London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
19/01/2013 at 15:06

Looks alright to me-but I still have half of the Christmas cake to go-so more for the rest of you.

I'm afraid Jean in those countries they have the gear to cope with snow because they are guaranteed it-at most we usually get 48 hours of upset-not worth setting up a whole new Govt dept for-in a few days all this will be forgotten and we shall lurch onto the next crisis

19/01/2013 at 15:06

I used to love the lemon curd ones . My Nan used to make her own . Jam is something I never buy any more as no-one seems to eat it. Had to throw the last jar out as it had aquired a fur coat.

19/01/2013 at 15:09

Cake looks good Becks, texture doesn't look too heavy, looks quite bubbly Well Done

19/01/2013 at 15:13

I agree with what you are saying Geoff but surely a bit more grit wouldn't go amiss ? A bloke near us works for the council and asked if they would grit his road and was told it wasn't a priority. No-one could move so he ended doing it himself.

Some of us here have grit bins put in by same said council and they've not been filled for years. If you ring up, all you get told is that it's hand.

No good in hand - we need it on the roads !

19/01/2013 at 15:19
Jean you have reminded me I have some lemon curd in the cupboard.
Pam LL, how do you do the apple cake? The farm shop used to sell one that was apple and apricot, but they stopped making it for some reason, it was yummy.

Have been writing my assignment for HK, which took me ages. Mind you watching the week's Doctors at the same time though. Going out shortly to take out the peanuts.
19/01/2013 at 15:20

All about,money, personnel and priorities Jean-we never get gritted because we are a side road and cul-de sac.

You get what you pay for- and people complain about paying that.

19/01/2013 at 15:21

Glyn -why are you going to HK-is it a work thing then?- do tell more

19/01/2013 at 15:26

TRying to choose seeds, already have most but am searching for a pepper seed. They are very small, red and very sweet. You can eat them whole and are delish stuffed with cream cheese. DT Brown have orange ones but I was wondering if anyone has come across these when scouring seed catalogues?

An igloo is being constructed on the green. Kids are shovelling up snow onto sledges and taking it to one of the dad's who is then building.  up about 18 ins now 

19/01/2013 at 15:28

Your cake looks good Becks  I make jam tarts if I have any pastry left when I am making a pie

The apple cake is just a made up recipe - just a normal cake mix but with some ground almonds a few drops of almond essence and chopped up cox's apples added It smells lovely so I am looking forward to trying it

Pam LL x

19/01/2013 at 15:36

Hope this is wrong.

Roads gridlocked, airports closed and more snow forecast for next week

19/01/2013 at 15:38

???. That was supposed to be a link.

19/01/2013 at 15:42
Rosa carriola wrote (see)

TRying to choose seeds, already have most but am searching for a pepper seed. They are very small, red and very sweet. You can eat them whole and are delish stuffed with cream cheese. DT Brown have orange ones but I was wondering if anyone has come across these when scouring seed catalogues?

An igloo is being constructed on the green. Kids are shovelling up snow onto sledges and taking it to one of the dad's who is then building.  up about 18 ins now 

There are a couple of small peppers here - might not be the ones you are after but thought I would put the link anyway

http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/view_peppers?page=3

Pam LLx

19/01/2013 at 15:52

Do you cook the apples before you put them in Pam? Or just Raw?

19/01/2013 at 15:52

ive spent a lovly afternoon bird watching looks like most peaple have been busy thow all the talk of baking making me hungry

19/01/2013 at 15:57

I put them in raw Becks - just chopped into pieces- about 1/2 ". I cooked the cake/pudding in an oval baking dish

Pam LL x 

19/01/2013 at 16:07

I haven't got a pudding but think there's some ice-cream lurking about in the freezer and we have tinned fruit.

That sounds lovely, Pam. I made an Eve's pudding once but it didn't turn out that well.

Hello Darren  I've fed the birds twice today and have been watching the longtails. Do you get a good variety ? We had a pair of nuthatches once but haven't seen them for a while.

19/01/2013 at 16:07
Looking good Beck's!

Beats the "Toad in the Hole" ; )
19/01/2013 at 16:30

Dean! So Cheeky. But True! The scones are in at the moment. May have a bigger disaster yet!

Might give that one a go then Pam.

19/01/2013 at 16:47

I'm going to do an applecake tomorrow as well Pam. My Mum's recipe & always is definitely flat, but then it uses plain fklour if my memory correct. Oven will be on for a veggie cottage pie, so makes sense to do cake as well which doubles as pud with custard/cream/icecream.

There you are Becks, nowt wrong with that sponge- you did use SR flour & baking powder didnt you?

Am about to get very cross with someone around here. I've been busy upstairs & ended up listening to the very good afternoon play on radio. Came down & said could I have tv on? Someone sprawled across sofa 'working'. She's just had a right go at me coz am on here & not watching the TV! Next thing she'll be asking about tea......fume, fume.... J.

19/01/2013 at 16:50

no jo, just the SR Flour. I don't buy baking powder.