London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
23/01/2013 at 12:22

Hello forkers.  We've had more snow here but it's melting quickly as its not so cold.  Was supposed to be in school today but got a text at 7.00 am to say school was closed - it's not so much fun having a day off when you don't get paid and don't work anyway

One advantage of getting older is you don't care if you go out in silly hats . Warmth, not fashion, is your main priority!  Hope Geoff is wearing something sensible though .

Hope all goes well for Glyn on her long journey.

Gary - what time shall we all come round for dinner?

23/01/2013 at 12:29

Come round any time. There's already plenty in stock.

My efforts at snow clearance. I've got a couple more piles like this one. There's enough to make a good snowperson, but I can't be botthered...

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17845.jpg?width=350

This is the road. It's clear, but pavements are still snowy. As you can see, the dustmen haven't been this week....

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17846.jpg?width=350

23/01/2013 at 12:34

GW mag came today with a £12 off voucher for first online shop! any one want the voucher no?

I am boiling garlic for a slug potion! goodness knows if it works, OH just suggested  the fan is put on!!!!!

Still snowing here and definately not thawing. I'm wondering where the birds have gone today

I look totally silly in my wooly hat as well and i don't  care!! as you say Caz older you get less you care, just like my ears warm these days

OH started to move things around for the 'Do', 

23/01/2013 at 12:41

I dont do hats-have no wish to look any sillier

In the last 20 minutes he has snowed, sleeted, and rained

Having groceries delivered sounds very, very, middle class to me and a recent phenomenon-or a throwback to Granville?

23/01/2013 at 12:53

Talking about smells .... just been reading in the paper about a road tunnel in Norway which will be shut for several weeks after a 27-tonne truckload of sweet goat's milk cheese caught fire.  The flames engulfed the tunnel last week and gases from the melting load hindered firefighters. It took four days to put it out. 

23/01/2013 at 12:53

Afternoon all,

Just popping in to see if you all are ok. By the look of all the posts most of you are living in a white world too. Hopefully not as cold as here, - 12 C last night.

No online supermarket shopping available here, as far as I know. Well, not entirely true, but the one that does is also the most expensive one and is known to bully farmers into cheaper produce but raising their prices for the customer... Not something I can recommend really.

Keep warm and safe everyone  

23/01/2013 at 12:56

Oooh Flowerchild, that's cold - you'll need more than a woolly hat to keep you warm!

23/01/2013 at 13:07

Staying indoors as much as I can Caz, though the birds do need feeding in this kind of weather. I do feel sorry for my OH who has to go in and out his front loader every day. I also worry about him being safe on the road 'cos he has to drive through a part of Germany to get to work and they only clear the main roads, so very slippery.

23/01/2013 at 13:13

FC-what is a front loader?-excuse my ignorance-I guess not a washing machine-that would be silly

23/01/2013 at 13:22

Having groceries delivered is actually very old fashioned, and used to be the way that most shopping was done, at least in little villages not big enough to have their own shops. And a lot of people didn't have their own cars. In my parents' day everything was delivered by travelling tradesmen, who all came round in vans. There was a milkman, a baker, a fruiterers, a butcher, a coalman, general store deliveries, even an ironmonger, all in vans.

Then people started owning cars, and we had the rise of supermarkets.

23/01/2013 at 13:23

Lottie, yes a mid afternoon snack may well be on the cards. Slight problem, as will need to leave well before 3pm to avoid the school traffic locally & the on-going roadworks & schools near to hospital. Then will deliberately park in another depts' carpark, as always spaces- famous last words?- & have to walk the length of hospital to get to unit. Hmm, 2.30 departure I think. Daughter still to move her car & it's started to snow again.

Daughter is a walking disaster zone- almost, but not quite, coffee everywhere- & her house has pale carpets! Ours are old & coffee stains dont show. See dont clean carpets! J.

23/01/2013 at 13:25

Gary yes I remember the visiting various vans in the village when was little. Also remember when Fine Fare came to local town. J.

23/01/2013 at 13:28

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17847.jpg?width=330&height=350&mode=max

It would be, wouldn't  it Geoff?!!            Hope your getting the picture. That's what he does all day, every day  The good part is that he gets to see loads of wildlife, more than you would see in the woods on a walk.

23/01/2013 at 13:31

I would love to see him driving that down the autobahn

23/01/2013 at 13:32
Lyon Greene wrote (see)

In my parents' day everything was delivered by travelling tradesmen, who all came round in vans. There was a milkman, a baker, a fruiterers, a butcher, a coalman, general store deliveries, even an ironmonger, all in vans.

There was also the Paraffin Man, the Pop Man (who also sold bags of crisps with a blue paper twist of salt) and the cockle sellers.

23/01/2013 at 13:32

Latest forecast-more snow on Friday/Saturday -followed by rain

We had the egg man and the wool lady

23/01/2013 at 13:37

Oh the 'popman' for us was a couple of old spinster sisters, who sold Dandelion & Burdock from their farm door. 1p back on returned bottles. J.

23/01/2013 at 13:39

I've just seen the forecast- oh heck OH usually comes back on a friday. He's not going to be a happy bunny, since he didnt come back last w/end. Decisions to be made nearer the time I think. J.

23/01/2013 at 13:42

I hadn't thought of that but yes, when I was a little girl we used to have the milkman's van too and in some regions they still have the odd one. Most of the time they also sold other groceries. We did have quite a few shops but over the years most of them either gave up or the owners didn't have anyone to follow in their footsteps.

23/01/2013 at 13:44

Didn't we often get 1d or 2d back on bottles? We used tohave the insurance man every week (maybe monthly) don't really know and when we moved to Staffs there was a beer man who called next door. You can still have fishmen in vans.

WE think maybe there is a slight melt outside but GH is still covered though itis sliding down the roof a bit.