London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
7 messages
15/01/2014 at 15:44

There are several varieties on sale. Which do people think are best for using in salads?  I've had Pentland Javelin but wasn't  keen.  To be grown in potato sacks. And when is the right time at start to chit?   Thanks for your opinions, Maggie

KEF
15/01/2014 at 16:23

Mags I've brought back 2 threads about spuds that might interest you. Have a look in latest posts.

16/01/2014 at 11:41

Well, done a few of these in my time...but for salads, I doubt if there are many to match Lady Christl.

16/01/2014 at 19:13

Thanks David.  I will look out for those.  Mags

17/01/2014 at 11:33

Good luck with them, Mags.....perhaps you may not see them in the GCs or shops, but I know T&M & Marshalls stock them.

KEF
21/01/2014 at 19:22

I've bought my seed spuds today. Only grow 1st Earlies, in tubs and sacks. Don't have room in my garden.

Have bought Pentland Javelin which I find quite tasty and store well. Still have a few left from last year and they are fine. Will say we aren't huge potato eaters. I do think any you grow yourself taste bettter than shop ones.

I've looked for Lady Christi, but not sold where I've been. I only want a very small bag so haven't even considered buying from stockists David told us about. Only need a bag of 12.

For a change I've also bought a few Vales Emerald, has anyone grown these and what is your opinion?  If you don't rate them please say before I start to chit them.

Ta for any feedback.

21/01/2014 at 19:58

I like to try a few different varieties each year but like Red Duke of York and Pentland Javelin as 1st earlies, I've also Wilja as a 2nd early again this year and am trying Mozart as a main. 

Brother's favourites are Golden Wonder, Anna Bell, Maris Peer and Piccasso, he's asked me to get him some from the fair at the weekend not sure whether they are 1st, 2nd or main though.

I've already started chitting, it's a bit early but if they are in the GC 's and shops now, if you wait to buy them, they tend to start growing in their bags whilst on the shelves.

email image
7 messages