London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
02/02/2013 at 11:49

Skippety Doo Dah what a lovely day, you can just smell spring. I have already been to the GC and stocked up on compost and vermiculite. A few plants fell into the basket too, I am going to have another go at a Dicentra and I had some lovely Eucomis last year so I have bought some more of them.

Off to the garden now

Is there any pizza left for lunch?

02/02/2013 at 11:53
I took a cutting from the dicentra when i bought it last year and is coming along nicely.
Can't beat a GC trip on a nice day, we are off to the coast for the afternoon. Have a good productive garden day all.
02/02/2013 at 11:54
Insomnia1973 wrote (see)

... I've got to try and fix my plastic greenhouse .. blown over and damaged in the winds...

You need to make sure it will be able to stand up to any gales in the future. We often get very windy weather in March.

02/02/2013 at 11:58

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/18128.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

Just popped out to take this photo. The snowdrops have spread really well. the wet summer must have suited them.

Jo, you won't know what to do with yourself when your daughter moves out. I bet you go over to her house and clean.

Ducks at the butchers! Were they still alive, Rosa?

02/02/2013 at 11:59

I'm resisting going to the GC for a bit yet. Am carrying around in purse a gift voucher & a list!

Must ring the one to check that their dahlias tubers have arrived before I trot down there. Did buy a chocolate cosmos tuber this morning, from supermarket, to start off for daughter to have on her sunny patio!

Finally family have got the message that I'd like an early lunch please, so I can go out to do what I need to do! They're making biscuits at the mo. Garlic mushroom butties for lunch! J.

02/02/2013 at 12:01

Ha ha Pam, she only was heard to say to OH that she already had a gardener who would also do the cleaning, ironing & cook the evening meal!!

She didnt like the rates I requested- highly inflated, but am not joking!! J.

02/02/2013 at 12:01
Looks like doggy is impressed with snowdrops too
02/02/2013 at 12:09

I was wondering exactly what doggie is doing, and hoping he wasn't about to scratch the ground just there with hind legs, as dogs do.

02/02/2013 at 12:12

Ducks on a pond opposite - typical village pond - they even have duck houses in the middle of the pool. Good butcher as well

Lovely snowdrops, hope mine clump up like that the one big clump I have the flower stems are very short. I take off some every year and plant elsewhere.

Washing on line blowing nicely.

Just checked and have more onion seedlings, never grown any sets or seeds before, Never thought I'd get excited by an onion either

02/02/2013 at 12:18

Ooh daughter just fed me with 2 pinwheel shortbread biscuits! Yummy! Magazine article possibly from '70s found with Mum's knitting patterns! J.

02/02/2013 at 12:24

Bjay, anything that germinates is exciting, the wonders of nature, love it. My OH is all ways over the moon when he digs his first root of potatoes of the season, be a while yet though

Lovely snowdrops Pam. I saw my first clump of wild  snowdrops this year growing in the hedgerow yesterday, we have got lots in the garden. It lifts the spirits, Spring can't be far away, can it?

ChrisX

02/02/2013 at 12:40

Hello all. Lots going on today it seems. I'm not going to be able to get out into the garden as I must spring clean my bedroom now that I can get the clothes back into the wardrobe.

Have already been to the tip, taken son no. 3 to work and found the hens have left me one egg.

I've got a peanut feeder in the garden and half the peanuts have gone but I've not seen anyone visiting it. Am wondering who the culprit could be!

02/02/2013 at 12:52
Lyon Greene wrote (see)
Insomnia1973 wrote (see)

... I've got to try and fix my plastic greenhouse .. blown over and damaged in the winds...

You need to make sure it will be able to stand up to any gales in the future. We often get very windy weather in March.

I've assembled it again, but it's useless. All the plastic has torn away from the zip parts. I zip it up, and there's still a huge gap at the front either side.  Think I'll look for something new, bit more durable. Do they do mini glass houses?

02/02/2013 at 13:11

Becks you may be able to get a replacement plastic cover- they are often sold at CG etc.

I spotted a relatively small- 4'x4' ish- metal famed, powder coated, polycarbonate grenhouse last year at a GC. If funds permit it would be a stronger option for you, give you more space too. Would still need firmly securing to a wall/concrete fence post though as they can also 'walk'.

Try e-bay/freecycle for any dismantled ones too. Snag then will need more assembly. J.

02/02/2013 at 13:15

Meant to say- you can get wooden plant houses, at a cost!! Still smallish, needs the wood treating otherwise it warps/rots all too soon & also firmly securing to a wall.

Off to put thermals on now & go do battle, along with daughter, with the slipped greenhouse roof panels. Then the shed awaits. J.

02/02/2013 at 13:23

Cheers jo!! Never even though about replacing the cover! Duh! The frame is ok. Can't do the ebay/freecycle bit yet, as no car to collect.

Can you remember the price of the one you spotted at the garden centre?

02/02/2013 at 13:28

Becks check this site out.

Fast and efficient as well when you can of coourse

http://www.norfolk-greenhouses.co.uk/

think it might be what you have described

Bjay

02/02/2013 at 13:31

These greenhouse covers might be typical...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spare-cover-for-Walk-in-Greenhouse/dp/B001D7Y8CU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&sr=8-11

Kingfisher is the name for B&Q.

38 customer reviews for this one. Gardman is a range of products commonly sold in GCs....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardman-Tier-Mini-Greenhouse-Cover/dp/B00080KPBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&sr=8-1

But you still need to make sure the whole thing is well secured.

02/02/2013 at 13:34

http://www.norfolk-greenhouses.co.uk/shop/buy-Plant-Houses.php

these may be more your pocket and size

02/02/2013 at 13:37

They were exactly what I was just looking at Bjay! Nice site, and price. Thankyou!

I'll have to have a look through Gary. Mine is a flat top, not that 'roof' shape, like those two.