London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
02/02/2013 at 13:43

afternoon all

had a great morning at garden asociation got my seed potatos orderd some more bean poles now a large coffe and more hotcross buns with leg up  happy days

02/02/2013 at 13:54

Coffee and muffin here - my waistline is ever expanding!

Grandad looks likely to come out of hospital soon - they are hoping to send him home next week. 

02/02/2013 at 13:57

I've just found mine Gary. Cheaper to buy a totally new one, than the cover alone.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/mini-greenhouses+propagation/wilko-greenhouse-tomato/invt/0273091/

Do like the look of those other more sturdy ones though. Oh, I hate making decisions.

Do like this one though.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/mini-greenhouses+propagation/wilko-walk-in-greenhouse-with-staging+pe-cover/invt/0260896/

02/02/2013 at 13:57

Becks have you not considered a cold frame, I have one of those plant houses it is OK but still blew over in the wind

Lottie- that sounds like good news.

Jo my GC had Dahlias in stock and Chocolate cosmos

02/02/2013 at 13:59

Kate, I'm just browsing through a few sites now. Coldframe definately an option.

02/02/2013 at 14:11

Becks if you have one with zips etc you could end upin same situation. Those I pointed you to do not have soft sides, or zips. I originally bought the tomato house manyyears ago, then I bought a soft one with zips - same problem you have. Although I now have a GH I bought a raisd bed off them last year, As I said fast and efficient service.

Have just been moving furniture back to it correct place, we moved it before Christmas and left it until M do. Now evrything is right and cosy again and Oscar has his settee he can have cuddles on back!!

have also sghifted last of leaves and started on bed that will have peas, beans and such like in ie clearing it , Found some beetroot growing

Cup of tea then back to garden 

02/02/2013 at 14:23

Hello forkers, hot day in HK, but I was working the afternoon and evening shift. Got a sore throat, had to let them go early. Glad you got some sun too.

Teaching all day tomorrow, then on the night flight home. Arrive back Monday am, hurray

Will catch up with you all then, enjoy your weekend.

Glyn

02/02/2013 at 14:28

HK Petal are you bringing us back souvenirs?

02/02/2013 at 14:56

Banana time!

OH & daughter are dismantling her futon. It's also going to the tip & I thought she was taking it with her...

OH came home demanding his camera tripod, or my Dad's which went to his tip in '11. Anyway we knew OH's old one was in 3rd bit of daughter's wardrobe, blocked in by the futon......can you see where this is going yet?

Becks that link re Norfolk G/H looks good- more solid than a plastic, but less expensive than something bigger. Add an inexpensive coldframe- or better still make your own:

a la Geoff H- Bricks to make a base, say 2or3 high. Old spare double glazing window/polycarbonate sheet on top & weighted down. Ok not nec the safest option with Jess around, but she's old enough now to learn mustnt touch. A coldframe is warmer than outside, but cooler than any greenhouse, so a useful extra.

Right, back to shed, which isnt prooving as bad as I thought/expected. J.

02/02/2013 at 15:02

Just come in, finished for the day so my back told me. Cleared leaves, tidied up few plants, threw away Chard that had gone off in snow and raked that bed over avoiding spinach which still picking from - probably go by next weekend as need to manure/enrich bed for peas and beans. 

Didn't dig up and re-plant the budlea buzz I have. Don't like it, but will help wildlife so will stick it in a sort of shrub border slowly planting up, or may give it away Hmmmm.

Filled council bin and not due for another week

Large mug of tea and then a bath - back later.

02/02/2013 at 15:09

No jo, I like that idea for a coldframe. Do-able, and Jess does understand not to touch.

I was looking at this.

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-buildings/greenhouses/growhouses___coldframes/B-and-Q-Cold-Frame-and-Mini-Greenhouse-10767607

But your way would be much better, and cheaper.

02/02/2013 at 15:14

Update- I got rid of my 2 remaining chard plants too earlier.

The wardrobe clear out has got to the 'ahh stage' ie daughter's bits of artwork, old school projects etc.

The wooden frame from the futon is being dismantled & will be kept. Too good to chuck. OH says will be easy to make daughter a slatted compost/leaf bin out of it. It's going to end up on empty greenhouse staging for the time being. Not sure any more room in the shed, but side of garge an option. My car back in there so shall investigate space next time car out.

Found daughter's, child size Arran jumper that my Mum knitted. Plus my cardi, which looks almost un-worn, probably coz I looked like Michellin man when wearing. Daughter now wearing it, brill on her, skinny so n so, & will be excellent for when she's cold in her house! J.

02/02/2013 at 15:17

That's not bad Becks, bit of both. Does have the venting facility with the lid. As well as the fixing spikes, I'd block it in place with several bricks! Come the winter use flat sheets of polystyrene around the inside to insulate it, plus a piece of fleece on top of plants inside & there you are. J.

02/02/2013 at 15:19

Why not do both? Get the inexpensive one then a bit of tip/skip scrounging for the GH version & gives you even more space! J.

02/02/2013 at 15:26

A cold frame is a good idea. It's a lot more stable. Also, being close to the ground it's actually holds heat better in cold weather.

I can remember Alys Folwer on GW making a cold frame that 'cost nothing'. She went round the skips of Birmingham, looking for a large piece of unbroken glass (if we believe that). Can't remember what she made the sides out of.

One problem about spending money on a small greenhouse, of any kind, is that your requirments might change in a year - you might want a bigger one or a more substantial.

The only real advantage of a multi-level greenhouse is that the levels effectively increase the amount of floor space you have, and you can also grow tall stuff - tomatoes (though they will grow outdoors).

02/02/2013 at 15:32

You have all been busy-I suppose a summary is too much too ask for?

I see we are spending Becks money-I hope she planted the money tree

The house viewing from yesterday report-they are very interested- more news on Tuesday

02/02/2013 at 15:40

Lots of talk of cold frames and clearing bedrooms on here. In our house an Arran jumper is known as a cauliflower jumper, for obvious reasons.

I'm pleased about Grandad, I really didn't think he'd ever come out to be honest. He's been having physio and been building up a bit of strength, and the doctor says there's actually nothing wrong with him apart from being very old. He did get a mild infection but that seems to have been sorted, I hope. 

Ok, break over, back to bedroom clearing. Got a big bag of stuff for charity, another for the loft and another for just rubbish. I also found a slice of (dry) toast - Alfie looks guilty....

02/02/2013 at 15:47

Geoff good news? would you consider renting in Spain.

Lottie, always blame the dog

Gary it is odd I never see these things in skips

02/02/2013 at 15:53
My, my! We have all been busy bee's today!

Tidied the back yard n little greenhouse! Dug some pots, tray,s n cell trays out of the garage in readiness, found the bags of vermiculite n pearlite and also stashed some bags of compost in there to warm slightly

Beck's! I like the B+Q coldframes! : )
02/02/2013 at 15:58

I have large pieces of glass!! .... Maybe too large! two table tops.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/18138.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

But, I do always save the glass out of unwanted pictures I am given...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/18139.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

Maybe I could adpat the little ones with the brick idea. I have bigger ones as well.