London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
26/07/2012 at 15:02

Wow that gives me palpitations the thought of my other half being allowed to prune in the garden! We came to an agreement some years ago that he does the hard landscaping. I wont even let him cut the grass. An elderly neighbour once said to me it wasnt fair on me doing the garden on my own but I replied with, I get my own way if I do. Not that Im a control freak or anything like that

26/07/2012 at 15:21

I am just trying to get rid of the lawn, it is a slow process but I am getting there 

26/07/2012 at 15:58

Pam, hope you're ok - must have been very stressful for everyone. I heard about it a bit earlier - in fact my OH called me and asked me if it was your road.

Geoff, maybe your neighbour isn't so bad after all....

26/07/2012 at 16:13

Progressively widening beds has two advantages - it allows more space for plants, and it reduces the effort required in lawn mowing - it's win-win all round. It's a no-brainer.

Eventually you will arrive at a point where you have a narrow grass path winding between flower beds, a bit like Pam's rear garden. You then have to bite the bullet, and replace the grass with pebbles, like Pam's. Then you have eliminated lawn, and all the work, and it looks really nice and tidy. 

26/07/2012 at 16:20

I am a no brainer 

26/07/2012 at 17:14

I think one day we'll have no grass when we have no dogs. My OH has warned me Ive not to widen the borders anymore huh little does he know that Ive taken six inches off since Pams did look nice with the gravel paths I liked the idea of wee rooms it was amazing what was fitted in. I must say I lifted the grass in the front garden two years ago and I really dont miss it

26/07/2012 at 17:23

Am back from frazzling day 3 or is it 4?-have caught up on the gossip and also have used the wee room

26/07/2012 at 17:33

Been watching super Lympics build up on BBC1/BBC News. Amazing crowds in central London along the torch route, and Jon Sopel showing us round the park - he commented on the gardens, which will be shown on GW tomorrow. But if things carry on like this, I won't be watching GW.

26/07/2012 at 17:43

Kate, do not fall off your chair in surprise - my boss actually bought us ice creams this afternoon!! I am amazed!

I am going home now as we are going to the GC - its open late on Thursdays and has just had a major re-vamp!

26/07/2012 at 20:06

Lottie lucckily I was sat down, maybe he has turned a corner.

It is a lovely evening here, would have been perfect for a little after dinner gardening or patio sitting but my neighbour has spent the last 3 hours pressure washing his patio, why is it so noisey and a bird has somehow used my indoor windowsill as a toilet

26/07/2012 at 20:16

Hi all. Will catch up later with goings on.

No furniture, well what did i expect? Will be asking for full refund, OH agrees. Both annoyed as did really like the cabinet...... Daughter, of course, disagrees & says should give them another chance! Why? 3 is more than enough as far as am concerned.

Anyway had a good pottering day outside. Decided to remove the 'blind' unknown crocosmia from a side bed where it was smothering everything- even hardy geraniums & tellima were struggling. Know that there are still corms left, the soil was so dry, but should be much easier to pull any up that regrows & gradually weaken it, I hope.

The 'blind' hosta pot didnt have any VW signs, but it must have been last years' casualty as virtually no sign of hosta roots, just the aquilegia growing on top. Spread the compost out on slabs to check, but no signs of trouble so have bagged it up for mulch use. Pot scrubbed out & even stored away! J.

26/07/2012 at 20:48

How can anyone spend that much time cleaning a patio-nutter

Isn't there olympic footy on?-don't forget the hoarder programme

Jo -there is always tomorrow-go out then it will come

26/07/2012 at 21:14

Funny you should say that Geoff, the first delvery day was to be friday but then they said 'today', monday if I wanted......& we all know what happened next! I may trot up to local shops anyway as need some nail varnish! Got a wedding on Saturday & my nails are discoloured after the chemo, so disguise is needed!

Just caught the last bit of 'Cool Runnnings' -the film about the Jamaican bob sleigh team at the Calgary winter olympics. Got the DVD but it still makes me smile, a real 'feel good' film. I first heard about it on world service one early morning when i couldnt sleep & mentioned it to daughter, who knew about the film. J.

26/07/2012 at 21:51

Lottie did you treat yourself to anything nice at the GC

26/07/2012 at 22:38

Hi, Hello folks .... just came on here to brag .... just went outside with a torch and squidged 3 vine weevils on my only primula, and a slug 

26/07/2012 at 23:22

@Dovefromabove my biggest haul of weevil was 22 

@Geoff footy was not good, they do not feel like a team

@Jo I would not cancel but go for compensation.

27/07/2012 at 06:45

Morning all -this looks like the last of the hot ones

I will keep Jenny's tips in mind if I don't like the cut of the jib of any potential buyers-don't want any riff-raff round here.

I think there may be a third instlament for the hoarde chappie to come

I am really excited about today and the lympics

27/07/2012 at 09:00

Did anyone here ring bells at 08.12? I gave the parrot's bell a few tinkles, she looked affronted at me messing around with her toy.

I'm looking forward to Lympics too. I can get terribly excited about sports I've barely even heard of!

27/07/2012 at 09:09

Just got back from Sainsbury's. Noticed the official Lympic Guide on sale. A thick book. Several people were buying. I had a flip through. Seemed more like a typical glossy mag, and very low on substance, IMO. Only a double page spread in the middle with the timetable. Much better timetable in 16-page supplement in Radio Times. Actually bought Time magazine, which had a photo of Jessica Ennis on the cover.

Also bought Team GB baseball cap, ideal for gardening. Sainsburys were sold out of most ice creams, but no problem, if weather is due to change.

27/07/2012 at 09:40

I got an inflatable glove and a flag with the paper at the weekend-flag is fluttering outside-hand I blew up and let down again-not sure what I am supposed to do with it

I didn't tinkle but watched embarrassed presenters on Breakfast tinkling