Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
28/11/2012 at 17:59

Morning, Afternoon, Evening? Inka! 

28/11/2012 at 18:08

Evening Dean!

Thanks for that link Bjay!

28/11/2012 at 18:10

Still morning here, Dean. Sad to say the highlight of my day is going to get a flu shot.

Was alarmed to see images of flooding your way on the news last night!

28/11/2012 at 18:14

Yo Beck's!

Not too bad where we are Inka! But do feel very sorry for all though's effected! It must be a nightmare! 

28/11/2012 at 18:22

We were dry, Inka but getting around this area is tricky. Although water is going down still lot of roads closed. and hard to go a distance

Becks 

28/11/2012 at 18:40

Hi Forkers - like your new avatar Desperate Dean.   I have now returned to 2012 after being in the 1960's all day - been making pop-art pictures and doing The Twist with the kids.  Great fun but shattered now.  Hope the lurgy is fizzling out Becks & Jess and hope everyone else is OK.

28/11/2012 at 18:45

Yo Caz! Sorry! Sidelining! Researching! It is quiet on here! 

28/11/2012 at 18:52

Trying to fix my printer.

28/11/2012 at 18:56

Beck's! What's up with it?

28/11/2012 at 19:07

If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?

28/11/2012 at 19:09

Had me dinner-fish and chips

Evening Desperate and Caz-forgot about the Twist-Chubby Checker-how or why do I retain all this useless information?

Someone will have inky-fingers

28/11/2012 at 19:13

If Fish obviously have sex in water! Why do we drink it! 

28/11/2012 at 19:14

Don't know the answer to that one Caz-but will find out-now how about this?~~

If you hover in a helicopter over the Earth-and the Earth is spinning -can you just wait for the countries you want to visit to come round so you can land on them?

28/11/2012 at 19:15

Think of the other things they do in the water too Dean

28/11/2012 at 19:17

Why is milk white when it comes from a cow, who's stable diet is grass which is green?

28/11/2012 at 19:18

Caz! 

28/11/2012 at 19:22

Geoff! 

28/11/2012 at 19:24

This is what I think

Because of relativity, to you the observer, your headlights work exactly the same no matter your speed These are exactly the kind of question that Einstein often asked himself from the age of 16 until he discovered special relativity ten years later. Einstein reported that in 1896 he thought,

``If I pursue a beam of light with the velocity c (velocity of light in a vacuum), I should observe such a beam of light as a spatially oscillatory electromagnetic field at rest. However, there seems to be no such thing, whether on the basis of experience or according to Maxwell's equations. From the very beginning it appeared to me intuitively clear that, judged from the standpoint of such an observer, everything would have to happen according to the same laws as for an observer who, relative to the earth, was at rest. For how, otherwise, should the first observer know, i.e., be able to determine, that he is in a state of fast uniform motion? One sees that in this paradox the germ of the special relativity theory is already contained. Today everyone knows, of course, that all attempts to clarify this paradox satisfactorily were condemned to failure as long as the axiom of the absolute character of time, viz., of a simultaneous, unrecognizedly was anchored in the unconscious. Clearly to recognize this axiom and its arbitrary character really implies already the solution to the problem.''

In 1905 he realised how it could be that light always goes at the same speed no matter how fast you go. Events that are simultaneous in one reference frame will happen at different times in another that has a velocity relative to the first. Space and time cannot be taken as absolute. On this basis Einstein constructed the theory of special relativity, which has since been well confirmed by experiment.

If you want to know what happens when you are driving at very nearly the speed of light, an answer can be given. Within your car you observe no unusual effects. You can look at yourself in your mirror which is moving with the car and you will look the same as usual. Looking out of the window is a different matter. The light from your headlights will always go at the speed of light in your reference frame. It will strike any object in its path and be reflected back. Everything else will be coming towards you at nearly the speed of light, so the light reflected from it will be Doppler shifted to very high frequencies--towards the ultraviolet or beyond. If you have a suitable camera you could take a snapshot. The objects passing are contracted in length but because of the different times of passage for the light and effects of aberration, the snapshot will show the objects you pass as rotated

28/11/2012 at 19:27

Well, that's as clear as mud - thanks Geoff   I thought it was something to do with that

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

28/11/2012 at 19:28

Caz! There ya go! All is now clear!