London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
15/11/2012 at 22:16

Night Inka.

16/11/2012 at 07:00

Morning forkers.

It was a misty day here yesterday. Everything was damp, as though rain had been falling. It's slightly better this morning, but not much.

From Google News this morning - an article in a US newspaper about the increasing number of people who want a garden, but don't want to do any gardening. They want plants that require little pruning, minimal irrigation, no pest-control treatment and no protection during freezes. The article provides lists of plants suitable for US gardens...
http://www.theledger.com/article/20121115/COLUMNISTS0403/211155000

In the UK, people can come here, to ask a similar sort of question.

Some comments about the Apprentice coming up. This is not a spoiler, rather general remarks about last night's program....

This week's task was supposed to be about bargaining, and driving down costs. Some of the candidates tried to that. Some were more successful than others. In the Boardroom, Lord Sugar had a difficult choice to make. But I didn't hear him make any mention of how well any of those candiates had performed at bargaining.

The treat for the winning team was one of the best treats I've ever seen. They were invited to visit Hamleys Toyshop, and pick their own pressies. Radio controlled helicopters seemed popular.

16/11/2012 at 08:37

Morning Gary. Where's everyone today? Lost in the mist perhaps.

Sad, in a way, that some people think they can have a garden without gardening. I suppose the only upside is that they may become interested and want to learn whereas if they concrete it over then there's another green space gone.

Don't tend to watch the Apprentice in the early stages mainly because it's a lot of time to commit to the telly and I have many programmes backing up on my hard drive!

16/11/2012 at 08:37

Morning everyone  love the Ken and Barbie jokes

Love the photos, Inka. Such a beautiful place.

Becks. I would not be happy with B.T.

Boring day today, need to do a big shop as the 'fridge looks like Mother Hubbards cupboard Will pick Pam's article up as well

Dean- This selling houses lark is a right pain - hope you find a home for garden stuff

Georg - hubbie has remote controlled helicopter. And a remote controlled James Bond car.  Big kid.

Have a good day everyone and Hi to everyone I've missed.

16/11/2012 at 09:06

Hola

Off out to do this gardening job shortly-then an exciting trip to Aldi-but will get the Forkers advent calendar

Will keep the receipt- so I can can claim it back on expenses

Catch up later

16/11/2012 at 09:28

Morning All.

Hope all are well.Didn't get up very early this morning, was warm and comfy and it's not very nice outside today, dull and miserable.

We are going to a funeral this lunch time, a long time neighbour, not particularly close, but thought we would go and pay our respects. So the thought of that doesn't do much to lift the gloom. 

On a lighter note, we are going to friends this evening for a celebratory meal, it's his birthday, so looking forward to getting together with other friends, and she is a jolly good cook, so should be a good evening.

Enjoy your day forkers, might be back later, got a lot to pack in today.

ChrisX

16/11/2012 at 10:24

Good morning everyone,

Wasn't Inka's photo stunning. I don't think I'd get much done if I lived there. I'd be whale spotting.

I must get out and tidy up  outside ins pite of it being so dreary. I'll get cabin fever if I stay in again today.

Catch you all later.

16/11/2012 at 10:34
Morning all, looks like it's going to ne a nice day, so hope to be able to find a gap in my working from home schedule to get out into the garden. The trouble is my PC is in the centre section of the fitted wardrobes in the spare bedroom. It has mirrors on the inside of the doors and as a I am working at the PC, I can see the reflection of the garden in them. I am easily distracted!

Answered all my email, now going to have a cuppa and a bicycle before I set to at the PC.

Have a nice day all
Glyn
16/11/2012 at 10:51

Morning all. Sun again, but lots of rain due later.

Quick nip in before I start cleaning downstairs- oops who planned to do it yesterday? Nurse due lunchtime so needs must! NOT houseproud, but there is a limit to the dust layer.......

'B' boiler woke me just after 6am with its' 'whistling'! 4X I got up & prodded things!! Poor daughter had only got back in about 2.30am so she's now grumpy, not surprisingly. Shall give them a ring sometime soon so they know before they return to do rest of bathroom bits.

Have altered Tesco delivery & added some more items already. Back to a Tuesday again, but late in afternoon. Wed now free for me to go Christmas shopping without daughter who turns out to be off again on Thursday!

OMG is that the time? Byee.... J.

16/11/2012 at 11:09
Inkadog, your photo reminds me of some lovely holidays on the west coast. Have a friend who had a lovely cabin in the woods overlooking the sea with a little jetty you could swim from. It was so lovely there.

Went up to Telegraph Cove from Campbell River to go whale watching but the weather was bad ans we couldn't see anything. We then found out that they were on their way down to Campbell River. Did manage to see an Orca off Tofino hunting seals.

We cruised all up the coast of Norway, up to Iceland and down to Ireland, didn't see one whale!

You are very lucky to live there.
Glyn
16/11/2012 at 11:39

Morning late with present mark this morning. 

Jist come back from swimming - today was encouraged to put nose in water and blow bubbles. As I have a thing about face in water was quite hard but did manage it a couple of times. did keep my chin under the water though that is progress to me

Bearded iris collection has come today that was in GW mag - more potting . Question should I pot and put in greenhouse (not heated) or pot and leave outside?

Last night I caught up on last weeks apprentice on iplayer, so still have to remember to catch up on yesterdays.

Had to buy tomatoes today, up to now we've been eating our own. Roll on next summer

See you all later

16/11/2012 at 12:08

Bjay I'd pot up the iris, if their eventual site not ready/decided & tuck the pot next to the house wall. That way they're sheltered, but still outside. With their being packaged & in transit they've been a bit 'tucked up' for a while, so some limited protection may be best. They are hardy so even the unheated greenhouse could be 'warm' for them. I've got a couple of old doubleglazing bits that I lean against the outside of my greenhouse & something such as that gives protection from the worst, but isnt too warm.

Well that was the quickest, skimpiest clean I've done in yrs! Ok still to do kitchen, downstairs loo & bathroom but that will be fine later on, before OH arrives back just as GQT starts!

Trip to Manchester Christmas markets now planned. Apple strudle here I come! Can use my 'free' bus ticket too. J.

16/11/2012 at 12:11

Thanks Jo. Potting up here I come.

16/11/2012 at 12:26

Hello everyone. Late checking in today, will probably get a black mark from the teacher. Its very grey and damp today, I can't decide whether to go and do some digging in a little while or not.

I'm going to have to start buying eggs, the chickens have decided they won't lay any more and I've used up the small supply we had. And I want to do some baking this weekend. I need a few other bits from the supermarket as well so might shop at lunchtime instead of digging. Could shop after work but when its dark and cold I just want to hurry home!

Cubs last night was good, we did a whole Scottish themed evening, and gave them haggis to eat, with tatties (and what Akela thought were neeps but weren't!!) and washed down with Irn Bru, then some oatcakes and cheese (although I don't think that was very Scottish) then some shortcake.  After they'd eaten we told them what was in the haggis! We also had a bagpipe player in his full regalia - our local school (the one my boys went to) has a pipes and drums band.

Hmm, wonder if I could make some apple strudel? 

16/11/2012 at 12:33

Afternoon all - everyone sounds very busy today. I'm having a lazy day today as OH is away for a few days.  Making little felt ornaments for Christmas trees which I put on friends/relations Christmas cards. Here's something for you today Jo

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/15806.jpg?width=278&height=350&mode=max

16/11/2012 at 13:32

Still damp cold,misty and drizzly

Am back at base-odd morning-did the gardening job-will make a couple of more visits to get it straight-was then taken on a shopping trip-finally ended up at Lidl where a frozen turkey was purchased

The decision has now been made that we will have Christmas Dinners on two successive weekends and home made Chinese on Christmas Day itself-which is different

Caz-I like that

Lottie that sounds like a fun night-don't want to rub it in but Honey one of the new hens laid her first egg this morning so now getting between 3/5 per day-still leaves one that hasn't started yet

Bjay-fully understand on the swimming front-just not my idea of fun

I have this funny image of Glyn sitting in a wardobe,facing a wall,daring to peek outside without being spotted

An up and down day for you then Chris-it is funeral weather

Hello Jo Jean Gary Pam and Flo-the new Spice Girls

16/11/2012 at 13:47

Still not potted iris. One I think will put direct in ground as bed prepared and been waiting for it.

Had a very convincing e-mail today from Santander, had fsa stuff on it etc saying my account had been entered. OH said check so rang them.Apparently it was phishy one and had to forward it on - had ther insignia fsa details and everything. Be warned

Also good news daughter rang to say insurance settlement on her car crash injury - bad whip lash- has been settled and is more pennies than she thought. Horrible out there, fog seems to be thickening up but I must go. I may be some time!

16/11/2012 at 13:53

Afternoon lovelies!

Here's a recipie for those who like a tipple!

Vodka Christmas Cake recipe
1 cup sugar,
1 tsp baking powder,
1 cup water,
1 tsp salt ,
1 cup brown sugar,
Lemon juice,
4 large eggs,
Nuts,
1 bottle Vodka,
2 cups dried fruit.

Sample a cup of Vodka to check quality.
Take a large bowl, check the Vodka again to be sure it is of the highest quality then Repeat.
Turn on the electric mixer.
Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.
Add 1 teaspoon of sugar.
Beat again.
At this point, it is best to make sure the Vodka is still OK.
Try another cup just in case.
Turn off the mixerer thingy.
Break 2 eegs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.
Pick the fruit up off the floor, wash it and put it in the bowl a piece at a time trying to count it.
Mix on the turner.
If the fried druit getas stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver.
Sample the Vodka to test for tonsisticity.
Next, sift 2 cups of salt, or something.
Check the Vodka.
Now shit shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.
Add one table.
Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.
Greash the oven.
Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.
Don't forget to beat off the turner.
Finally, throw the bowl through the window.
Finish the Vodka and wipe the counter with the dog!
Enjoy!

16/11/2012 at 13:55

BJay - I've had suspect stuff from Santander too.  They informed me that all their mail will be addressed to you by name - never Dear Customer or anything like that. That often sorts out the bogus ones.

Geoff - are we good to go on the Advent Calendar?   Your hens sound very happy layers - have they all got names? 

16/11/2012 at 14:07

Becks

-love it

Caz-calendar is bought-

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/15807.jpg?width=350

The hens all have names there is The White One ,The Black One,Honey, Bluebelle and Flo and The Speckedly one with no name