London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
23/03/2013 at 22:06
Ohhh don't ask me bout cameras ...no idea ...

When did you get chimney swept... We left ours 5yrs ..hehe , was still working , better once cleaned .,ours is multi fuel . Tend to use hardwood , but if really cold or damp wood coal goes on at beginning . We have plenty kindling to get the heat in first (work) use up scrap wood ...need the heat blasting before logs ... More kindling to get hot then logs .
23/03/2013 at 22:06
Yes goldi yes
23/03/2013 at 22:12

Fire only been in since Christmas 2011. So not really used until this year(winter). Usually bring wood in in the morning cos of condensation and this lot had been in since yesterday.

Will give it a good clean tomorrow and see how it goes -- we use scrap wood from untreated cupboards, neighbour gave us loads, and before that we had loads from builder next door, for kindling.

23/03/2013 at 22:15

Chim-chimenee - cor blimey do they act like that now???

23/03/2013 at 22:20
Your main logs need to be dryer if not seasoned ... We don't buy seasoned , when we get delivered I stack (high) by burner to dry them , the ones were using been there a week , today's I stacked have been in porch in baskets a week first, now by fire . We use hardwood (firs and birch local ) can smell it drying
They have to be very dry to give you the heat . I will take pic of my hearth ooo-errrr tomo so you see what I mean
23/03/2013 at 22:22
Ps we got our 2006 when building house, had windows doors that's all...used it to dry out plaster ... We lived in hobby tourer in garden ,..sat on our garden seat by wood burner in liv rm of house at night to warm up
23/03/2013 at 22:23

Well, that's madam asleep. Lovely peace and quiet.

23/03/2013 at 22:26
Nowt happening here ...been deserted
23/03/2013 at 22:29

Deserting as well-got me nightshirt on and my candle lit-Scrooge is leaving the building

23/03/2013 at 22:29

Oh Bunny! What have you done to them all!!

23/03/2013 at 22:32

Logs are well seasoned - chopped down in 2011 and stored first in garden under tarpaulin and then in side entry (covered) when chopped. they feel light as well.

They are dry and do give a good heat. 

Last time I cleaned air vents and were much better. 

23/03/2013 at 22:35
Geoffs getting boring

Must just be the draw then ,.... Do you have to have it on full draw all time ...

I use poker to wedge doors without closing to blast the heat into metal ...

When do you light it ?
23/03/2013 at 22:49

So jealous of you lot with proper fires.

On the other hand, my flat was brand new when I moved in June 2011 so it is very well insulated etc. In fact, the colder the weather, the warmer my flat gets as it is on the first floor of a three storey block, and most of the other inhabitants crank their heating up as soon as their slippers get cold. This is for people over 55, so quite a few of them are retired.

[Sits on hands about curtain twitching busybodies]

23/03/2013 at 23:00
Could someone send me some lovely logs along with the rope seal stuff for my log burner??
Having to make do with central heating up high. Ohhh the cost! Warm though!
23/03/2013 at 23:01
Bunny I jeed a lot of draw. Mine is a bit lacking.
23/03/2013 at 23:03
Ours is mega insulated too ..had to be to pass whatever laws ... Once heat in whoooaaaa sauna hehe . We hardly use heating (oil) as doors always open etc , rely on wood burner at night and hate radiator heat in bedroom , rather have many layers (me) duvet still skinny tog for mr bunny

Don't sit on hands...telllllllllllll
23/03/2013 at 23:24
Bunny bet you wish you had my pink fluffy onesie?
23/03/2013 at 23:32
Sue I wouldn't want to go for pppppppp I'm a onesie

Have you not got that rope yet ? Internet girl ,.......Internet !!!!!!!!!! Use a bloody poker , don't close doors , wedge with poker , creates more draw
23/03/2013 at 23:47

We have a catch to hold door open when first lit to make a good draw, which it does. When it is working we leave all doors open as heat sort of gets all through house. Doesn't really hit sons room at far end but hey he's not in there that much. Did make a lot of difference to heat bill last year. We shall see if this prolonged winter has much effect.

Tired now. May go to bed, dog has had pee. i think he had forgotten there was snow as he became very excited outside but at 11 at night I didn't respond

Night. Will keep you posted about fire tomorrow and what i do.

23/03/2013 at 23:50
We shall sort the silly fire ! Sleep,well