London (change)
Today 18°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
02/10/2012 at 10:37
kate1123 wrote (see)

I thought the council put signs of deer up so that you could not sue them when they damage your car.

Now I understand.

I was thinking it was the deer who erected the signs, so you would not sue the deer, or eat their relatives.

02/10/2012 at 10:49

I think you might be right Kate. Hitting a deer can make a very big dent in the car. Not sure the deer like it much either!

Our cat was from a loving home, we had him from a kitten. His mum was a domestic cat but he was 'father unknown' and he definitely had some feral cat in him - he'd quite like to be made a fuss of then when he'd had enough he'd let you know with a quick bite! Anyway after having lived with us for 5 years he moved next door and has lived there ever since. He's now 12, and occasionally comes over and sunbathes on our drive but won't come in because of the dog.

I saw this recently - 'Once upon a time, humans used to worship cats. Cats have never forgotten this'.

02/10/2012 at 11:19

Cats always seem much more independent than dogs-perhaps if Hollie put the food slowly nearer the house, then indoors the cat might realise that this the place to be-the attacking bit is the worrying thing

All through the Forest are speed restrictions that most people seem to obey-you do not want a pony or a cow or a sloth hitting your car

02/10/2012 at 11:43

Geoff, if you are there I have a question for you. Where do you keep your cheeseplant over winter ? I haven't grown one since the 80s - always think of them as retro plants. Do you think it would be o.k. in the conservatory ? We do have heating in there but only tend to use it when it gets really cold or do you think it would be better to keep it in the house ? Thanks.

02/10/2012 at 12:09

Jean it sits in a corner of a room-seems happy enough-I think as a lot of them are kept in offices it doesn't need or want great light- that is why they became popular.

I wouldn't worry- they are pretty tough

Have just sat through one of those property programmes- a choice between Cornwall and South West France-it was a really annoying couple who kept going on about views-is that really top of the list?-wouldn't want to over look a sewage plant but a view is not high up on my priorities

They settled on France- but you wonder if it went through.

02/10/2012 at 12:15

Thanks Geoff .  Great, the rain's back.

02/10/2012 at 13:27

It's blooming (not) awful weather here- absolutely chucking it down a few moments ago!

Daughter & me  went to GC for coffee & egg custards- yummy- & have just finished the remains of a cauliflower savory. This is 1 meal I DO add salt to.

Gary- if HBP is hereditary, then diet alteration only has limited success. Have never added salt to meals, ok certain ones I do, but if I didnt take my meds I would be costing the NHS even more!

Have started to remove things from understairs. Realised not everything needs to come out- good- but just enough to allow sensible access to the gas meter. It's also dawned on me that may need to empty the airing cupboard, in part, at some point.........

He, he daughter has actually removed her body warmer as felt too warm. How many yrs have I been saying how good they are? J.

02/10/2012 at 13:34

Forgot to say got a reduced price Fatsia Japonica from GC. Nice specimen, less than half price. Will pot it up & keep ready to put into the border from where the Acer was felled. Do need to do a lot of work on the compacted soil there & stain up the newish fence panels there before I can do the replanting.

Daughter stopped me from getting a reduced price Honerine Jobert though, as I know it just doesn't like me!!! Doesnt stop me wanting it though... J.

02/10/2012 at 13:42

I didn't know that high blood pressure was heriditary (although some might be). Cutting down on salt is just one measure, but can be effective in the short term. It's not a matter of not dosing your dinner with salt, but salt is in an awful lot of food, especially processed food. I believe there's as much salt in one slice of bread, as in a packet of crisps. Long term it's also about getting rid of fatty deposits in the arteries, so that means cutting down on unsaturated fats, and increasing foods that can reduce cholesterol, which some can. BP monitoring, at home, or by a nurse, can tell how things are going. High blood pressure is asymptomatic - there are no apparent symptoms. Until the person has a heart attack, which can be fatal. At least, that's my understanding of it.

Re eating rabbits, squirrels, deer, cows, etc. There's a flip side to that...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57524077/hogs-eat-their-farmer-in-oregon/

02/10/2012 at 14:10

IME HBP is hereditary, but I could have inherited the heart failure form t'other side of family, but havent. Luck of the draw.

It's still b****y raining!

Ok understairs awaits.... J.

02/10/2012 at 15:01

I have been out had my hair cut, done a little shopping, a little lunch, all is well in the world.

I have inherited low blood pressure, I add loads of salt to my food

I would list a view as a high priority

02/10/2012 at 16:04

I had a hair cut on Sunday and didn't need to go out

Have been lying on my back staring into the eyes of a loved one-yes have been to the dentist again

I don't think I could be a bus driver-the views are all the same

02/10/2012 at 16:19

Must be the day for haircuts, me and OH have been to see the lovely Claire in the village salon. 

Gammon steak, grilled tomatoes, chips and peas for tea this evening.

When we did our supermarket shop last week I had a look at the bacon grill in tins as was mentioned in previous postings, looked alright, that is until you read the ingredients, which included and I quote, "Mechanically recovered chicken" no thanks..

I have high blood pressure along with other things, my OH on the other hand has normal blood pressure, normal cholesterol, he eats all the things you shouldn't, chips, chocolate, anything sweet, pork pie, the list goes on. I on the other hand have alway been careful what I eat, it's just not fair 

02/10/2012 at 16:26

Well I've just treated myself to Beechgrove.

Understairs done, airing cupboard sorted- I do this 2x a week anyway. Been good & snacked on apple & banana & some fruit yoghurt.

Fed birds & discovered no chilli powder left- I sometimes sprinkle it/mix it with the seed in an effort to deter the squirrels. A small squirrel had got into the 'cage', they can whilst small, so I sneaked round & yelled. Squirrel wriggled out of cage & instead of jumping down & running away, with yours truely in pursuit, it ran into the adjacent Clematis montana- which is a real mess this time as it didnt get a sort out after flowering. Daughter stuck her head out of bedroom window above to say squirrel not in there. Oh yes t'was. I keep a large wooden pole under the ivy, so it stays dry, & I poked into the clematis. Squirrel shot out, up onto the flat roof & did a belly flop into the adjacent alleyway! Job done! BTW the 'cage' comes apart, so safer than a squirrel getting stuck in a fixed one. Ok wouldnt want to try release an animal, but wearing gauntlets would help........

Off to try phoning friend. We keep missing one another! Then to do a ratatoue for meal. J.

02/10/2012 at 16:30

Geoff I bet the bus driver has seen some things that you would not want to see is a pudding bowl used?

Chris I agree good health is not a fair thing.

Oh dear the manager of QPR has been given  the full backing of the chairman.

02/10/2012 at 16:37

Kate

That is two jobs I have applied for in the last two days-what are my chances this time?

Ah but what did we do before cholesterol was "discovered" and people smoked 40 fags a day,drank 8 pints and feasted on black forest gateu-we all survived-sometimes ignorance is bliss

02/10/2012 at 16:43

Jo would this help

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/12216.jpg?width=640&height=320&mode=max

02/10/2012 at 16:56

Good afternoon lovelies. Saw this and thought of us for some reason!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/12217.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Shepherds Pie, Broccoli, Carrots and Cauli for Dinner.

02/10/2012 at 16:59

Becks 

Geoff I applied first, so you have no chance

02/10/2012 at 17:09

Becks-is that a self-portait?

There is another job going soon at Leicester-'arry is favourite-mind you he is also favourite to be a bus driver when a vacancy occurs

Tonight I shall be mostly eating chicken korma