London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
02/01/2013 at 16:36

Border Collie was sick too this morning, but it was a greaseball I put out for the birds!

Geoff, France is better than Spain. I've been to Valencia and Costa Brava, C Blanca and C del Sol. Too hot in summer, garden would burn up, OK for holidays. Went once in January to look at holiday homes, there was a howling gale and it was cold. Do you speak Spanish? Hard moving to any country when you don't speak the lingo. If anyone would like to see some photos of my neck of the woods they are in the thread blue flowers by Verdun, because I couldn't manage to send a photobucket album to someone called ThaiGer in Thailand who sent some super photos. Now that's somewhere that looks beautiful, green and no winters.

02/01/2013 at 16:37

I still think England is the prettiest, despite or because of the weather.

02/01/2013 at 16:38

Jo4eyes and lovetogarden, miserable day here, too. Fortunately didn't need to go out in it for once but tomorrow I do need to venture forth....hopefully a bit better by then!

As I have a newish garden which needs planning at least with my laptop downstairs (in the warm) I can gaze out and get ideas despite the weather! I am wondering if I should actually make a plan of the present layout and take it from there. Any ideas peeps?

02/01/2013 at 16:41

Have been watching another Christmas film -Fred Claus this time

I have no real ties here Chris--like warm weather,always liked Spain-it is going to be a leap of faith-I know life is different when not on holiday-but will take the plunge so to speak

Sasha -lovely avatar-will get used to the name-you have done well today

02/01/2013 at 16:43

Liz -have seen you country residence by the river-love the turrets

02/01/2013 at 16:46

I'd write down a 'wish list'of what you'd really like to have Girasole. Then be sensible, , bearing in mind your budget, time & strength to do things & redo it! Remember it doesnt all have to be done at one go! Unless you want to, can afford it that is....

Always buy small plants & never ignore the sale section at GCs. They tend to sell off all sorts once it's finished flowering but it's still a perfectly good plant, often with good propagation oportunities!

If you're good on a pc then draw to scale your plot, or do on paper. Note the aspect, shade areas, soil conditions/type & off you go! All the things I didnt do when I first started.... J.

02/01/2013 at 16:54

How long have you had your present garden Girasole? I'm known on the forum as Chris, nice to have you with us.

If this is your first year I would leave it until Spring, and see what you have to work with. You might have all sorts of treasures hiding, just waiting to emerge, or is this a new build garden, a blank canvass?.

No planing went into our garden, it has evolved over many years, changing as the family grew and needs altered. If I was going to develope a new garden I would sit down and draw a plan, consult books, and go from there, just see what works for you and your needs. Best of luck .

Chris.

02/01/2013 at 16:54

Geoff, is that Liz's home? I have just been looking at her photos, too.

Also, many thanks for the compliment - don't get many of those nowadays 

I have even managed with a considerable amount of umming and arring to scan a photo for a friend and send it to him!

Jo, am sitting her chuckling to myself but I do agree with your advice so many thanks for that.

The photo I scanned was this friend dressed as a sheik or shake as I had a big rock and role party a while a ago. His reply was 'are you sure it isn't Lawrence of Arabia' and I replied 'but he is deaded I think'. That was what the Goons used to say wasn't it?

02/01/2013 at 16:57
Or Girasole, you can do what I do/have done. Buy anything that catches your eye, plant and pray! It's worked for me.
02/01/2013 at 16:58

No Sasha-don't think it is Liz's home -if only

I have never planned a garden on paper yet-it just happens

02/01/2013 at 16:59

Chris, I moved in a year ago last October (ie 2011!).....but had a lot of clearing away of junk to be done...shed dismantled and repositioned.....friends and relations staying....furniture to sell as much smaller house etc. Don't get me wrong I am very happy here but it has all taken a lot of time and energy and no help from my two sons to boot! Saying that I have learnt not to expect anything any more and then one isn't disappointed 

02/01/2013 at 17:02

Geoff, have just looked at Liz's profile (hope she doesn't mind) and yes she lives in the Dordogne but the hoot is that her neighbourhood is Tower Hamlets (London) How on earth has that happened?

02/01/2013 at 17:03

Geoff.

Go for it, I wish you all the luck in the world. Hope the house sells quickly, I'm just not that brave. I read in the paper the best time to sell is early spring through till June, so you are doing it at the right time, you can always send your pearls of wisdom from Spain

I'm sat here with OH and cat on sofa, not sure who is snoring the loudest.

Chris.

02/01/2013 at 17:07

Sasha-anybody who registers on the site from outside the UK-the default setting is Tower Hamlets-that is why it is good to add details as Liz has done

Those that don't are often the strolling trolls

Chris -you will not get rid of me that easily

02/01/2013 at 17:08

Somewhat off thread but as I have treated myself to a subscription of GW this year when do I get the first one? Am waiting patiently or impatiently actually 

Wow, lots of news and excitement here today! I can't offer anything exciting like moving abroad, starting new garden or learning fab things on the PC but hearty congrats and best of luck to all the endeavours.

Christmas is nearly finished, have just taken down all the cars and lights - just the tiny tree to go. I may keep that out until 12th night, it's not taking up much room.

Sorry-forgot to welcome Rambling Rose-so welcome

02/01/2013 at 17:09

Well done FFF. You have been a busy bee 

02/01/2013 at 17:10

Sasha, perhaps you should have been Impatiens, then
Though, I think that's taken. Lizzie?

02/01/2013 at 17:12

FFF, it was enough of an acheivement to manage Girasole and the avatar