London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
30/01/2013 at 11:23

Morning Folks.

Sorry to hear about Deans Boxer, always sad to lose a pet.

Have been clearing out fitted wardrobe, emulsioning it and putting stuff back.Got loads for the charity shop, on my way there this afternoon. Why do we keep soooo much stuff

We have snowdrops, and I'm please to say my tulips planted in pots are just through the compost. I have ordered some piccolo tomato seeds, anyone tried them? I bought some to eat last week, they are lovely, very sweet, thought we would give them a try..

Congrats Flo, not easy to lose weight, especially at this time of year I lost 1lb last week, don't know how

Cheers.

ChrisX

30/01/2013 at 11:23

Charlotte-they are now in egg boxes chitting-that is "chitting"-the recommendations from the Potato Queen never came-I  fear she may have to abdicate

"A fuzzy head"-schoolboy smirk

30/01/2013 at 11:28

Oh Jo well done  the end is in sight then for now - I guess you'll have to have endless check ups and things.

Darren don't go on that leg even if it is feelng stronger.

Stlii have sun = WOW

30/01/2013 at 11:28

Who is the potato queen again?

30/01/2013 at 11:32

Lottie Potato Queen-well was

There will also come time when the charity shops will say" we canna take anymore Captain"

30/01/2013 at 11:38

Geoff, not this afternoon I hope, don't want to take it to the tip

Don't know what potatoes to grow this year, OH didn't keep the name of  the one we really liked a few years ago, so now we try a different one each year hoping we might get one we like. Any recommendations. We want a good all rounder, like Charlotte, Maris Bard.

30/01/2013 at 11:43

How many seed potatoes did you get for your £1.98?

30/01/2013 at 11:43

We used to get money for old clothes in the olden days

Went for Charlotte because most people on her said it was the best-that gives me loads of people to blame

Becks16-will do 3 or 4 big containers

30/01/2013 at 11:54

Cool. I asked at my local shop yesterday when they were having theirs in, and she said it won't be for a couple of months yet!

30/01/2013 at 11:56

If could get some to you sensibly then would

30/01/2013 at 11:59

Was looking at potaoes yesterday - still not sure what to grow this year - containers only

Looked at Maris Bard - is that OK. Have grown Anya as well but not seen any yet, any other suggestions anyone.

Last year I ordered from a catalogue and they were soo late arriving said I wouldn't do it again

30/01/2013 at 12:01

Are those the ones that lasted for Christmas Bjay?

30/01/2013 at 12:22

I like Charlotte, they always seem to do well and have a good flavour. I grew Rocket last year as well - they were ready very early, but the taste wasn't as good as Charlotte in my opinion. I'm also growing Maris Piper as my main crop, and trying Desiree (I like to experiment a bit). Not ready to relinquish my crown just yet! 

16 seed potatoes for £2 - bargain!

30/01/2013 at 12:23

Gosh it's really blowing a hooley out there. Washing keeps needing rescue!

Spotted a 2cnd self seeded poppy! Hmm & I thought I'd taken off the seed head pronto, obviously not.......

Daughter still waiting on her potatoes & bags to be sent/arrive. Time enough for up here.

Parkers GC didnt have any dahlia tubers in the boxes when I popped in on way back from Monday's hospital visit. Noticed that Morrisons already had theirs but not much choice, so shall wait for Parkers. J.

30/01/2013 at 12:26
Made it to garden centre.. 3 for 10 offers ...eeeek
30/01/2013 at 12:30

Becks, I'm getting mine from the bloke across the road who buys in bulk for lots of allotmenteers so gets them very cheap - how many do you need??

I've always fancied trying International Kidney (otherwise known as Jersey Royals) but haven't seen them at a reasonable price! Also, potatoes can taste different depending on the soil - so might not taste right!

Its worth bearing in mind that potatoes are not frost hardy so you don't want the shoots appearing above ground before frosts have passed, unless you can cover them. That's ok for a few plants but not for the 6 rows I have on the allotment! 

30/01/2013 at 12:30

Lottie- you can polish the crown-you are back on the throne

30/01/2013 at 12:36

Well, I don't know really Lottie. I think I got about 12 late last year, as I had them reduced to 50p to clear. Gotta take Jess to nursery now, but will work out how many when I get back.

30/01/2013 at 12:47

i shell be growing desiree and formost this year . i also found one called apache in tesco they have a red marbleing to the skin i shell try these in pots they will be somthing diffrent for show in sept

30/01/2013 at 13:07

Eek- the greenhouse roof panels are flipping like an envelope flap!! I just hope that the masking tape hold on!!! Why didnt I store all the pots away from the staging? Isnt safe to go into there at the mo, just will have to wait & see....... J.