London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
12/01/2013 at 08:30

Morning forkers,

No frost here last night, but it's due.

I hope Geoff got on well with his prospective house-buyers yesterday (I didn't notice any feedback from him - good or otherwise).

On the grubbing up hedgerows controversy, I'm very pro-wildlife, and have strong views on the subject.

But can I simply quote from Jesus: Physician heal thyself. A lot of people who want to put the world right, are very often themselves guilty of the things they protest about.

Many urban gardeners who protest about farmers grubbing up hedgerows, have tidy gardens. They leave little space for wildlife. At least a farmer has a good reason - he's trying to grow food. But an urban gardener with a shaved lawn and tidy border has absolutely no excuse.

It's very difficult to change the minds of other people, but gardeners can always change themselves and their practices, if they want to.

End of sermon (from Jesus).

Gardening telly alert - Diarmuid Gavin is on TV tonight. Sources tell me that he won't have many clothes on. I did catch a bit of this program last Saturday. (A close-up of Jenny Faulkner's backside as she climber a ladder). I guess some ladies might enjoy tonight's show.

12/01/2013 at 08:35

Morning, Pam and Dove.

Just handing in my sicknote. Felt a bit under the weather yesterday as I am due my injection and was grouchy all day.Still got a week to wait so may ring docs and see if I can have it a bit earlier.

Is today the day of the viewing, Geoff ? I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well.

Fed up hearing about this weather that's supposed to be coming in. Everyone I speak to seems to have gone into panic mode. The supermarket shelves will be emptied soon.

Oh well, back to it. Didn't do anything yesterday so catch up today.

Have a good day.folks and Pam LL . nice to see you back.

12/01/2013 at 08:42

Getting my days mixed up. With my going shopping to Homebase yesterday, I was thinking yesterday was Saturday, and Geoff's viewing day. I hope things go well for him today.

12/01/2013 at 08:53

Sorry you're feeling poorly Jean.  Flippin' cold here - bright sunshine and sharp frost.  I just got the forcing pot out of the car boot and installed it over the rhubarb - I crunched over the frosted lawn  that won't do it any good, but it's a lawn for doing things on, not for looking at 

Will go to the farm shop in a bit and get food for the weekend - better make a list 

12/01/2013 at 10:02
Morning all, got up tp catch up with some work. The sun has just come out, clear sky, no snow but very windy. No real plans for today, all the shopping done. We have been trying to clear the junk from the spare bedroom, following advice to do it bit by bit, so might do a bit.

Hope poorly forkers are all feeling better now.

Catch you later, have a good day all.
Glynis
12/01/2013 at 10:06

Hello peeps

It has been miserable-heavy rain in the night-a power cut at some point-so all clocks etc. had to be reset

Glad to see all absentees back in the fold

One of the viewers has dropped out so that leaves the one for this afternoon

Watched all forecasts -it is still rather vague which proves saying exactly when and where snow will fall in this country is so unpredictable-I think with some certainty we can say it will be blooming cold-and thermals will be needed-not speedos

12/01/2013 at 10:27

Morning all. Dull and wet here, what a difference from yesterday.

I'm grouchy too, though not illness just bloomin' dog who woke me up four times in the night. On one occasion, going into the kitchen in the dark, I fell over and whacked my knee another time he decided he needed to go outside, did so and came back in and put his wet muddy paws on my leg - soggy jim jams .

Weird thing with my posts again. My  second one to Geoff last night, saying that I had managed to find the red web thing he mentioned, has disappeared overnight and been replaced with a duplicate of my first post on the subject

Gary, excellent post re gardeners

12/01/2013 at 10:31

Your message is still there Flo-your repeat came later

A visit to the opticians might be called for

I keep sneezing

12/01/2013 at 10:32

Morning lovelies!

Todays mission is to sort out the junk room/2nd bedroom. So much paperwork to go through from years ago. and other useless crap.

Glad I haven't got to do the walking to nursery bit for 2 days.

Geoff, hope your viewing goes terrible!! If we're stuck here with the british weather and goings on, so are you! You're one of us, mucker!!

12/01/2013 at 10:41

Geoff and Becks.

12/01/2013 at 10:46

I want to be here -it is 17C and sunny

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2509954

12/01/2013 at 10:53

No, Becks, if he goes think of all the free hols we can have.

I'm with Gary on the wildlife and hedges issue. I know farmers have to make a living and some are really struggling, but they can get grants to preserve sites for wildlife and as for keeping cows instead in huge sheds, it's as horrendous as keeping battery hens.

As Gary says, our gardens are really important for wildlife. I had a bumble bee feeding on winter flowering honeysuckle two days ago . I doubt it would have found any flowers in the wild this time of year. I hope the bee has gone safely back into hibernation or it's going to get a shock next week.

12/01/2013 at 11:07

Pam! I'm jealous really, the lucky sod. Geoff knows I was only joking. I hope.

12/01/2013 at 11:22

Geoff do you still have some  MIL ashes in the house? That would put me off buying a place

Cold and grey here I will be sorting seeds then off to get my hair cut. If it snows I want proper school closed snow not struggle to work snow.

12/01/2013 at 11:28
Our forecast says snow on Monday now, I have to drive to Worcester after teaching on Monday. Haven't been out yet but it looks really cold.
12/01/2013 at 11:31

Just remember, these weather 'experts' promised us an indian summer late last year, but that never happened. Hopefully, they'll be wrong about our British winter as well!

12/01/2013 at 11:38

There are dozens of live webcams showing exactly what it's like in Valencia right now.

http://www.meteosurfcanarias.com/webcams/valencia/
http://en.comunitatvalenciana.com/webcams-of-land-of-valencia/2?k=5

I looked at a couple. The beaches seem fairly quiet, though the weather does look nice. I'm surprised more Brits don't go there, just to spend the Winter. It's a lot nicer than here.

Though watching hot babes in bikinis and less, playing beach volleyball all day, might get a bit tedious.

12/01/2013 at 11:40

Kate-nice to see you - and all fellow workers-will pray for massive disruption-might need a hand gettiing up off the floor though-so if you wouldn't mind helping.................

12/01/2013 at 11:54
Lyon Greene wrote (see)

There are dozens of live webcams showing exactly what it's like in Valencia right now.

http://www.meteosurfcanarias.com/webcams/valencia/
http://en.comunitatvalenciana.com/webcams-of-land-of-valencia/2?k=5

I looked at a couple. The beaches seem fairly quiet, though the weather does look nice. I'm surprised more Brits don't go there, just to spend the Winter. It's a lot nicer than here.

Though watching hot babes in bikinis and less, playing beach volleyball all day, might get a bit tedious.

I can live with that-could have an early morning stroll then back home for an afternoon siesta after a dip in the pool-

12/01/2013 at 12:11

Afternoon all

been catching up on writing Christma letters. Trying to find out if one of M buddies is still on this earth. So far house has not been sold nor on market, but there is no telephone no. Any suggestions?

Hope your viewing goes OK Geoff. 1st one is always harder I think, then you get the hang of what to say. Why do I get the cyber vibes though that you would know what to say

Sorry to hear some are feeling under the weather again.

Here it is dull, murky, lights on sort of day, and cold

Well put Gary about immaculate gardens etc. I'm for keeping nature.