London (change)
Wed 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
31/08/2012 at 22:32

I've been in and out of the kitchen all evening making tomato chutney, watched Monty, most enjoyable tonight, but had seen the Hidcote programme twice before so gave it a miss. We try to visit Hidcote once a year when we are down that way, just love it. Now off to bed, got a good crime book on the go at the moment, if I can manage to keep my eyes open long enough to read a few pages.

Good night everyone.

ChrisX

31/08/2012 at 22:34
Is it a book you could recommend Chris? Reading fast at the moment.
31/08/2012 at 22:40

I have just finished watching GW, I loved all those Dahlias, that greenhouse with all the blight   on the tomatoes looked awful. 

Die Hard 4 again? Bruce Willis must be raking it in.

31/08/2012 at 22:43
I think one of them is on every night, he never need work again.

I see that Himalayan balsam is everywhere at the moment, even spreading through the forum!
31/08/2012 at 22:49

Hi Glyn,

I tend to read detective/crime so could recommend anything by Peter Robinson, Donna Leon, her books are set in Venice, and if you like something a bit quirky, Quintin Jardine. I have got 3 Montalbano books that a friend passed on to me waiting to be read, I'll let you know what they are like. At the moment I am reading Bad Boy by Peter Robinson, but have only just got a couple chapters in.

ChrisX

31/08/2012 at 22:54
Not read Donna Leon, will look out for her books. I'm on spies and terrorism at the mo!
31/08/2012 at 23:53

Heligan was amazing today, uploading the photos to facebook as I type all 158 ish of them and that's only the veg garden and the tropical forest 

01/09/2012 at 08:35

On GW last night, I was really impressed by the garden at Bury Court (umbellifers). Ammi turned up again (it was the conspicuous plant in the military wives' garden); really must try that. The purple Angelica was nice; I've had that before; it's a brilliant plant with bees, but I've failed to keep it; must try again.

Very intesting to see the subsequent feature - Monty was appraising his own umbellifer patch - for some reason, he'd decided to dig his up and start again.

The display of dahlias was very impressive, but it must be a lot of work - I suppose the person enjoys it.

More box problems, eh. Instead of giving up - let's take more cuttings and press on. And a feature about box, from Wisley, coming up in a future program. Must be sure not to miss that.

01/09/2012 at 08:36

Morning everyone. A lot to catch up with ! Had a very busy day yesterday hence no posting . Too many posts to answer to so I will just say glad you all had a good day, except poor Dan . Hope your eye gets better soon.

Daughter off to Devon this morning so a little stressed - it's a long drive from our neck of the woods.  She's going to Dawlish with the 2 boys - feel better when she gets there. News on the house front too - looks like she has a buyer.

Had a catch up day yesterday - few jobs to do and now the grass is cut at last. Still dry today so having a tidy up out there and going on a seed hunt.

I see someone has Himalayan balsam growing in their garden and Becks - I don't like that spider - wouldn't hurt one but find them a bit creepy !

01/09/2012 at 09:22

A grey day here.

Jean good news about the house buyer, I know what you mean worrying about the long journey at least with mobile phones now you can be sure of a call to let you know that they have arrived safely. 

Gary does it not annoy you when new posters say that they want a year round colourful, cheap, low maintenance garden? I learnt something new there is more than one variety of box 

01/09/2012 at 09:55

Good morning all,

Lovely here in Cornwall but does feel cooler. There was an argument on the radio this morning whether today is the first day of Autumn.

My son and family came home yesterday from their holiday in Spain and they felt cold. I was in charge of their pets, guinea pigs and a hamster. Was worried about the hamster as she has outlived her lifespan but unfortunately the rabbit of some friends they went with went to the Ilysian Fields while they were away.

01/09/2012 at 09:57

Amazing how fast time flies in ForkLand! I've only been absent an afternoon and an evening.

Off to the Bournemouth Air Show today. Full cloud cover at the mo. Hope it clears by 12.30 or it may have to be a taxi -ing display. (I tried taxing and taxiing but neither looked right. Gary's the participle man - may I have a judgement?)

Have fun one and all.

01/09/2012 at 10:07

Flo I believe taxiing is correct, any kitten news?

pottiepam apparently 21st September is the last day of Summer.

01/09/2012 at 10:30

FloBear Taxiing is correct for Planes running on the ground or Taxied as in a gaggle, "they taxied along the ground" before they took off. Or even it taxied along the ground after landing, the Pilot came later by parachute.

Frank.

01/09/2012 at 10:46
Morning everyone, not much on the cards for me today, a bit of shopping and then the rear of the day in the garden if the weather holds. Trying to tidy up and find space for the new plants. I have a grass to plant but the advice says not to plant grass in autumn. If we have 3 weeks left till autumn, do you think it might be OK?

Have a lovely day all.
01/09/2012 at 11:41

Hope you enjoy the airshow, Flo.

Glad we have three more weeks of summer left, Kate.

I'm going to a car boot later, but I'm not taking any orders as you were all so disappointed when Geoff let you down.

01/09/2012 at 12:15
Preston Guild starts today, only happens every 20 years, OH from Preston, so says once every Preston Guild rather than once on a blue moon. Blackpool Illuminations switched on last night. Too much excitement for me, I'm going to stick with the garden.

I could do with going to a car boot sale, the house is packed with stuff, but don't fancy getting up early to do one. I hear they are good places for buying plants though.
01/09/2012 at 12:36

Afternoon all! Another partly sunny day.

Glad you confirmed that Kate, I never know when seasons start and finish.

Glyn, Jess isn't too bad with spiders. Until they move!

Glad you're back Jean! Wondered where you were yesterday.

How's the eye Dan?

Missed GW last night. Will catch up later. More brown patches on my potatoes, so gonna sort them out today, although the first flower has fully opened today.  And on my sweet peppers.

01/09/2012 at 13:11

Glyn I have never heard of the Preston Guild I have just had to google it.

Becks where did you get the original potatoes from?

OH has cut the lawn, I have strimmed the edges and dead headed. I have started to make plans for next year which always makes me a little sad.

West Ham are already 1-0 up.

01/09/2012 at 13:18
No telly last night, Bloke fell off trestle when plastering ceiling in his new extension and dislocated his shoulder. So a few hours in real life Casualty.