London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
24/10/2012 at 17:38

Well, The one that's still producing now was a shop bought one which is Elan, but I sowed some Alexandria Alpine seeds in June, just for fun really, and they are now big and healthy. They are everywhere. In hanging baskets, pots, morrisons buckets and some in the ground. I know it was out of season, but wanted to monitor the speed of growth really ready for next year. I have about 30 plants now.

24/10/2012 at 17:40

Just flicked through November issue of GW mag which was sat on the doormat on my arrival home! 

A bit of a snippet on AT's Secret Garden! Very nice! But for some reason didn't expect it to be so formal, symmetrical n regimental! He has OCD! 

24/10/2012 at 17:42

Talking of OCD, do you think Dan has been taken to a funny farm because he couldn't mow the grass every Saturday morning lately, due to it being wet?? He better have a good excuse for going AWOL!

24/10/2012 at 17:44

Think as you have posted before! He has a lot more work commitment!

24/10/2012 at 17:49

Perhaps Dan is still sorting through the crocosmia requests

You have done well Becks to get that many from seed -you must have greenfingers as well-have a look

24/10/2012 at 17:58

Geoff

and talking about crocosmia! Looks like the parents house as sold! Really need to get a nursery bed set up on the plot n go get some divisions! The old Dear has got some Gorgeous plants in her garden! Lucifer too! Which I adore!

24/10/2012 at 17:58

I think I can see a trickle of green running through the veins!

24/10/2012 at 18:00

Hello again. Don't know what was going on but am up to speed again now.

Thanks for that advice Becks. Will give them a try.

lovely looking compost, My bin that's 'cooked' is beginning to look like that. Just stir it when I feel like it. So now I have one that is cooking and one being filled up.

24/10/2012 at 18:09

I'm really tempted to get one of those compost bins from the link suggested, we use a black plastic bin at home but that's normally full by late Spring so could do with some extra space.

Becks well done with the strawbs, I didn't know they were easy from seeds. You'll have plants for years if you take off the runners next year too.

Have been to the allotment today and both me and OH have been bitten by horsefly, has anyone tried that Avon cream I often see recommended?

24/10/2012 at 18:31

Evening all,  I have a good excuse for being late Sir - I've been to school today!! Had a great time helping a Year 4/5 class prepare for their Halloween party tomorrow.  Made paper origami boxes for the peppermint creams they'd made, decorated the class with cobwebs, spiders, witches hats and, the best bit, carved faces in 2 big pumpkins (and did it all voluntarily).  Am pretty tired now  but had fun.

Lottie - forgot to say how adorable Alfie looks.

24/10/2012 at 18:35

Have been crawling on the floor-which is not good at my age-paper jam in the printer

Life does not get more exciting than this?

Haven't tried that Leggi

Our compost bins came via council a few years back on a subsidised scheme

24/10/2012 at 18:38

Geoff - Did you find your missing spider while you were down there?

24/10/2012 at 18:39

Leggie! Sorry! Cannot comment!

Beck's! You have the bug! Not the one! but the gardening one! 

n funny you should say that!! My gardening buddies daughter, who we got involved at sowing time earlier in the season, has been bitten too! n as today set me a competition for next season! 

The biggest sunflower! Any tip's! I don't want to look a pillock! Excuse my French!

24/10/2012 at 18:58
carolinesmith wrote (see)

Evening all,  I have a good excuse for being late Sir - I've been to school today!! Had a great time helping a Year 4/5 class prepare for their Halloween party tomorrow.  Made paper origami boxes for the peppermint creams they'd made, decorated the class with cobwebs, spiders, witches hats and, the best bit, carved faces in 2 big pumpkins (and did it all voluntarily).  Am pretty tired now  but had fun.

Would you like to see my effort for Halloween? It isn't for the feint hearted, so if you do, I'll add the photos as a link rather than directly onto the forum.

24/10/2012 at 19:00

Yes Eddie - would love to see your photos.

24/10/2012 at 19:04

No Caz-I didn't see the spider- that is the worry it is in the house somewhere-and is it is enormous about 2 inches across from leg to leg-not as bit as Lunarz slug mate but still big

How was school?-did you have to sort any of them out?

Eddie-we are big and brave-well some of us are-bring it on

24/10/2012 at 19:17

Dean, I have no tips for sunflowers except don't do what I did!! Naively plant them without slug protection, and on a side of the garden with no sun!! We started 10 off in the house, transplanted them when couple of inches and 8 got eaten. I snapped one by accident, and our last remaining one has only just started to open out, due to lack of sun. FAIL!

24/10/2012 at 19:46

Oh Becks-that must before the fingers started changing colour-though the clue was in the title- Sunflower

24/10/2012 at 19:48
carolinesmith wrote (see)

Yes Eddie - would love to see your photos.

Don't forget that you have been warned.

I have so far put approx 20hrs of work into this, 8-10hrs of which were spent on the warriors hair alone with still more work  to do. I drilled approx 500 holes into the scalp and inserted hair into each hole.

The first photo shows the head of a hairdressers training head before receiving my own treatment, and the second shows it during transformation!

http://imageshack.us/a/img189/1713/onehl.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/6521/dscf8860m.jpg

24/10/2012 at 19:57

Becks, I suggest you don't click on those links if Jess is nearby!

Eddie - very ghoulish! I take it those are your halloween props?

Gary, please note I am now at home and posting in my own time, not work time - I trust you approve.