced and frozen in a sealed freezer bag or container.

I am a huge fan of juicing; the base for juices is apples and carrots, then you can add anything you want; scrubbed raw beetroot give a delicious earthy flavour, add a small chunk of raw ginger - nectar. Courgette adds a creamyness, raw parsnip, sprouts, tightly rolled up cabbage leaves should go through the juicer ok. Sprout tops are sensational in a juice, the list is endless, but I draw the line at aubergine and potatoes. Juicing is great for using up a glut of veg/fruit. It is, of course, sensationally healthyimage

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

On our roast veg - whatever is available; courgette, aubergine - immediately before serving we add a squeeze of lemon over them, it just adds a little zing 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I always have too many courgettes that have got a bit too big - so courgette and mint soup. Peel and chop an onion, fry until turning gold in tbs olive oil. Chop 2 courgettes add to pan. Cover with chicken or veg stock, simmer until soft. Add handful of mint leaves. Take off heat. Whizz in blender or with stick blender. Season to taste. Serve hot or chilled with swirl of cream.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

Courgette and mint sounds like a great combination; it will have to be my next soup!