London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 124 messages
15/02/2013 at 21:41

Well I have been reading about the need for a friendly chat thread so thought I would kick it off. I hope I have not trod on anyones toes but cannot wait till March.

It has been a cold day today but the sun has made an appearance along with the daffs and snowdrops. All my plans seem so optimistc now hope we do not have another wet summer.

15/02/2013 at 21:45
Evening ..
A soggy garden here , been clearing debris to find shoots appearing , the snowdrops look lovely , daffs arnt even up yet , only just poking from the soil here, more sun should encourage them....and yes please not another wet summer
15/02/2013 at 21:50

I think in general us gardeners are an optimistic bunch .  It was so good to be outside in the sunshine today and seeing shoots appearing.  I can never remember where I plant things and it's always a lovely surprise to see what pops up. 

15/02/2013 at 21:52
I'm very excited about the new season. Some parts of my garden will be nearly two years old and I'm still amazed to find new growth emerging from the perennials. The weather does seem to be warming up and I've got everything crossed it doesn't rain too much this year. Hoping to put up yet more trellis this weekend and plant a lovely climbing rose and clematis cirrhosa. Happy gardening!
15/02/2013 at 22:05

Hi newbee flowergirl. I've ordered sunshine and rather less rain for this summer. Some parts of my garden have been under water for months now and today OH had a major dig at the outflow of the pond. Gushing away now, hopefully in time to see the fritillaries when they come through.

16/02/2013 at 09:35

Hi everyone, I've just bought a new pair of wellies and begun clearing the debris from the borders, trying not to get ahead of Spring in my eagerness, or tread on tulips and perennials whilst I prune back and dig out all the plants in the wrong place last year.   I took a peek at my compost too and it's looking good but wet  so more protection needed next year.

Also got some bargain plants in the half-price B&Q sale  which were extremely heavy carrying home.  Teach me to be greedy.

16/02/2013 at 11:53

It looks lovely outside, I have nearly finished the cleaning so will be heading out there soon. Lotso f tidying to do

16/02/2013 at 11:54

Hello, I'm excited about the new growing season too. A lot of the beds have now been cleared of weeds and dead plants, others have been cut back and there are lots of spring bulbs coming up. The beds all of sudden look big and empty,ready for all the new plants

16/02/2013 at 12:14

Is it just me or do others out there just have to buy the plants in clearence to 'save them'

16/02/2013 at 12:16
Pauls2 I'm with you on the plant saving
16/02/2013 at 12:24

Paul I do the same, had some really good results, just by cutting all the dead leaves off them and give them some tlc

16/02/2013 at 15:53
Temperature hit 16 degrees at lunchtime. Absolutely gorgeous. Bit cooler now, down to 11 and it's bit cloudy but the "feel" is in the air. At Godrevy beach, my local beach, everyone has a smile and the dogs look happy too. Feb in the garden is great, reflecting feb in the great outdoors
16/02/2013 at 16:21

things are beginning to stir here at last and the sun has been seen in the sky along side the Asteroid.

16/02/2013 at 17:31

im just the same im in the second year of my new house and recently dug a new bed ,so its looking very bare and i cannot resist the GC and bulk buying in bulbs ,lilies,dahlias also buying a purple climbing rose ( hope it is actually purple ) and a shrub or two , ive even started to pot on my windowsil of poppys and a first flush of sweetpeas.....come on spring we are all waiting for you !

16/02/2013 at 17:51

Looked around yesterday and was well pleased to see flower buds appearing on the early shrubs, also on the clematis cartmanii. Really felt that spring was springing

I have a large garden to fill so always head for the plant sale. Latest  purchase was a bare looking pyracantha with orange berries. it has been in garden about 3 weeks and is already looking happier. I do tend to buy plants I want if not the exact variety in the sales.

16/02/2013 at 18:57

I agree, us gardeners are such a happy lot! The smallest bud at this time of year gives so much pleasure. Welcome newbee flowergirl and happy gardening.

16/02/2013 at 20:48

I bought a new hellebore

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/18693.jpg?width=734&height=350&mode=max

17/02/2013 at 00:03
Nice one nut. Watch out...they're addictive!
17/02/2013 at 07:04

We have had a couple of very nice sunny days, Im hoping that the next few will be good too. I want to get out in the garden and tackle the outstanding digging and pruning jobs I need to do in order to be ready and take delivery of the copious amounts of plants I ordered for free yes free... How happy am I?

17/02/2013 at 07:17
Morning Dave, not many of us around yet. My garden is looking a mess, ground sodden, on a hillside but wet clay, so can be tricky gardening at this time of year. Have someone coming in Spring to sort out my steps, currently dangerous and highly likely to take a tumble!
1 to 20 of 124 messages