London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
25/08/2012 at 13:29
Frank, welcome back, thanks for reminding me Montalbano is back, I really like it, always makes me smile.
Sky now looking black and some passing thunder, no gardening today, but have to go out to do some shopping for a friend. I would prefer to watch and old film on the TV, something with Audrey Hepburn or Doris Day maybe, one that you don't have to think about.
25/08/2012 at 13:30

Aah! I see now. I must admit, I hate seeing bad grammar and shortened alternatives, and like to see correct punctuation, but I think that was just the way I was bought up. The way teenagers communicate these days (I have 2 of them) is a total disgrace to be honest, but hey ho, just a sign of the times. I don't think we have any teenagers on the forums though.

Thanks for the link Kate!

25/08/2012 at 13:32
Frank, I don't do much text speak, prefer longhand and proper punctuation, although I do give in sometimes. You and I can be a bastion of doing it the proper way, although I do use OH.
25/08/2012 at 13:55

Hi Frank and everyone, Yes I like to write correctly  it take me so long to decipher all the shortenings. I end up having to read it about 3 time to understand the meaning, I think it is definitely an age thing. We had to spell and punctuate correctly when I went to school in the distant past.

We are very serious today!

I have got a pan of tomato chutney on the go, so must away to see if it's OK( is it OK to use OK)

How's your foot today Frank?, hope you have to over the price of the fish

25/08/2012 at 14:29

Afternoon all. Glad there is some sun about. We've had some here and I'm hoping it will at least stay dry for this afternoon's dog walk.

Frank, nice to see you here pottering. I'm sure you'd have enjoyed Olympic fortnight when some of us were spotting and conjugating new verbs - to podium being just one of them. It was positively heartwarming for an old pedant such as wot I are ;- )

I too was all eagrness to hear about slug-repelling on GW last night then left disappointed by the lack of information and suggestions. One photo of a slug-up in a brewery is all I remember seeing. Perhaps you are supposed to whack them with a sheaf of papers.

25/08/2012 at 14:32

Ha ha ha Flo! Or read the letters out to them, and bore them away!

25/08/2012 at 14:32

:- D :- D nice one Becks.

25/08/2012 at 15:07

I think it is going to pour with rain soon - I can hear thunder! I did the ironing

Just going to make a veggie moussaka with our own aubergines,peppers,tomatoes,onion and courgettes - yum!!! Have plums - what shall I make for pudding?

Pam LLx

25/08/2012 at 15:20

We are having any easy tea tonight, dippy eggs and chips, bread and butter, tomato sauce..

Plum crumble would be my choice of pud, just love all that lovely topping with lusciuos juicey plums underneath and a big jug of custard,  Mmmmm my mouth's watering at the thought of it., but we haven't any plums. so tha'ts out of the question, will just have to imagine it Pam!

25/08/2012 at 15:26

Well back from shopping  . I still haven't seen any blackbirds apart from the ones when I was out and about. The bird table is still quite full as well and there is still a lot of fruit left. Will have to think about moving it soon - tis the season of those horrible little stripy things. I find it all a bit strange as we usually have lots of blackbirds around.

Right - a little advice needed please . I have some trailing begonias in baskets and want to try and keep them for next year. Should I let the foliage die down first before removing the tubers or what ?

Hello Becks , Kate, Flo,PP. and Pam and anyone else I've missed off. Is your foot better Frank ?
Pam - Plum crumble / cobbler / pudding/ pie ? I think we are in for a storm - it's gone very dark and the birds have stopped singing.

25/08/2012 at 15:45

Plum crumble with custard it is then

Jean This is what I do with my begonias - the ones in pots have their foliage cut down to about 6" then they are put on their sides in their pots in the greenhouse and when the foliage dies and falls off I clean the tubers up and store them in kitchen paper in a box keeping them somewhere cool and dry.You could leave the tubers in the baskets -after cutting the foliage back a bit -and put them somewhere to dry off before storing This seems to work for me but others may have different ideas  I am probably being very thick - no change there then - but what are the horrible little stripey things,please?

Pam LLx

25/08/2012 at 15:48

We are in the middle of a storm - I can only count to 3 after the lightening before the thunder  and it is absolutely tipping it down !

Pam LLx

25/08/2012 at 15:53

We do the same with begonia tubers, just let them die back and then either lift and store somewhere frost free and keep dry, or leave them in the post you grew them in this year, same as before.  Next spring start them off with some fresh compost and away you go,  Simples.

At the moment mine are beautiful, in full flower, just hope they keep on for a few more weeks.

Chris.

25/08/2012 at 15:53

Pam, Thanks for that. I'm ashamed to say I usually just put everything in the compost bin but have now decided that it's a terrible waste so thats what I'm going to attempt to do. Enjoy your crumble - we have Chocolate fudge cake . ( And cream ! )

25/08/2012 at 15:58

Pam are you getting the stripey things when you write a post?

25/08/2012 at 16:07

Ha ha I mean the WASPS !!! The fruit on the bird table is attracting them. I'm really scared of wasps , bees don't bother me at all but wasps - nooooo !

25/08/2012 at 16:18

Jean now I am being thick I sometimes get stripey lines when I am typing a post thought others may be getting it too

I have some fruit that is turning can I make a crumble using them? or ?

25/08/2012 at 16:24

I would Kate - it'll be alright if its just on the turn. We had a little walk down the woods the other day but the blackberries aren't quite ripe yet . Mmm - apple and blackberry crumble . Feeling a bit peckish now.

25/08/2012 at 16:38
Penninepetal wrote (see)
Frank, I don't do much text speak, prefer longhand and proper punctuation, although I do give in sometimes. You and I can be a bastion of doing it the proper way, although I do use OH.

Oh I do know what OH means, "over head" as in cables, please tell me I am right or I will go outside and may be some time (quote) imagine very icy fore ground back ground and any other which way.
Foot appears to be ovate shaped on top where it should be flattish, quite red like nose after indulging on single malt too well, "ah" now that may have brought it all on, one must suffer for ones pleasures.
I am going into the kitchen now, no plums so apple crumble, see what happens when I read this post, I get ideas that cause me work when I could have my feet up. "Grrrr"

Frank.

25/08/2012 at 16:48

My daughter has left the candle shop so hopefully she wont have to hear the four candles joke ever again. Shes off to pastures new at uni to do costume and set design for theatre. I will get afternoon tea with Andrew lloyd Webber .yet