London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
21/11/2012 at 13:54

Oh that brings back momories Lottie. We used to have the presents for the kids across the road from our first house. Bikes stored on the bottom of stairs landing -an open plan house & gardens. The 2 youngest lads kept either kicking their ball to under the window & then trying to see in, or knocking with some silly excuse & craning their heads to try & see!

Becks- dont forget Father Christmas must use different wrapping paper to you or sis or Granny..... oops, learnt my lesson there. J.

21/11/2012 at 13:54

Those are the Christmas' we remember Lottie that didn't seem so funny at the time, but have a good laugh about it afterwards.

We didn't have much money when my son and daughter were little but we bought a second hand chopper bike one Christmas and my son still says it was the best present he ever had. Nowadays there are some lovely toys at boot sales. They seem so expensive in the shops and don't seem to have much play value. There doesn't seem to be adverts on television for the must have toys now. Have they clamped down on them?

21/11/2012 at 13:57

Prynhawn Da pawb it's quite sunny here today  so have been outside for yet another clear up session.  Chopping down the sedums took ages - it's surprising how heavy each stem is especially when wet.

I have never been able to watch horror/ghost films - they terrify me!  You're very brave Jean - with or without pants.

Last Christmas, my mother came here for Christmas Eve and was planning to go to my brother on Christmas Day.  She refused to stay the night with us (which meant someone couldn't have a drink) no matter what we tried.  My son took here home at 9.30 pm and when my brother went to collect her on Christmas morning she had fallen before she went to bed and hurt her arm.  Brother took her to A&E and they confirmed it was broken.  Back to hospital on Boxing Day for another plaster and in the end she had to stay here with me for 6 weeks until plaster came off!  Think she learnt her lesson the hard way - haven't discussed this Christmas with her yet!

21/11/2012 at 13:57

OH has a thing about those windmills Pam-we have the photographs to prove it

In the paper today there was a spoiler about Hugo's trial-will now have to pretend I didn't see it.

Plenty of flood pictures on news at lunchtme

21/11/2012 at 14:02

Ha ha Jo - I remember being quizzed once as to why Santa used the same wrapping paper as I did.

21/11/2012 at 14:03

I think children know Santa isn't real a long time before we realise and go along with it for the parents sake. Usually some bigger kid at school spills the beans but they go along with it just in case he is real. One of my grandson's friends was in tears when he found out.

Jo, I agree with the wrapping paper. A dead give away.

21/11/2012 at 14:11

Santa isn't real

Well thanks a bunch-that has ruined my life-

-so who was that that man in a funny suit that asked me to sit on his lap-Jimmy Savile?

21/11/2012 at 14:30

Question: What's red and white and gives presents to good little fish on Christmas?
Answer: Sandy Claws.

Question: Why does Santa have 3 gardens?
So he can ho-ho-ho.

Question: What do you get when you cross a snowman with a vampire?
Answer: Frostbite.

Question: Why was Santa's little helper depressed?
Because he had low elf esteem.

Question: What do you get when you cross an archer with a gift-wrapper?
Answer: Ribbon hood.

Question: What do you call people who are afraid of Santa Claus?
Answer: Claustrophobic.

Question: What do snowmen eat for breakfast?
Answer: Snowflakes.

Question: Why did the little girl change her mind about buying her grandmother a packet of handkerchiefs for Christmas?
Answer: She said "I could not work out what size her nose was!

Question: What was so good about he neurotic doll the girl was given for Christmas?
Answer: It was wound up already.

Question: What was wrong with the boy's brand new toy electric train set he received for Christmas?
Answer: Forty feet of track - all straight!

I wanna tell you what kind of luck I've got. If this year I cornered the mistletoe market, they'd postpone Christmas.

Christmas: When you exchange hellos with strangers and good buys with friends.

Christmas is the time when people put so many bulbs on the outside of their houses, you don't know if they're celebrating the birth of Jesus or the SEB

Did you hear about the Beverly Hills school Christmas pageant? Two kids dressed as Mary and Joseph and they are on their way to the inn in Bethlehem. On the other side of the stage, a boy in a shepherd's outfit is on a mobile/ cellular phone, calling for reservations.

Sometimes I get the feeling that if Christmas, Father's Day and birthdays did not exist, then aftershave too, would not exist.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n627/thedogcody/christmas%20animations/Christmas57.gif

21/11/2012 at 14:35

Also saw that Brian Conley is out of Celebs, don't know why. It's the Bed Test tonight, ALL the contestants have to sleep in a bath of cockroaches, or something.

Top toys for 3-year olds this year are tablet computers, at least according to the Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2208340/Tis-season-tech-toy-kiddie-tablets-Toy-Insider-gift-list.html

But if Jess already has her own website and cloud server, perhaps she's already got better kit than that.

I'd also suggest a minature garden fork, electric propagator, and pair of marygolds.

I'm not convinced about the economics of wind turbines for farmers. It's a scheme being pushed by the Librerals, at a cost to the taxpayer.

21/11/2012 at 14:55

Just been to the supermarket - its foul out there at the moment. Strong winds and driving rain and cold!

I remember a friend's son getting into a punch-up at school when he was told by another kid that Santa wasn't real!

I still buy pre-loved presents for my nephews. They don't know the difference, and they loved the scooters I got them in the summer.

One year we got OH's welly boot and made a footprint on the hearth. The kids were utterly convinced. Now they don't bother getting out of bed until nearly lunchtime.

Apparently Brian Conley suffers from depression and I think he withdrew from Celeb because he was finding it difficult to cope with the conditions. A bit odd to go in in the first place really.

21/11/2012 at 14:59
Ay up then! Home early, 13 year olds entertained and all is well. Stopped raining and not too bad out. Stopped off at the garden centre and got myself some flowers and fruit and veg. Some lovely yellow plum tomatoes, really sweet.

Need to start work again when I've had a cuppa.
Glyn
21/11/2012 at 15:11

One year when my brother and I believed in the bearded one we'd gone to our Gran's for Christmas. We were worried about the lack of snow in case Santa couldn't make it.     We were told ' don't worry he'll use his helicopter'. We were awake early wanting to see if he'd been but my grandad said no he could hear his helicopter coming so get back to bed. I really believed that I could hear it too. Kids imagine is wonderful and I think you can convince them of anything which is a bit scary sometimes.

21/11/2012 at 15:20

I'm back. All goodies collected! I'm not going to be able to play on the pogo stick. It really is for tiny tots. I'm not a tiny tot anymore.

Jean, I did see Woman in Black, but wasn't that impressed, but in all honesty, I was busy doing other stuff whilst attempting to watch it, so I may have missed vital bits. Will give it another go, and my full attention!

Oh Lottie, I just laughed at your bike/other half story. Bet you weren't pleased at the time!

jo, don't mention wrapping paper. As her birthday is just 3 days before, I have to buy both, and get terribly confused about what I bought for B'day and Christmas.

Pam, try glancing at the kiddies channels. More adverts for toys than the actual programmes them selves. Sick of hearing 'I wish I had one of them!' And I'm totally ignoring the 'Santa isn't real' comment! You've been brainwashed!

Gary, Gary, Gary. I don't know why you seem to think Jess would have all the latest gadgets. The laptop she potters around on is an acient dinosaur even she gets frustarted with as it's that slow. Also bought off ebay for a silly low price. I couldn't justify paying that amount of money on one toy for a 3/4 year old. In fact the price shown for that will cover both her birthday and Christmas presents this year.

The comments underneath the article just about sum it all up. 'Toys' like that are for parents who can't be bothered playing with their kids. They are just electronic babysitters. I have upstairs roughly 10 board games I have bought for her this year, all 2 player so we can both sit and play for hours, which she loves.But your fork, propogator and gloves are excellent suggestions.

I actually cocked up a bit yesterday. I put 2 bids on 2 scooters, and forgot about the other one. And I've won that as well, also 99p.

21/11/2012 at 15:20

Does Santa really exist?

There are approximately two billion children (persons under 18) in the world. However, since Santa does not visit children of Muslim, Hindu, Jewish or Buddhist (except maybe in Japan) religions, this reduces the workload for Christmas night to 15% of the total, or 378 million (according to the population reference bureau). At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that comes to 108 million homes, presuming there is at least one good child in each. Santa has about 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 967.7 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with a good child, Santa has around 1/1000 th of a second to park the sleigh, hop out, jump down the chimney, fill the stocking, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left for him, get back up the chimney, jump into the sleigh and get onto the next house.

Assuming that each of these 108 million stops is evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false, but will accept for the purposes of our calculations), we are now talking about 0.78 miles per household; a total trip of 75.5 million miles, not counting bathroom stops or breaks. This means Santa’s sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second--3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man made vehicle, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second, and a conventional reindeer can run (at best) 15 miles per hour.

The payload of the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming That each child gets nothing more than a medium sized LEGO set (two pounds), the sleigh is carrying over 500 thousands tons, not counting Santa himself. on land, a conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that the "flying" reindeer can pull 10 times the normal amount, the job can’t be done with eight or even nine of them---Santa would need 360,000 of them. This increases the payload, not counting the weight of the sleigh, another 54,000 tons, or roughly seven times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth (the ship, not the monarch). 600,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance - this would heat up the reindeer in the same fashion as a spacecraft re-entering the earth’s atmosphere.

The lead pair of reindeer would adsorb 14.3 quintillion joules of energy per second each. In short, they would burst into flames almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them and creating deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team would be vaporised within 4.26 thousandths of a second, or right about the time Santa reached the fifth house on his trip.

Not that it matters, however, since Santa, as a result of accelerating from a dead stop to 650 m.p.s. in .001 seconds, would be subjected to acceleration forces of 17,000 g’s. A 250 pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of the sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force, instantly crushing his bones and organs and reducing him to a quivering blob of pink goo. Therefore, if Santa did exist, he’s dead now.

Merry Christmas

21/11/2012 at 15:24

Geoff. It doesn't work like that. He is magic. 

21/11/2012 at 15:27

Well done Becks   -  I think the thing that kids value more than anything is your time and undivided attention.  Jess is a lucky little girl.

21/11/2012 at 15:28

I went to bed one Christmas Eve rather the worse for wear!

Somebody awoke before 'the delivery', but 'Mother' Christmas had already been & drunk all the sherry so another glass was needed & why did I drink that one too?

Daughter makes OH a box of 'goodies' every yr now. Silly things like a book of paper airoplane models- still some left, another sudoku book, his favourite nibbles, etc. Not a sock nor hankie in sight. She said she's got all the bits for this yr. Her 'stocking' too could end up as a pillowcase again this year!

Am being 'good' & flopped watching whatever is on tv/taped. The sun has actually arrived, so will go to sort out feeder next. A squirrel has been 'rooting' in my Hellebore pot.   J.

21/11/2012 at 15:33

Thanks Caz. I'll give her one for her birthday, and then Santa must have known she wanted one, and got her the other!

jo, we do similar for the adults. More novelty, silly stuff, that makes us smile. Although my Dad wasn't impressed with his 'Bald Mans Comb' last year!

21/11/2012 at 15:34

Is that one present your dad will never part with?

21/11/2012 at 15:34

Afternoon everyone

It has been a foul day here weatherwise - raining ,dark,gloomy..........I have finished wrapping all the childrens' christmas presents- just a couple more to arrive

Luckily our nephew is a plumber and heating engineer - he is going to pop in to have a look at the boiler - Barry is convinced it is a valve gone wrong .We have a lovely gas fire in the sitting room and an emersion heater so won't be cold or have no hot water

When our boys were small ( they are 47,45 and 44 now) we didn't have much money and there weren't car boots or ebay - I used to go and pay some money each week in the sports shop in the village  in the run up to Christmas to pay for a football kit for our youngest son who was sport mad. Middle son's music teacher helped us choose a trombone one year and I paid for that weekly till Christmas - this son is now an acoustics consultant  Our eldest son was into bird watching,stargazing and metal detecting so one year had a telescope,another year a metal detector

These days we only buy presents for our Grandchildren and try to keep to a budget - try being the word - I always go over as I love buying them presents

I always get a carrier bag full of goodies from youngest Son and DIL - all bought from car boots  They do buy me something really nice ,too

Congratulations on your news Lottie

I am a great great Aunt

Pam LL x