London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
29/11/2012 at 14:10

Friday 21st December is the shortest day-in three weeks-I would forget about greenhouse snoozes for a while

Postman has just delivered an envelope containing a calendar, some gift labels, gift stickers for pressies, envelope labels,4 Christmas cards ,bookmark a button and a pen from Battersea Dogs Home-didn't ask for it and you are supposed to send a donation.

Seems an expensive marketing operation

29/11/2012 at 14:14
sotongeoff wrote (see)

... tootsies are cold ....

No problem.

Simples....

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/16105.jpg?width=297&height=350&mode=max

29/11/2012 at 14:18

I tend to put everything back into their envelope, minus any financial bits which are shredded, & send it back! Cruel yes, but there is junk & junk.

Anybody with aged parents beware, they believe all sorts & sign up for everything......

My greenhouse is 'the tip' dumping ground at the mo- stops OH trying to resue things. I do actually need to do the sweep out & Jeys fluid clean up, but am waiting for longer days. You watch me frantically doing it at the beginning of March...... J.

29/11/2012 at 14:20

Just put a fleece bag on my convuvulus cneorum. Now I have done it wish i had bought more. Have been in greenhouse, a vent opened itself so warmish in there and with OH help tied newspaper round the olive pots, fleecing the tops. Also loosely fleeced bay tree in greenhouse. 

I think next year will get some to go around olives. last year I didn't cover pots but if, as they say, will be colder newspaper will have to do

OH went to buy firelighters off his list this morning. He said there were spaces for 4 sorts but no lighters. We have just about enough to last a week, Then will have to resort to paper spills I guess.

Really a sign of times - not only have they sold out of firelighters because it is getting colder, they have sold out of firelighters because people are using wood as an alternative heat source because energy is so expensive.

Definately chillng again now. tea then get washing in.

My mother used to sign up because she said they know who I am because they have my name on the letter. When I took over her affairs it took me ages to sort out what she was paying for and stopping the debits. Yes Jo you are right, vulnerable folk beware.

29/11/2012 at 14:21

That seems like a grand Idea Georg-will try it later perhaps-not sure about the sleeping on top of the kennel though

Bjay wrote (see)

I think next year will get some to go around olives.

Olive's what?

Where is Becks?

29/11/2012 at 14:36
Bjay wrote (see)

OH went to buy firelighters off his list this morning.... but no lighters. We have just about enough to last a week,

You need an electic firelighter (as recommended previously as an essential pressie this Christmas)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaIG3fq-M3M

Alternatively, I think a paint stripper (blower) might do the trick.

29/11/2012 at 14:36

Afternoon all! Geoff, you must be sycik! (yes, I know it's not spelt like that)

Been out and about on my travels, picking up more ebay bargains. Only 3 more to get tomorrow, and my ebay hunting for Jess is done.

Gary, do you just 'sit' in the greenhouse, and that's it? I have a picture in my head which is quite sad!

Hope everyone is well.

29/11/2012 at 14:42

Of course I don't waste my time in the greenhouse just dreaming.

I take a cup of tea, and my physics books, notepad and pencil. So I can wriite down all the innovative ideas I have there.

I think an electric fire lighter, or paintstripper, could also be used for warming tootsies.

29/11/2012 at 14:46

No thaks Geoff, think I'll stick to paper if we still have no lighters. Oh says we have somesmall BarBQ lighters if desperate.

Ho Becks . Just bought a brilliant book for my 3 year old gt, neice - 'Father Christmas wants a wee'. It will keep her amused for hours!!

Well done for sourcing all Jess stuff. Just chocolate to go??

Oh yes - something to warm tootsies please.

29/11/2012 at 14:48

Hmm, still not getting it. Still have a picture of a Mr Bean like person, just sitting there, on a chair in the middle, looking all around for mischief.

29/11/2012 at 14:48

Ha ha ha, yeah Bjay. Can't forget the chocolate.

29/11/2012 at 14:58

Taken in the Summer...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/16107.jpg?width=250&height=350&mode=max

29/11/2012 at 15:04

Put some clothes on Gary

29/11/2012 at 15:20

Seriously- dont you grow any plants in there Gary? Just the pelargonium? J.

29/11/2012 at 15:21

I've got through a whole toilet rolll today, just blowing my nose!

29/11/2012 at 15:24

Was it green coloured?

29/11/2012 at 15:27

I basically use my greenhouse just for raising seedlings, starting around mid-February. So in high Summer it's virtually empty. Those red things in the photo are actually strawberries, in a tall strawberry pot at the right.

29/11/2012 at 15:31

Yes, very green. And gloopy.

I clocked the strawberries! Something to munch when you're sitting there, planning to conquer the world, but doing naff all!

29/11/2012 at 15:34

Absolutely, my strawberries never reach a plate.

29/11/2012 at 15:38

I imagine Gary writing some masterpiece of literature in there-likeTrotsky, Lenin,Hitler. Roald Dahl,Enid Blyton......................