London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
21 to 40 of 124 messages
17/02/2013 at 09:01
Verdun wrote (see)
Nice one nut. Watch out...they're addictive!

Too late Verdun. Already addicted. 

17/02/2013 at 09:06

That is absolutely gorgeous Nut - does it have a name?

17/02/2013 at 09:43
That's lovely , would look lovely here
17/02/2013 at 10:27
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

That is absolutely gorgeous Nut - does it have a name?

Hi Dove, It's Harvington White Speckled. There's a website on the label, www.hughnunn.co.uk

Most of my others are from seed but I thought this would introduce new blood. Won't be a lot of crossing done this year though, something has eaten the flowers off most of them out there and I broke the main stalk on this new one on the way home.

17/02/2013 at 10:33

Thanks - (bad luck about snapping the stem ) - I've followed your links and found this one which is gorgeous too http://www.twelvenunns.co.uk/nursery/product/hellebores/harvington-dusky-single/ 

17/02/2013 at 10:35

That's a very nice one Dove, are you going to buy it?

17/02/2013 at 10:48

Just had a stroll around and my peaonies are sending up their lovely red shoots - phew.

17/02/2013 at 11:11
Did my first stint in the garden yesterday. Was so good to be outside again. Unfortunately, not gardening as such, but clearing my front garden of all the rubbish, ie, plastic containers, leaves, etc! Beautiful day today so am going to see what 'light' jobs I can find being as my clay earth is still sodden. No diggng. No doubt will start with secateurs and end up with a saw! Does anyone else have that problem?

Do love the Hellibore photo. Never grown them but are now on the list.
17/02/2013 at 11:30

Clay soil here. Daren't walk on it, but need to tidy up

Some parts are still waterlogged, and everywhere squelches

Put in raised beds for veg and can work those 0 a success would recommend them to anyone with same problem.

17/02/2013 at 12:28

Mid-February and right now the bird table is swamped with about 30 odd starlings which have just returned from the south. Still six inches of snow here, but they are sure sign that Spring is on its way, yoo hoo!

17/02/2013 at 12:35

I haven't seen starlings in years.. Used to see them all the time where my parents are

17/02/2013 at 12:42
Dove, I'm going to get in first and get it. ...no not really but that looks a nice hellebore. Not got one quite like that. Thinking about crossing a couple of hellebores this year. Hiya nut. Got a similar hellebore to yours ...it's a shame one stem broke but at least you've got it and it will be even better next year.
17/02/2013 at 13:03

I'm not too disappointed Verdun, though I swore when it fell out of the car when I opened the door. Hardly enough flowering hellebores this year to cross. That I am disappointed about. 

17/02/2013 at 14:22
Have you crossed any hellebores so far? Has anyone done this on the forum? I think it's straightforward enough. I think they look good with clumps of snowdrops right now
17/02/2013 at 15:50

I haven't crossed any but I've had some quite acceptable voluntary crossings. One of the many things I've never got round to

17/02/2013 at 18:09
I did get a very good seedling quite different to others I have. I usually pull up most seedling but there were a few around a good hellebore I had so potted them up. It's difficult to choose which two to choose for crossing but will have a go soon..maybe a large bright purple with a yellow? Sound good or not???
17/02/2013 at 18:29

Was down in Bedfordshire today and saw a starling, first one for over a year!

How do you go about crossing Hellebores?

17/02/2013 at 19:06

Went to the GC today with my friend and got some seed compost also some general potting compost 4 bags for £10.00,  it's nice stuff much better than B+Q's Verve as that has gone all twiggy sort of not rotted down properly so just need some warmer weather now so I can set some seeds away.

17/02/2013 at 19:16
Well, I think you choose one hellebore to receive The pollen from anther chosen variety. A soft brush, a bright sunny day and then regularly watch out for seeds developing and before they're shed you gather them. But......I will read up properly first. I have a notion a paper bag inside a polythene one is tied to the receiving hellebore flower............
17/02/2013 at 20:00
Verdun wrote (see)
I did get a very good seedling quite different to others I have. I usually pull up most seedling but there were a few around a good hellebore I had so potted them up. It's difficult to choose which two to choose for crossing but will have a go soon..maybe a large bright purple with a yellow? Sound good or not???

If the colours were separate, lovely. Mixed together?  no

21 to 40 of 124 messages