London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
29/09/2012 at 17:18

29 is an odd number, Jean. Are you there isn't one missing? (That reminds me of Blackadder when Dr Johnson had finished his dictionary and Blackadder made up words that he knew wouldn't be in there.)

29/09/2012 at 17:19

I see those coins are going for £3 each on e-bay so not a bad investment Jean-the thing is what do you do with them now?

My Olympic flag is still fluttering in the garden-it has been there so long I have forgotten about it

29/09/2012 at 17:22

Well done Flo -29 is an odd number- that edukation and yeers off teeching has not bin wasted

29/09/2012 at 17:26
Dr. Samuel Johnson: [places two manuscripts on the table, but picks up the top one Here it is, sir. The very cornerstone of English scholarship. This book, sir, contains every word in our beloved language.
Blackadder: Every single one, sir?
Dr. Samuel Johnson: Every single word, sir!
Blackadder: Oh, well, in that case, sir, I hope you will not object if I also offer the Doctor my most enthusiastic contrafribularities.
Dr. Samuel Johnson: What?
Blackadder: "Contrafribularites", sir? It is a common word down our way.
Dr. Samuel Johnson: Damn!
[writes in the book
Blackadder: Oh, I'm sorry, sir. I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

29/09/2012 at 17:30

Haha Flo ! If you look on the Royal Mint's website , they have a 30th coin but with the price they are charging I think I will stick to the 29 !http://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/london-2012/50p-collection

I'm keeping them for the Grandchildren, Geoff - I collect allsorts of memorabilia for them. I've even got the newspapers that were printed on the day they were born. Not as bad as hubby though - he kept the one with the picture of Fergie and the toe-sucking event !

29/09/2012 at 17:33

Geoff 

Jean, really and you have not tried to throw it out?

29/09/2012 at 17:41

It's up in the loft somewhere Kate , along with other strange items . A lifesize cardboard cut out of some movie star. film posters , a stuffed owl, a fox's head. and a hornby railway set complete with carriages . Need I go on. No way am I going up there. !

Geoff,  Just watching Johnie English re-born. Love good old Rowan !

29/09/2012 at 17:52

I have never been in my loft

29/09/2012 at 17:56

Really ? Don't you use it for storage ? Not telling hubby - he'll want to rent it

29/09/2012 at 18:35

Jean, your grandchildren will be worth a fortune when they go to the  Antiques Roadshow of the future.

You haven't explained to Geoff where he has to put the lemon. Is it the same place as the daffodil he mentioned?

29/09/2012 at 18:41

Ouch Pam ! If Geoff is around he may be interested in this.

http://voices.yahoo.com/relief-indigestion-heartburn-stomach-turmoil-5963856.html?cat=5

29/09/2012 at 18:45

Phew, will catch up with all the posts later, or tomorrow...

At least I did get outside today, but wasnt dry at all. Several sharp showers so no lawn cutting. All being well, shant hold breathe, it's supposed to be dry both monday & tuesday so perhaps lawn will get done after all.

Did do quite a lot though, so less ratty now.

2 of the well chewed dahlias, in pots, are trying to reshoot! Was gaily tipping out the compost when spotted the shoots. No idea which ones as had removed the labels! Anyway as both tubers are still solid have popped them into MP compost in smaller pots & into a closed coldframe. They may come through the winter. Shall wrap/cover the pots, but wont panic if they dont survive. Wouldnt have thought they'd have enough 'energy' to restart, but since they seem to want to.....

OH has cooked, so am now about to find out just how much mess there is in the kitchen. You may hear the scream down South..... at least the meal was yummy. J.

29/09/2012 at 18:52

Jean, I am always the one who stands at the bottom of the ladder, we combined 2 homes so I assumed that  it is stuffed to the rafters.

pottiepam now that is a funny thought

Jo I remember watching a dahlia enthusiast who kept his dahlias growing indoors all winter, he did not let them flower, he just wanted them to be ready for taking cuttings in the spring.

29/09/2012 at 18:53
sotongeoff wrote (see)

Well done Flo -29 is an odd number- that edukation and yeers off teeching has not bin wasted

Geoff, don't you love it when I feed you the lines ;- )

pottiepam wrote (see)

You haven't explained to Geoff where he has to put the lemon. Is it the same place as the daffodil he mentioned.

:- D :- D Pam.

29/09/2012 at 19:32

Pam

Flo-love a good straight-man- or woman

Kate -the hidden millions are in that loft

Have risked fish and mashed potato-nothing to report so far

Back to the papers and pleb tv

29/09/2012 at 19:51

Poor Geoff, personally beans on toast not ideal in that situation, but whatever you fancy I suppose. The plainer the better & lots of fluids- not alcohol!!!

How can someone use soooo many pans? Well I assume he did, so just washed the lot!

Re the sweetpeas on GW, yes I was heard muttering 'David wont like that', but up here an early spring sowing is a lot less faff for me. No having to keep over the winter, although I could be tempted this time & do 1 pot......

Kate- re the dahlias. I suppose if they do 'try' I could keep them going, but am just inclined to store them in the porch later on along with daughters' which is growing strongly again. Am removing all flower buds from it to allow some 'strength' back into the tuber. Have just enough room under plant tables in the porch to store the 3 pots, plus the chocolate cosmos which also is in a large pot.

The new coldframe though is going to overwinter the pots of Agapanthus this year. I think the wooden sides, plus extra polystyrene sheets, will be better than the very cold greenhouse. They do normally survive in there ok, plus fleece & wrapping, but this year I may not be able to push back up a slipped roof panel because as have slightly moved an adjacent compost bin, thus making it rather difficult to get a step ladder put up next to the frame- twit, didnt think that one out.

Once the tomatoes are over shall thoroughly clean the greenhouse out this year. I usually remove them by end of September, but lots of fruit still ripening so thought another week+ shouldnt do much harm. I have to admit that the ones on GW last night growing in those relatively small pots looked wonderful. Rather labour intensive though, which I wouldnt want to do.

Off to go & look at my 50ps... J.

29/09/2012 at 21:43

Thought the room had gone cold- we've just discovered that the pilot light to the back boiler has gone out   & we cant relight it! So no central heating! Yes the pump was wurring away when twiddled thermostat, but no radiators heating up. OH checked have a gas supply- yes- unlike last year when the stupid smart meter kept turning off the supply. (We now have an un-smart gasmeter, fitted literally day before Christmas w/end last year) Luckily the gas fire is independant to the back boiler- well I never knew that! so at least we can warm this room again & have an emersion heater for the water, but layered clothing will be worn.

Somehow my plans for next week look likely to change........... It's actually just under the 12 months since they did the service last year, but somehow I know they wont be impressed as it's an old system, previously totally reliable with no problems- ever!

Oh well at least it's not the depths of winter, but I suspect a new boiler & all the associated faffing around, just what I dont need, will be on the cards. J.

29/09/2012 at 22:01

Well I have been shouting at the tv, I am sure that it is scripted. SAF will also have been doing a lot of shouting

Jo that is not good news but at least it is not freezing yet.

30/09/2012 at 06:58

It is very,very,very manipulative tv with obvious staged bits-but tonight we do get Louis saying to at least one "you are in my top tree" so all can't be that bad

SAF having the usual isn't life unfair sulk-not to be taken seriously

Jo-it must be a very old boiler if it has a pilot light and may be past its best- the all new dancing ones are much more efficient but I think we have discussed this before.

The good news I saw the night through with no incidents

Coffee,chickens, back to bed time

30/09/2012 at 09:00

Morning folks.

Glad to hear your night passed incident-free, Geoff, please accept my most enthusiastic contrafibularities. The beans must have worked!

Oh Jo, what a bloomin' pain. Especially as you had other plans for the week. I have to say that I now have a new bolier on my old system and, after a few initial hiccups, I'm glad I did it.