07/09/2012 at 21:15

See you all next week - we are off at 7am tomorrow morning

Pam LL x

07/09/2012 at 21:27

Bon voyage Pam.

07/09/2012 at 21:29

Pam have a pasty for me

07/09/2012 at 21:45
We're going to have to work hard to stay on page 1! It's a good job Geoff is back soon, he'll have plenty to say.
07/09/2012 at 22:45

Glyn we will be fine I can spend hours telling tales on my neighbours if we get really stuck, there are enough odd goings on here to write a soap opera

I have been watching GW and now I have added heleniums to my wish list.

07/09/2012 at 23:02
Yes, I watched it too, I like the dark red ones best, There were some lovely ones at the garden I visited the other day. It was very much like the garden Carol Klein was visiting.
08/09/2012 at 08:58

I have recorded GW so I could Paralympics watch. Also Miranda because, even though they are repeats I love watching her.

I added heleniums to my wish list a few weeks ago when I went to a friend's garden and saw spectacular drifts of them. I just hope they're chicken-resistant!

08/09/2012 at 09:10

I was watching Para Lympics too, so didn't see GW. I might catch up with GW on iPlayer.

I like heleniums. My yellow and orange ones are actually getting over now. These snaps were taken a few weeks ago...

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/helenium2-1.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/bee-helenium2.jpg

I have some dark red ones too, and they are still in flower, though their flowers seem to be a tiny bit smaller.

Looks like a nice sunny day ahead. I intend to do nothing today. We won't get much more of this nice weather, so best make hay while the sun shines (except I'll leave out the hay making bit).

08/09/2012 at 09:34

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/11506.jpg?width=352&height=350&mode=max

Not a pic from my garden, but this is the helenium that I grow - Sahin's Early Flowerer. It has a very long flowering season (which is extended by regular deadheading), and has been divided numerous times. I've tried others, for some reason the slugs devour them but don't touch the Sahin. It's also very tolerant of my very dry soil.

Bloke sent lad with pickaxe round yesterday afternoon to hoick out the stump of a spirea arguta. Am off in the garden shortly to play with the bomb crater which its removal has left.

Just watched a squirrel sneak into the garden, before it was chased out again by the neighbour's cat.

08/09/2012 at 09:42

Gary, what spectacular photos; I love the close up of the bee! Are you a bit of a camera buff by any chance? What camera do you use?

Firat, have fun with your bomb crater! I'm a bit sad to hear heleniums can be slug fodder. Don't know whether to risk the disappointment now.

08/09/2012 at 09:55
Hello all! I often read this thread and thought it was about time to post the occasional comment on it.

I love the pics of the Heleniums. I have one in my garden similar to the one figrat has. (Inspired to get it and a monada after a visit to Harlow Carr) I wish it would get to a size to need dividing-stays much more spindly then I would like-any advice welcome.

Nola
08/09/2012 at 09:59

Good morning all, Hope all the holiday makers enjoy themselves. Looking forward to Beck's tales.

I'm a bit worried in case Mrs. Geoff has taken 'Fifty Shades of Grey' as her holiday reading. We might never see him again.

Lovely photo, Figrat. Life is too short to dust down cobwebs.

Also Gary's photos are great. I meant to get some heleniums last year but definitely will after seeing these photos.

08/09/2012 at 10:07

I haven't found heleniums to be especially prone to slugs, though I expect that when young shoots are showing then they could well be, as with many plants. But heleniums are not slug fodder in the same way that lupins are.

I am a bit keen on taking photos and use a bulky old fashioned camera (Nikon). It's the village produce show tomorrow, and I shall be taking part - but purely there as photographer.

08/09/2012 at 10:25

Hello Nola and welcome, it is so frustrating when plants fail to perform, I have 3 daylilies one has grown big enough to divide and the others never even flower and they are all in the same bed, I may dig out the non flowering ones and give them some fresh compost.

I love those photos of the Heleniums.

figrat what are you going to plant in the bomb crater?

08/09/2012 at 11:50
Morning all and welcome Nola, you might find that you occasional posting on this thread becomes more regular. If you are anything like me you will become hooked by the friendliness and banter of the contributors. Being a little bit crackers helps too!

Lovely photos, the mention of Harlow Carr has prompted us to pop over this afternoon. Mist has cleared at the promised sunny day has emerged. We might just find time to call in to Betty's too, mmmm frangipani tart!
08/09/2012 at 11:59

Nola, lovely to see you here. Just act your shoe size, not your age ;- )

Gary, by old-fashioned, do you mean film? Or just an older model digital? I keep telling Mr Bear (with his brand new Canon) that it's the photographer that makes the great picture, not the equipment.

pottiepam wrote (see)

I'm a bit worried in case Mrs. Geoff has taken 'Fifty Shades of Grey' as her holiday reading. We might never see him again.

:- D :- D Pam

08/09/2012 at 12:19

I'm digital. Far, far more convenient, and more economical, than film. But so many people these days have these very small point-and-shoot cameras which can actually produce remarkably good pictures.

There was a rare interview with the 50 Shades author in the Daily Telegraph yesterday. She explains that her book is serious romantic literature, and she really wishes young people would not buy the book simply because all their friends have told them that it's racy and salacious...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/9526791/50-Shades-of-Grey-Just-an-old-fashioned-love-story-says-EL-James.html

08/09/2012 at 12:42
Just been out to soak some pots in the shade and do a quick bit of dead heading. Snails are eating a small acer, my new verbena, the philadelphus and the sambucus. Geranium black beauty practically eaten to nothing! grrrrrr. I am going to try the garlic recipe tomorrow.
08/09/2012 at 12:51

You need to do a late night patrol with a torch, or early morning patrol at first light. It's the most reliable way of dealing with the problem. If you have damp pots then that's a lovely home, so simply poking around between the pots during the day might be rewarding.

08/09/2012 at 13:03
We have thousands of slugs and snails of all varieties, it is quite a damp site with moorland behind and lots of stone walls. I don't like killing them. Am trying to reduce the number of pots.