Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Foreign Seeds

This is the first time I will have been on holiday abroad since becoming very interested in gardening.  So, I was wondering, if I see a plant I like and there are seeds, am I allowed to bring these home (from Greece not tropical).

Obviously I would take a pic so I could ID the plant later image I just wondered what general thoughts were.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I would email RHS about that.image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Ooh, I don't know if I'm brave enough to email RHS image why do you say that Artjak? 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

From EEC countries you can bring stuff back for your own use, provided it is free from disease and pests.

From Non EEC countries you are allowed up to 2kg of bulbs and 5 small packets of seeds that are commercially packed.

Oh thank you FB, do you know does that need to be in packets (ie bought) or can I collect seed if there is any image I may of course be getting ahead if myself, there may not be anything of interest but I do know when we went to Corfu the plants and flowers on the mountains was beautiful image

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

You can move plants and seeds within the EU but something you find growing in Greece is unlikely to be a success in the UK without resources like greenhouses and propagators and such.

There are regulations about movements of plants and seeds between the other parts of the world and the EU because of the risk of disease, invasion etc.    If you're unsure, check with DEFRA or the RHS.   Both are there to inform and help.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I've brought back ricinus seeds from Greece and almost 100% germinate. They don't last the winter outside here in North Devon ( too wet I suspect) but I'm growing them in 25L pots this year and plan to store in polytunnel.

I reckon if you can leave cannas, dahlias and the like in the ground, you'd get away with Ricinus too.

I also brought seed of Dahlia Imperialis back from Tamil Nadu in Southern India and they grow well from seed too.

Devon.
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,933

In the cottage garden society seed lists there are seeds in the swap from members who live in other countries so it must be ok for certain ones.

Though I know Australia are very strict on this issue.had a friend who wanted to send some over but was not allowed.

I wasn't even allowed to send a brand new bedding in it's packagaing to Oz Cangran!! They are really strict.  I bought Father Christmas bedding for my little cousins last Christmas but they never got it image

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Bringing in uncontrolled plant specimens as seeds, cutting or whole plants form non EU countries is fraught with danger - bacteria, viruses and pests can all get in and establish themselves quickly where there is no local resistance or predators.

Commercial growers and suppliers are required to follow strict standards and be licensed.   Bringing unlicensed and unprocessed stuff in from outside the EU is just plain daft especially given how easy it is to source quality checked seeds via the internet these days.

OZ, NZ and the USA are strict for good reasons.   Asia will catch up one day to protect their own flora and fauna.  We already know we need stricter controls within the UK to prevent invasive critters anf illnesses coming in form eastern EU countries - ash tree sickness, horse-chestut bugs, invasive pond life.  

Amateurs should not risk our own flora and fauna by exposing it thoughtlessly to foreign bodies of any sort.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato

Thank you Obelixx......sometimes us amateurs just get carried away with enthusiasm I suppose, but as Greece is an EU country I think maybe your dressing down was a but harsh.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your comments....I'll just but some from the shop image