Tomorrow 16°C / 10°C
03/10/2012 at 15:25

jo, what did you remember how to do??

03/10/2012 at 15:39

One for the nerds

COMPUTER TERMS - TEXAS TRANSLATION:
LOG ON: Making a wood stove hotter.
LOG OFF: Don't add no more wood.
MONITOR: Keeping an eye on the wood stove.
DOWNLOAD: Gettin' the farwood off the truck
MEGA HERTZ: When yer not keerful gettin' the farwood
FLOPPY DISC: Whatcha git from tryin to carry too much farwood
RAM: That thing tha splits the farwood
HARD DRIVE: Gettin' home in the winter time
PROMPT: What the mail ain't in the winter time
WINDOWS: What to shut when it's cold outside
SCREEN: What to shut when it's black fly season
BYTE: What them dang flies do
CHIP: Munchies fer the TV
MICRO CHIP: What's in the bottom of the munchie bag
MODEM: Whatcha did to the hay fields
DOT MATRIX: Old Dan Matrix's wife
LAP TOP: Where the kitty sleeps
KEYBOARD: Where ya hang the dang truck keys
SOFTWARE: Them dang plastic forks and knives
MOUSE: What eats the grain in the barn
MOUSE PAD: That's hippie talk fer the mouse hole
MAIN FRAME: Holds up the barn roof
ENTER: Northerner talk fer "c'mon in, y'all"
RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY: When ya can't 'member what ya paid fer the rifle

03/10/2012 at 15:47

03/10/2012 at 15:59

:- D :- D

One of my all-time favourite IT spoofs is 'Monk opening a book helpdesk' which did the rounds a few years ago. I must find it on You Tube

03/10/2012 at 16:09

Today's loft of the day

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n627/thedogcody/22oct11bla.jpg

03/10/2012 at 16:13

Fabulous habitat for mice.

What's he poiinting at?

Has he found a dead one.

03/10/2012 at 16:15

Becks- remembered how to make type bold! Took myself to local 6th form college in 02 to learn how to use these things. Plodded through a couple of courses, coped ok, (wasnt the only graduate there either) & have carried on plodding since! At least I can now do most things without assistance from OH/daughter. Both had said they'd teach me- ha- noway, WW3 would have happened around here!

Still havent got a clue when they start discussing techie things, but doesnt worry me any more.

Just thought, must get 'C' cake made before the upheaval of new boiler. Always try & get it done before daughter's birthday which is 8 weeks to go. Have to admit am a bit wary of the new oven, only had a year, as last year I really burnt the first attempt. 2cnd was fine.

Now we know that the oven is hotter than it says, but only at certain temps, just to confuse me even more, I have notes from the successful baking last yr to refer to. Done the same recipe for donkeys yrs, so it was rather disconcerting to mess up initially. Motto- read instruction book to new appliances FULLY before doing something as important as C cake!

Right' last bit of hoovering to do. J.

03/10/2012 at 16:43

I think he is saying "I'm sure we came up that way"

03/10/2012 at 16:54

Hello,all--just checking in. Still no rain here; none in the forecast--all kinds of records are being broken. It was very windy last night; there were power outages, but not here, thank goodness.Stocked up on propane cartridges for my lantern and bought batteries for flashlights---have lots of wood for the stove, so am prepared for winter.

Most tender plants have been moved to the greenhouse for winter;have repotted with soil I have sterilized in the old microwave I keep in the garden shed. Very handy to have!!! I'll trade a few days of cool overnight temps with sunshine for some of your pain!

03/10/2012 at 17:53

Hi Inka, we've had nothing but daily rain here in NWest UK. Tomorrow is supposed to be predominately dry! So lots planned outside. My tender plants all get wrapped & moved by the end of Oct, but your season is shorter isnt it? J,

03/10/2012 at 18:08

That looks remarkably like my loft! Don't think there are any small boys up there though - and if there are how did they get in??

Jo, I just don't have time to make my own C cake (or pud), although I have a lovely recipe - and its only OH and I who eat it so we just buy a little one.

Hello Inka - will try and send some pain in your direction - it must be getting very difficult. Glad to hear you're preparing for winter. Won't discuss Downton as I don't want to give away any spoilers!! 

03/10/2012 at 18:17
Hey Inkadpg, I'm going to invest in second hand microwave for sterilising old potting soil- can you tell me quantities/ times/ general tips which you've found to be most successful?

Bit late on PC thread, have been using them since 1982, which predates even floppy disks! Only storage was on cassette tapes, and you had to write commands in Basic, no operating system as such.

Don't have a loft, but a big attic bedroom.
03/10/2012 at 19:04

Hi all!

Inka! Sounds like you have winter already sawn up! Good on ya! 

Not caught up, been a very long day! 

Kitchen bin situation sorted! Had a choice of a fancy state of the art thing with a sensor which opened upon your approach, or one ya shoved ya foot on! Opted for the later! Amongst a few other bit's n bat's I picked up, a Camellia Japonica (Brushfield Yellow) was had.  A fine little specimen!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/12244.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

Thinking of sticking it in a pot (Ericaceous compost) and let it establish! Will this be a good beginning for it! Advise needed Guy's n Gal's! 

03/10/2012 at 19:23

Jo, I could have left some out longer; but it's down to 5*C at night and it helps with watering if they are all in the same place. Our weather seems much like yours, season-wise-excepy for this drought.

Figrat, I use a 1 gallon ice cream bucket[no metal, of course]--and give it 5 minutes, stir, then 5 more. Seems to work okay.

Thanks, Lottie, for not spoiling Downton--but Jan. seems far away, which is when we will get it here.

Finished sweeping the roofs, cleaning the gutters[again!] and sweeping all decks--arbutus leaves and bark still, fir needles and maples have started to drop--it's neverending here in the woods, but I have a new large rake that works a treat on the driveway. The leaves in the garden I consider mulch, and leave them be til spring. Have lots of bulbs to get in the ground, but still too dry. Got lots in pots, though.

03/10/2012 at 19:25

jo, gotcha. Thought I'd missed something.

Inka, glad you still have your power. You sound all set for winter. Good on you!

Lottie, I buy a pudding as well. Jess not keen, so only me has it. I also buy a cake for the table when we have our annual party, but it never gets touched!

Figrat, same as you. I grew up loving computers. My first was an Acorn Electron with a cassette player to load games. Made an awful hi then lo pitched screeching noise when loading!

Dean, good choice on the bin. Could you imagine the 'fun' the twins would have operating the sensor one!!

03/10/2012 at 19:28
Sorry to be a pain, Inkadog, but do you cover the compost when it's being zapped?
03/10/2012 at 19:35

Becks-That is why I revoked! 

It was inquisitive to me!  

03/10/2012 at 19:39

No, I leave it open. Make sure the soil is damp. My microwave is a convection oven /micro combo, but the convection element burned out--the micro part still works, though. I have noticed used micros in thrift shops over here quite often--the one I use in the kitchen came from there. I use the micro in the shed to sterilize pots, too. Just wash em, stack em and give them about 3 minutes tops--these are 4" pots. If you do it too long, they will melt. I amend my used potting soil with compost before sterilizing--then mix with some peat and some slow release complete fertilizer. For seed mix, I add vemuculite.

03/10/2012 at 19:52
Thank you so much Inkadog! Have a bin full of old potting compost, and a bunch of spring flowering bulbs to pot up. Fortunately also have garden shed with mains supply, as I understand process can be a bit...odiferous?
03/10/2012 at 20:00

Thanks for microwave info Inkadog.  I've had old microwave stored in the shed for ages and keep meaning to try and find out more details before zapping away! After reading your earlier post where you mentioned arbutus leaves I looked at your profile and see you are in Canada.  My son went to Pearson College on Vancouver Island (10 years ago) and we went out to see him there and absolutely loved the place.  He did a sort of work placement in Tofino with the Friends of Clayoquat Sound and had a wonderful time.  Just wondered if you lived anywhere near there.

Apologies if I'm being too nosey.