London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
05/12/2012 at 22:51
Hello, sorry I'm late, been out with the girls this evening. Went to a nice Italian restaurant, but I think they had forgotten to put the heating on.

Missed all the comps today, my guesses were wrong anyway.

Inka, sorry to hear your sad news, it's hard when friends are terminally ill.

Glyn
05/12/2012 at 22:57
Where's the weather forecast gone?
06/12/2012 at 05:08

Well, my friend Zona is a tough old bird--she was told she probably had pancreatic cancer, but was going to have to wait for tests--she drove herself to the hospital emergency ward[after taking the ferry to Victoria]--and sat there all day waiting for a cat scan. Turns out she doesn't have cancer at all--a blocked bile duct! So she has been admitted, and is waiting for surgery!!!!!!Wonderful news!!!Well, better than a death sentence!

06/12/2012 at 05:36

Oh Inka - that is brilliant news  

Pam LL x

06/12/2012 at 06:40

Morning festive forkers,

It's still dark here this morning, so have not yet fed the birds, nor been outside.

Some interesting programs on telly last night. I watched the Engineering program, which turned out to include a section about growing tomatoes. They showed the 'Salad Bowl of Europe', a great complex of huge greenhouses in Spain...

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/16391.jpg?width=350

The plants are grown hydroponically, and the medium the roots are in is loft insulation (I think that's what they said)...

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/16392.jpg?width=350

And these huge greenhouses cover a huge area. This is the view from the sky...

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/16393.jpg?width=350

25% of all that produce goes to the UK.

Then I watched the program about cyclists. Noted one cyclist who thought he was Batman, and then said 'then I realised I was human'.

Also picked up a new acronym 'MAMILS', which means 'Middle-Aged-Men-In-Lycra-from-Southampton'.

06/12/2012 at 06:55

Morning kids

Have entered the site's competition-more tickets to Harrogate-is that oop North??-will I need a visa and passport if I win?

The weather forecast seems to have gone to the top again-if the Christmas smileys don't appear today will give Daniel a gentle reminder later.

Today's advent calender choc clue is-"is it snowing darling?"

Woke up in a daze this morning in a panic-thought it was Friday and had forgotten to go out last night-wot is that all about??

There seems to be a heavy frost-have to walk to the end of the garden in a minute-if I don't come back it means I tripped over a huge vegetable and got knocked out-never fear I will be found later -frozen to the marrow

06/12/2012 at 07:00
an elf is not just for christmas wrote (see)

...-frozen to the marrow

Nice to have marrows as late as this.

Have just noticed that Bonnie Davies is pictured in yesterday's Maidenhead Advertiser (not sure if she writes a regular feature for the paper)...

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/Lifestyle/Homes-and-Gardens/Gardening-Blog/Getting-ready-for-Hampton-Court-Flower-Show-05122012.htm

My guess for today's Advent chocky... a snowman.

06/12/2012 at 07:24
Morning, just having a cuppa before I go to work, wind screen clearing required.

Geoff, Harrogate is a lovely town and the RHS garden is there too. It's a good show too. You should come up north for a visit. You'll have to learn the lingo first though.

Inkadog, what a great Christmas present.
06/12/2012 at 08:28

Morning forkers. just a quick good morning.  Off on travels again shortly.

Inka , Glad to hear about your friend, Thats great news .

Jo, Happy belated Birthday and hope you are feeling a little more positive today.

No snow here yet  Odd frost though - all car roofs full of frost but all windows clear .

06/12/2012 at 08:29

Oh forgot about choc. Reindeer

06/12/2012 at 08:51

Beautiful sunrise over the hills driving in, could see for miles and orange sky reflected in the reservoir. Lovely!

Geoff, hear a bit of Yorkshire on the way in, so lesson one just in case you win.

Ar' y'aw rate lad?

Choc - is snowman too obvious?

Glyn

06/12/2012 at 09:34

Bloody hell-I might be a MAMILS-is that a good or a bad thing??

Bonnie looks swell

Hi Jeannie The Ice Queen

Just done the swimming run-the car said minus 2C outside

Chickens running around trying to get warm I suppose

Thanks Glyn/Holly-is that asking if I am a boy rat?

All answers noted

06/12/2012 at 09:46

I'm still here  Bloke at daughters having a look at what needs doing in house. He says he does a lot of work for buyers so methinks it's a landlord that's bought the property.

Buyer said it was for her daughter. Porky, I think. Why don't these people tell the truth ? It wouldn't have mattered anyway.

It might to the neighbours though . depending on who moves in.

06/12/2012 at 09:49

Just read that back to myself, Haha. don't think their daughter will be called Porky .

But you never know.

06/12/2012 at 10:10

Fool

Have defrosted the bird bath and put some food out

Does anybody know of anything you can safely put in water to stop it freezing-the drinking cups in the chicken run freeze up at night-in the back of my mind is glycerin or something

Ideas??

06/12/2012 at 10:15

80% proof vodka freezes at -26.95C or -16.51F.

I assume that it's harmless to chickens, and temps shouldn't drop more than that.

06/12/2012 at 10:18

Brilliant news Inka!

Frozen to the marrow hahahahaha.  MAMILS :- D :- D :- D

Choccy guess - umbrella

Greetings Forkers All, hope your days turn out well.

06/12/2012 at 10:23

Geoff, I float a pingpong ball in the birds drinking water . That works for us . same principle as a garden pond .

Another odd question. Does anyone know if I can re-cycle the water out of hot water bottles ?

I am going to be a nosy Mum and just turn up.

06/12/2012 at 10:26

Morning all forkers.

Geoff,  Harrogate in the spring is really beautiful and very select.It's got lovely hotels, good shops and of course Betty's famous tea rooms. You would feel right at home. Let's hope you win the vouchers then you can see for yourself, I'm sure Mrs Geoff would love it.

Got a dental appointment this morning, so have to venture into town. Christmas Market starts this afters, so it will be chaos. Hope to finish Christmas shopping, well that's the plan, how far I get is another matter.

Inka~~~~~ So pleased your friend has a lesser problem, though it won't be pleasant at her age to have anything done. She sounds a fiesty old bird( meant in the nicest possible way ) Best wishes to her anyway

Must away and get ready for trip, not only unpleasant, but costly

Geoff, don't know of anything for the bird water that wouldn't harm them. soz.

Chris

06/12/2012 at 10:27

Why empty a hot water bottle at all.

Can't you just put the whole thing in the microwave and reheat.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000TAP5ZG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1