London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
11/01/2013 at 18:53

On local news a farmer has applied to pull up 7 miles of native hedgerow so that he can grow fodder for one of these super dairy farms. He says the hedgrow is not a wildlife route, the ancient oak trees are not for wild life etc. Did you see it Gary? I've probably got some facts wrong. What is everyone opinion? Incidently he hasn't planning paermission for the super farm

11/01/2013 at 18:54

Don't matter what it is! I ain't getting in it!!!!  Goodight guy's! 

11/01/2013 at 19:21

I wonder if the oaks had preservations order? How could the hedgerows not be used by wildllife? Firing squad at dawn? Anyone fancy some guerilla hedge planting?

11/01/2013 at 19:23

Thankyou so much for your kind wishes

Pam LLxx

11/01/2013 at 19:24

Bjay -will not say too much-but farmers have to make a living-again two sides to every story-what seems bad on the surface might not be

11/01/2013 at 19:32

I know that Geoff, but the feeling seemed to be that it was going a bit too far. No surveys on wildlife etc undertaken. Will just wait and see, but having seen other farming stuff every thing has to move on, not sure about amount of ancient hedgerow going though.

Just had dinner witha small glass wine, then a thorntons chocolate and a small belgian chocolate biscuit for afters  still i have worked hard in garden today!
11/01/2013 at 19:41

Back again. Waiting on mugs being empty then can set dishwasher going.

Inka- Jeys Fluid is a very strong disinfectant I suppose. You do need to dilute it to use as a 'wash' for cleaning such as inside greenhouses. I must admit to just adding a 'slosh' to a bucket of water, but always make sure am wearing thick rubber gloves, with no holes! I use a brush that you can fix to a hose, for car washing, for the majority of glass in the greenhouse & a small long handled brush to reach up for the roof panels- some of which are flimsy to say the least!

Local forecast says some rain tonight- yay, last rinse off should get done for me.

Geoff, I appreciate the farmer needs to make a living, but to deliberately destroy a, probably, very old hedge, which of course would be a haven for all sorts of wildlife is a no-no in my book. As for the lack of planning permission....... J.

11/01/2013 at 19:42

I have just eaten 4 chocolate biscuits

Pam LL x

11/01/2013 at 19:51

There's 1 solitary cheese straw just sat on the breakfast bar.....I darent! J.

11/01/2013 at 20:06

In my experience wildlife survives- it move on-finds other habitats-and I have seen the M3 extension and the A34 around Newbury-people need to eat, make a living, farmer provides work-sorry but that is the way I see it

The homes we all live in were all fields once -things had to be displaced-it is just progress-big business is just not all bad-and it annoys me they they are often portrayed as such.

End of my sermon

11/01/2013 at 20:26

Thanks for the goggle tip, Geoff. Unfortunately I don't have a red anything - perhaps cos I'm on IE and you're on Firefox. It does say Google uk in the middle of the screen but it doesn't stop a certain American-ness.

11/01/2013 at 20:28

It wouldn't do if we all thought the same Geoff, there would be no discussion or compromise.

11/01/2013 at 22:25

OK, Geoff. I have realised that the red web thing does not appear until I actually put in a search   I've done it now  thank you  

11/01/2013 at 22:34

11/01/2013 at 22:56

Thanks for the goggle tip, Geoff. Unfortunately I don't have a red anything - perhaps cos I'm on IE and you're on Firefox. It does say Google uk in the middle of the screen but it doesn't stop a certain American-ness.

11/01/2013 at 23:10

What about the cows in the super dairy farm? Has anyone thought of them? I used to have Jersey cows. They were much happier outside, they even played and frisked a bit in a stiff cow-like way, but I've seen on TV that the cows in these new super dairies never go outside or see a blade of grass. The farmers say they are content because they are placid and don't make a fuss and they make a lot of milk. What else have they got to do? A cow goes all resigned in that situation, they haven't much choice.

Don't tell me off, Geoff. Farmers made livings before super dairy farms and it's only the rich ones who can afford them anyway.

12/01/2013 at 06:44

Good Morning Everyone

Pam LL x

12/01/2013 at 07:02

-------and good night, everyone. Hope you have a good day.

12/01/2013 at 07:44

Good morning Pam and goodnight,Inka.

Hope everyone is okay.

My mission today is to clean out the greenhouse. Jo has made me feel guilty. I found a dead rat in the waterbutt. I thought it was mice that dug up my tulip bulbs but I suppose rats would too.

I've got lots of packets of opened seeds so I'm going to try one or two in a heated propagator to see if they are still viable before I buy any more.

I hope Geoff's speedos are safely out of sight of the people coming to view his house.

Catch up with you all later. Enjoy your day.

12/01/2013 at 07:48

Good morning folks 

H@@sew@rk, food shopping, Ir@ning etc today - oh, and walking around the garden looking at it, and putting my new forcing pot over the rhubarb - and I need to look through my stash of seeds and do some planning