London (change)
Today 20°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
03/10/2012 at 23:27

Evening Nola!

Am I the only one NOT interested in Strictly Come Dancing?

04/10/2012 at 06:21

Good Morning Everyone

You might be Becks

I am still very busy putting plants to bed for the winter it will be good to spend more time on here

I picked the rest of the peppers and chillies in the veggie greenhouse yesterday

Have a lovely day Everyone

Pam LL x

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/autumncolour015.jpg

04/10/2012 at 07:42

The pic of Pam's showing the coloured veggies is wonderful. It really is very desirable to eat veggies with a range of colours, including yellows which are not common. The colours of veg was mentioned on Food Hospital last night (C4 8pm).

Food Hospital is fascinating. The previous week was about water cress and beetroot; last night was about asparagus, tumeric, kiwi fruits and pees. The gentleman on GW last Friday was driven by growing veggies with useful chemicals in them. This program was just that.

Food Hospital stressed that, although they know that a chemical in tumeric can kill cancer cells, it really isn't as simple as eating lots of curry. Kiwi is useful for helping insomnia. Asparagus is packed full of useful chemicals. I may put asparagus on shopping list this week, just to try it. Am not sure how to cook it. Volunteers on the show seemed to be eating it raw.

The bit on pees was fascinating. There is a wide range of colours. Colour alone is a diagnostic. Bright yellow indicates carotene in the pee. Cloudy pee indicates a bladder infection. And clear perfectly pee means the person has been drinking too much water and may be indicative of diabetes.

I normally watch Who Do You Think You Are, but that was postponed last night.

Missed the Jimmy Saville revelations. I'm not surprised about them. I can remember when Top of the Pops was the raunchiest show on TV.

04/10/2012 at 08:44

Morning all and hello Caroline, A lot to catch up on here.  Speaking of old computers, there is also a Spectrum and a Commodore in our loft. Remember them ?

Gary, got a bit confused ! Thought you you were talking about PEAS until I read all your post ! I always thought there was something odd about J. Saville .

Hoff of the day.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/12247.jpg?width=600&height=350&mode=max

Pam, your veg looks as good as your flowers.

04/10/2012 at 09:34

I'm here -please tick me off the register

Glad too see Nola appeared last night

Becks you are not alone-but I endure it in exchange for XF which I know you are such a fan of

Did anybody see the Kenny Everett programme?-I have recorded it

Nice veg Pam

I now know more about wee than I ever need to know -I shall use the knowledge wisely

There is a Spectrum in our loft somewhere and one of the first video consoles as well

04/10/2012 at 09:46

Hello Caroline

Love the photo, Pam. Veggies can be as pretty as flowers.

I once heard someone with a spray tan described as having a face the colour of hangover p**s.

I'm enjoying Downton, Inka. You've got something to look forward to after C********.

04/10/2012 at 10:05

Mark me in too, please. I've been watching the insects in the sun on my Lemon Queen whilst supposedly hanging out washing.

Impressive veg, Pam. I have something attacking my mini peppers before they are ready and my chilli plant went all wonky at the top and died off - I'm usually good with chillies :- (

Sorry you're not into SCD, Becks. Like me and XF, those are the conversations that will pass you by. I expect another non-fan will appear soon.

04/10/2012 at 10:19

Jean  

We have sunshine, I am going to pull up some more annuals today and plant some Hyancinths.

Talking of pee, I watched the programme last night where they used pee to make glue using rabbit skins.

04/10/2012 at 10:41

I'm here.

Kate, that sounds disgusting! But thanks for reminding me about the hyacinths - I realised I haven't done anything with them yet!

Hello Caroline ~~ (am waving)

Lovely and sunny here, and I'm off on an errand now - which involves the M25.

I may be some time!

04/10/2012 at 10:49

We had a commodore 64. Thought it was fantastic playing those ping pong games. No wonder todays youngsters think there were dinosaurs when I was growing up.

Going back to pee. That was the biggest export from Newcastle not coal. It was used in the tanning business. Everything has it's uses. What a job, going round collecting the contents of chamber pots! 

04/10/2012 at 11:05

The Romans used to have a big pot outside the washing houses as it was also used for soaking clothes in .They used to encourage people to wee in it as it was a really good stain remover. The slaves got the job of treading it.  I prefer to use a shop bought one.

Does anyone remember a game called ''Manic Miner''? Think it may have been for the Spectrum. Had hours of fun playing that.

04/10/2012 at 11:14

We all have to economise now, Jean. I wonder if I can buy a cheap slave?

04/10/2012 at 12:22

This thread is going down the toilet

Good job that I did the hyacinths today as while I was in the shed I found some daffodil bulbs. I have put them in pots to sink in the ground when the dahlias come out. I also turned some compost so I am now off out to buy a cake.

Lottie good luck on the M25.

04/10/2012 at 12:29

I'm here, late, but I have a note!

Sun is playing Pee-po today!

Pam, I envy your veggies. Mine will look like that next year.

Flo, is your Lemon Queen a plant or a person??

04/10/2012 at 12:53

Becks, hi, Lemon Queen is a tall sunflower- like herbaceous plant, but the flowers are quite small. Mine just in flower, on the veg plot (!) need to move it elswhere when have improved the soil.

BTW soz late, have been busy doing the demolision of toms etc in greenhouse. We keep having the odd shower, tho sun at the mo, so can now do bulb pots in the greenhouse under cover! There will be 2 trays of tomatoes on sills tonight. Washing to be tumbled, just got fed up with removing muddy gloves to get it in all the time.

OH's parcel here & 1 for daughter. Postie pleased about note on door. Daughter wont be pleased as have sent her a txt re lack of food/milk for over w/end when I'm away!

Right, back out, byee. J.

04/10/2012 at 13:43

I have survived the M25 and M23 unscathed, and am pleased to report no traffic hold-ups! A rarity I have to say. The new services at Cobham looks interesting but I didn't stop to investigate - maybe next time!

On the subject of pee (sorry everyone) I have heard that its a good compost activator - but some people say it has to be from blokes and some people say from ladies is better - does anyone know? Does it even make a difference??

Jo I might manage half a tray of tomatoes when I pick mine later. I'm surprised to have got any actually as most plants were blighted. A few against the front wall in pots managed to survive, but they were the ones I shoved in later, and have actually done better than the others.

04/10/2012 at 13:48

Lottie good news I was worried about you on the M25.

Becks do you like any trashy tv?

Jo I am impressed by those tomatoes.

04/10/2012 at 14:00

Lottie I think it is just the fact that us blokes need to feel we are better at something- but some science nerd will elucidate

04/10/2012 at 14:08

...if you wish.

The reason why pee is an excellent compost accelerator is that it is high in nitrogen, and has a similar effect to adding nettles or comfrey.

Here's a comprehensive and very interesting article...
http://www.theecologist.org/green_green_living/gardening/605742/urine_the_ultimate_organic_fertiliser.html

"Fresh human urine is sterile and so free from bacteria. ... it is so sterile that it can be drunk when fresh.... applying urine to growing vegetables once every week for at least two months will more than double the yield... Urine is too strong to be used neat on plants. Dilute at least 10:1 and up to 50:1 for use on tender plants and seedlings."

04/10/2012 at 14:12

That explains why bushes and trees in lay-bys flourish