Start a new thread

22,301 to 22,320 of 29,275 replies

FloBear

You can't 'type' on those devices, can you Caz? That's why I really don't want one. No doubt that's why Twitter was invented so the agony of stabbing at letters one-fingered could be minimised!

Caz W

Same here Flo - I'm more than happy with my laptop (nice big screen too).

We actually did a few lessons of typing to music when I was learning to type

Advertisement

sotongeoff

Do you remember changing ribbons- and adding machines?

Pennine Petal
Tick tack, tick tack, tick tack, ping!
sotongeoff

Sorry-evening Dove-welcome home

Pennine Petal
Banda machines? Ribbon ink and carbon ink all over your fingers? Holes in the copy paper?
FloBear

I've still got my Mum's old Olivetti that I learnt to type on. Keep thinking I ought to dispose of it. It's not exactly ornamental but it's a bit of an heirloom.

Oh yes, Glyn, Banda! The kids always inhaled deeply when papers were handed out

FloBear

Right, minutes done, off to tellywatch now.

sotongeoff

Martin Brice in his office in Ever Decreasing Circles

Caz W

And sometimes you'd have to take the ribbon out to cut a stencil.  If you made a mistake you used a pink correction fluid which everybody loved to sniff - only excitement we had in those days

Caz W

OH has just brought me a Crunchie

Time for Death in Paradise now then off to bed - school tomorrow!!  Son and friend due to arrive tomorrow pm to stay for a few days so will pop in when I can.

Advertisement

Dovefromabove

I learnt to touch-type on great big old Remington machines that had all the letters missing off the keys - we did typing to music every day of the first term!  

Lovetogarden

I learnt to type to music too. I can still remember the teacher saying the letters out loud. I never got the hang of shorthand Oh the joy of correction fluid and carbon paper, holes in the paper when you hit the key too hard, no electric typewriters then, cleaning out the  keys when they got bunged up with ink and paper., some of my early efforts were awful to say the least.

Pennine Petal
We had a box over the keys and were told to keep our wrists up. I still use the shorthand now and again, but was never much good at it. I asked too many questions, usually why......
Dovefromabove

Our shorthand tutor had a problem with the word 'squirrel' - it was amazing how  many  times it occurred in dictation 

I'm falling asleep now so I'll say goodnight - see you in the morning.