London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 17°C
19/10/2012 at 15:11

Ah come on, you have to play in the snow Geoff that's what it's there for. 

I'm not sure why I like walking in the rain, I have always liked it though. Perhaps I had too many out of season holidays in Wales as a kid...

19/10/2012 at 15:13

Don't think it's going to happen next year Geoff. I want to replace all my carpets next year, and decorate the living room, possibly getting a new sofa.  Funds definately won't stretch to both.

Not sure about the rhubarb leggi. I haven't got that far yet.

19/10/2012 at 15:20

No hate snow-well hate winter-such a grouch

I think we need to find you that sugar daddy Becks-so please check your cyberlocker

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n627/thedogcody/Candy-Sugar-Daddy-Wrapper-Small.jpg

19/10/2012 at 15:22

Just been reading next week's Radio Time.

There's an extraordinary program on C4 next Friday night. Derren Brown 'convinces' someone that the earth has been hit by a meteorite, and he comes round in an abandoned military hospital. The program seems an enormously elaborate hoax, with over a 100 actors taking part, simulating the devasted environment. Teaser video clip on this page:
http://derrenbrown.co.uk/derren-brown-apocalypse-26th-october/

19/10/2012 at 15:30

I'll pass on a live sugar daddy geoff, but will happily take the sweet!  Thankyou!

19/10/2012 at 15:30

Hi all.

Not read the recent posts, may get round to it sometime...

Daughter's cold has really struck! Am now streaming & ache all over. Sneezed earlier & back muscle went- ouch. So am swallowing various painkillers & feeling a right grump. Have abandoned plans of w/end away, annoying as know by Sunday will feel a lot better, despite having a Rudolph nose! The thought of a 2hr+ drive tomorrow does not appeal at the mo.

May pop back later, J.

19/10/2012 at 15:37

As earlier just received very young rhubarb plant. Do I have to slug protect, frost protect etc for first year. Variety is Livingstone - autumn harvesting. Currently about 8 ins high

19/10/2012 at 15:37

I like a bit of Derren -wasn't there a spoof programme a few years back that convinced people that they were on a space mission and then there was the one about the passenger landing a plane?

19/10/2012 at 15:41

Space Cadets-how can people be so gullible?-wasn't Derren this time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Cadets_%28TV_series%29

19/10/2012 at 15:44

Rhubarb does well in part shde in my garden Becks.

bjay- Rhubarb- get it into well composted/manured soil in a spot that you know wont want for anything else for a couple of yrs. Dont bury it completely, just leave the crown a wee bit proud of soil level- stops rotting & lets you know where it is! Wont need slug nor frost protection, but will appreciate a good mulch around the crown this autumn. Dont force a new clump until it's a couple of yrs old- let it get well established first.

I've actually planted Cyclamen Coum next to my clumps. These flower & die back before the rhubarb leaves emerge & get big & then the cyclamen appreciates the shade from the rhubarb leaves later in the yr! J.

19/10/2012 at 15:48

Thanks jo. Did your daughters flight arrive on time?

19/10/2012 at 15:54

Thanks Jo. Can only give it a go.

Have ordered another crown and plan to put cherry tree between the 2 in a bed all of their own. May use it for cutting daffs - but that's next year

19/10/2012 at 16:36

Have just has a new variation on the spam scammmers-this one is about how you pay bills and there is a problem processing a payment-Talk Talk in this case-fine if you don't have a Talk Talk account to pay but say you did?

19/10/2012 at 16:44
jo4eyes wrote (see)

Rhubarb does well in part shde in my garden Becks.

bjay- Rhubarb- get it into well composted/manured soil in a spot that you know wont want for anything else for a couple of yrs. Dont bury it completely, just leave the crown a wee bit proud of soil level- stops rotting & lets you know where it is! Wont need slug nor frost protection, but will appreciate a good mulch around the crown this autumn. Dont force a new clump until it's a couple of yrs old- let it get well established first.

I've actually planted Cyclamen Coum next to my clumps. These flower & die back before the rhubarb leaves emerge & get big & then the cyclamen appreciates the shade from the rhubarb leaves later in the yr! J.

Ooh I do like the cyclamen coum idea!

19/10/2012 at 16:45

Oh yes, the flight was on time after all. I just about remembered the way around the airport- 3 terminals- & she sensibly was standing right at the beginning of the drop off/pick up spaces. Ironically at the end there isnt an actual sign for pick up from arrivals, but after an extra lap around a couple of adjacent roundabouts I remembered that there was only the 1 entrance/exit to that terminal so went along & there she was!

The police wont let you wait for long, nor anywhere nearby, so you really should go into the shortstay carpark & pay through the nose, but no thank you!

Have just seen our resident little field mouse around the birdfeeders. Sweet, yes until it & it's relatives snip the shoots off my plants! J.

19/10/2012 at 16:49

Must admit I am quite pleased with my brainwave re the CCoum too! I wanted to keep them separate from the others & not lose track of them, as I may have done with some more, under the big tree roots. Tree now felled & not sure they have survived that. Dont think I spotted them this Spring, but wasnt really up to much then as having chemo, whereas next to the rhubarb those are fine! J.

19/10/2012 at 16:54

I moved some clumps of c.hederifolium a few weeks ago - VERY nervewracking, as they were flowering, and one had a corm the size of a dinnerplate. I made little nests for them out of leafmould, and they don't seen to have noticed at all!

I think I've got some c.coum lurking somehere up my back passage, will write a note to myself to have a poke around.

19/10/2012 at 16:56
figrat wrote (see)

I think I've got some c.coum lurking somehere up my back passage, will write a note to myself to have a poke around.

Oh my!!!

19/10/2012 at 17:02

Factoid:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/15090.jpg?width=222&height=350&mode=max

19/10/2012 at 17:05

Sorry, text  a bit blurry:

'The entire internet is stored using 540 billion trillion electrons. Which all together weigh about  50 grams. Or about the weight of one strawberry'

And 45 grams are taken up by this thread!