London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
03/04/2013 at 18:54
It's been very warm today in back garden....touched 15 degrees...but no wind and blue skies. Got some pruning done and a couple of pots of blue anemones that I potted up last autumn we're planted today in full flower
03/04/2013 at 19:42

At last! A lovely day in the garden! Planted up four troughs with alliums and pansies and did lots of little maintenance jobs in the glorious fresh air and sunshine. Then had to get ready to visit OH's elderly sister in hospital and ws just getting myself together to leave when my neice texted me to say she ws going to visit with her two daughters. Reprieve! So now I have time to look at the forum. Lovely!

03/04/2013 at 19:54

Hello    I'm home, fed and watered - I've inspected the garden, no seeds emerged yet, but the clematis and honeysuckle leaf buds are bursting - no seeds up yet but the pelargonium cuttings look healthy - that's the garden inspection done for today - feet up now ready to watch the Hairy Bikers and Masterchef - it's ok, there's room on the sofa for you lot too 

03/04/2013 at 21:33

Dove 

GG have you got some sweet peas in yet?

Mine only took a week on kitchen windowsill so they'll be good and ready when the time comes to stick them outside. Looking forward to that! I do like alliums...oh dear i'm not going to be able to resist going to GC/nursery 

03/04/2013 at 21:37
Pennine Petal wrote (see)
I'd like a nice conservatory GG, but listed cottage, so can't. I wonder if you can get delisted?

Would you be allowed a 'garden room' type of addition done to match existing stonework? (I'm assuming you have something like that on the exterior!) 

03/04/2013 at 22:00

Can I build a conservatory on to a first floor Housing Association flat?

Probably not.......

03/04/2013 at 22:27

When we lived in England our house was listed (in Kent). We were allowed a conservatory on condition it was in oak and brick with leaded light windows. But that was 1982.

04/04/2013 at 06:59

I live in an elderly bungalow that we bought fairly cheaply a few years ago because it needed a  lot of of renovation. The renovation is still ongoing, ten years later - we like renovating properties, but bit off more than we could chew (financially) this time. It did mean we could build a large conservatory, which doubles as a dining room and garden room. And laundry drying area...and dog kennel...and, since the demise of the greenhouse, seed and cutting bringer-on-er... It is, in many ways, an ideal retirement bungalow, but, oh, I'm depressed by that idea. I'm ready for the next challenge, really - somewhere a bit further west and a bit more rural with a bigger garden, because I am in denial about being 66 and think I'm 27...

04/04/2013 at 07:05

I'm 27 too GG, it is definitely the best age to be - I've always thought so, ever since 1979 

04/04/2013 at 07:17

I've thought it a bit longer than that, Dove...

Fairygirl, I haven't planted the sweet peas. I'm intimidated by the fact that many people will have planted them last autumn. I have planted some ipomoea, though, and could still plant the sweet peas. I read in a gardening mag this week that the best sweet peas to plant now are the old fashioned ones.

04/04/2013 at 07:39

I was going to plant my sweet peas last autumn, got the tubes all ready etc, but then Pa took really poorly again and they just didn't get done - I'm going to do them this weekend 

04/04/2013 at 08:01
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

I've thought it a bit longer than that, Dove...

Fairygirl, I haven't planted the sweet peas. I'm intimidated by the fact that many people will have planted them last autumn. I have planted some ipomoea, though, and could still plant the sweet peas. I read in a gardening mag this week that the best sweet peas to plant now are the old fashioned ones.

GG I've never done them in te autumn- I'm not that organised! I usually sow direct and although they might be a bit later it means thay you have them later too. I think this is the earliest I've ever done them in fact! I like 'Cupani' which is an old one as I like the colour (dk purple)but it's a matter of taste isn't it? They did a project on G's W when Monty sowed them at different times and it is pretty much that if you sow earlier you get flowers earlier and if you sow later you get flowers later so it was just horses for courses! The big problem for me is finding a location as i've moved but I've got some big pots..and a big fence! 

04/04/2013 at 08:17

That's encouraging FG. perhaps I will, then. It is just that I have a sister in law who is the perfect housekeeper and perfect gardener, and one year she gave me some huge sweet pea plants that she had started the previous autumn. I've been intimidated by sweet peas ever since.(Not that I think they are going to thump me, you understand!) Mind, the other reason I haven't planted them is that my growing modules were all full.

04/04/2013 at 08:22

GG I know the problem! Grow some giant marrows and give her one!!

Or leeks!!!

Joking apart- with the weather the way it's been, starting some things later is probably beneficial. Technically you can sow straight into the ground just now-but what's the point? they're not going to get a start anyway so delaying it for a week or two is no bad thing. 

Off to work now. 

04/04/2013 at 08:24

Dove, it is really difficult when parents get older, isn't it? My parents both died relatively young, but OH's parents lived to be very old and needed a lot of care. I escaped it because another sister in law was single and lived with them, caring for them devotedly. However, she and her sister are now quite old themselves and need much care. They are unmarried and childless and so the duty of care falls on their brothers and sisters in law and on one devoted niece.

04/04/2013 at 08:26

Morning all. Sweet peas don't work very well here, too hot in summer and I don't get time to deadhead! But I won a prize at the village show for them when we lived in England.

Busy day today, going shopping in a minute. Making tea for 30 tomorrow. Making cakes this afternoon.

04/04/2013 at 08:54
Morning all,

All this talk of sweet peas.....I may get some sown too,
I haven't grown any for a while!
Enjoy your day, sunshine here so hope to get out in the garden later
04/04/2013 at 09:38

Morning everyone!

Up early (for me) but busy dealing with this and that and now two hours have gone by! Paving people will finish today - doing the pointing as we speak. Dogs were funny this morning, one walked down and around all the slabs, another walked round them and wouldn't tread on them!

Forecast yesterday seemed to be saying sunny intervals everywhere except here

Have fun, whatever you're up to

04/04/2013 at 13:12

G'Day all

Snow flurries here today and that cold wind is back.

Have been concentrating on wedding cake size, decoration etc with a very unhelpful bride who doesn't reply to my e-mails.

04/04/2013 at 13:22

Bjay, hello there. Cake-gate reminds of my sister who is a calligrapher and was designing all the invitations, place cards and anything else writey for her son's wedding.  Her style is quite formal, minimalist and classy, DiL to be was into pink bows and 'cute' things - it took a lot of doing to achieve a  satisfactory result because my sis. was not going have anything go out that she wouldn't want to admit to but obviously it's bridey's big day ....  Groom-to-be kept his head down