London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
31/07/2012 at 17:02

Bless him Flo. A treat for you though! I prefer home-made as well, and mostly do them, but sometimes, frozen chips are more quick and convienient.

31/07/2012 at 17:21

Help- didnt realise the time & daughter due back anytime between 5.30 & 6.30pm expecting a perfect meal every time! I pointed this out to her last night & grudgingly got an apology!

Off to do wonders- ha- with courgettes, some mine, swank, & mushrooms, cream fraiche & rice. J.

31/07/2012 at 17:31

Good luck Jo!

Now that could be an olympic event. Rustling up posh nosh in the fastest time.

31/07/2012 at 17:33

I am quite chuffed--I have hollyhock buds on the plants I grew from seed--have never had success before. Can't remember what colour they are--got the seed from a friend's plant, but suspect dark red. And I have a pink lupin blooming, also from seed.

31/07/2012 at 17:39

Well done Inka. I'm trying Hollyhock for the first time. Sowed the seeds last week.

31/07/2012 at 17:52

Mmm, egg and chips! With a blob of ketchup on the side.

Inka, makes it more exciting when you don't know what colour things will be - unless its the wrong colour for your planting scheme.

31/07/2012 at 18:09

Home made chips apparently-frozen ones are on stand-by for when I do dinner

31/07/2012 at 18:13

Haha--what planting scheme? Aside from pots, those plants in the ground are almost always what WILL grow there--not always what I've planned! To say my garden is informal is rather understating it. But then, I live in the woods.

31/07/2012 at 18:27

Hope you guys can read this? I just saw it, and made me giggle. Should be readable if clicked on and zoomed in.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10438.jpg?width=303&height=350&mode=max

31/07/2012 at 18:29

Plants that self-seed and choose where they want to go are always far more successful than those that we try to redirect. There's a lot to be said for letting nature re-arrange things for you, as she sees best.

Finding out what colours you get from a packet of mixed seed is always interesting. I grow hollyhocks, and lupins from seed, and have never been disappointed.

This year I also tried a packet of mixed cosmos - well there were mixed colours on the packet cover, but they've all turned out yellow.

I don't know why it is that Italians have this thing about tomatoes. Why, in the joke, is it an Italian, and why tomatoes.

31/07/2012 at 18:41

Becks that was very good

Sadly not warm enough to eat out tonight but had lunch on the patio, I sat in the summer house for what was supposed to be for a ten minute power nap and woke up at 5.15pm!! I know what your going through Jo mad panic

Gary I very much like nature to re-arrange my garden you can always shift or pull out, Ive not been successful with hollyhock and cosmos unfortunately

31/07/2012 at 18:50

Hic- vino in meal & afterwards too! Somebody muttered about lack of protein.... so handed her the cheese grater!

After many yrs of losing huge numbers of cosmos, lovingly grown from seed etc etc, when they've been planted out, this year have confined them to 2 huge pots on the patio. Each pot a different variety & despite the slug attack! it's been most effective. Shall do it next year, but must remember to pinch them out sooner to limit their size. J.

31/07/2012 at 18:52

Cosmos one of the easiest annuals to germinate (though it might not stand much chance if sown on open soil).

Would the joke be as funny if it was about a Welshman growing leeks, or an Irishman growing potatoes, or a Scotsman growing haggis. I don't think it would.

For some reason, Italians and tomatoes are funnier than other fruits/vegetables.

Just about to settle down to my evening's Lympics viewing, with slab of dark chocolate.

31/07/2012 at 18:57

Cosmos have always been my fail safe flower until this year

Becks

31/07/2012 at 19:00

Jo I might try cosmos in pots we have such a late start to the growing season up here then its over all too soon and then you add  in slugs its no wonder they dont do well. My mum has an orange one that self seeds all over her garden in France now how nice would that be

31/07/2012 at 19:05

I don't know Gary, I just saw it and made me giggle. I almost read the letter out in my head with an Italian Mafia like accent! dark chocolate. Mmm. Love Bourneville.

I don't think I know what a cosmo looks like. Will google that in a minute.

How was the curried mince Kate? No point doing anything curried in this house. Miss fussy pants won't touch it.

Power naps are good Jenny!

31/07/2012 at 19:19

Becks - Chocolate cosmos is the way to go.

31/07/2012 at 19:21

I JUST saw those on google David! They look good enough to eat as well! When do you sow them?

31/07/2012 at 19:23

Becks the curried mince went down well, OH eats anything  spicy . I may need to raid the chocolate shelf now.

I have bought a lucky ticket, hope you all have your fingers crossed.

31/07/2012 at 19:34
Insomnia1973 wrote (see)

I JUST saw those on google David! They look good enough to eat as well! When do you sow them?

Knew I had a pic somewhere:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/chocolatecosmos.jpg

Best grown from plants, Becks.