London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
7 messages
27/04/2014 at 22:15

Ok, this might be me but do you have a favourite pest? You know that eat your garden or cause damage, but you just cannot help but like them. My 'loveable rogue' is the Scarlett Lily Beetle. They are such a lovely bright red.

I also found the other day the most humungous slug, it must have been two inches long. It's markings were the cross between mackerel and a tabby cat. It's most likely inside a blackbird now has I put it in the middle of the grass. Not loveable just fascinating.

27/04/2014 at 22:48

The voles that dig tunnels under every flower bed causing the plants' roots to dry out, eat every strawberry (leaving a neat little pile of pips) - I just look at their cute little furry faces and little blackberry eyes and forgive them everything.

27/04/2014 at 23:20

My 3 sons! LOL 

27/04/2014 at 23:28

Have a grudging admiration for the deer, that neatly munch everything in sight

27/04/2014 at 23:34

My fav pest is ME.  I am the most clumsy person with my size 11 feet.  If I'm thinning carrots you can be sure I will flatten a few onions in the next row.  If I'm watering the garden I will damage a plant in my impatience to drag the hose. I will jump over something in my veg patch and land on a lettuce. Yep, ME 

28/04/2014 at 08:21

We don't have a lot of snails in this garden, but those we do have are mainly the lovely banded ones, that look like mint humbugs, they're so pretty 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43910.jpg?width=200&height=252&mode=max

We also have large red slugs Arion rufus who mate on our lawn on damp summer mornings - they are impressive, and as they eat the keel slugs and little grey ones that do most of the damage in the garden, I leave them alone. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43911.jpg?width=450&height=350&mode=max

28/04/2014 at 12:30

OMG Dove, what are you trying to do to me, urgghhhh haven't even read what you've written.  Had to move the page up quickly  Glad I wasn't eating birthday cake at the time 

Anyway, my favourite pest (wait for the moans!!) is squirrels, they are just so cute and cheeky and I love the way they tease the dogs by running along the back fence 

email image
7 messages