London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
11 messages
19/04/2013 at 13:47

Hi all

I was thinking it may be nice to have a Friday pictures thread, basically where we can all share some pics of the week's progress in the garden.  It's also an excuse for me to post some pics I took this week!! 

Not sure if anything similar has been done before, apologies if so, but I love looking at pics of other people's gardens and love sharing pics of mine 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22290.jpg?width=544&height=350&mode=max

My south-facing bed in front of the sheds has taken a bashing.  It used to be covered in Jasmine (literally about 2ft deep!) but I got rid of that last year and the rose and honeysuckle are coming through nicely.  The whole bed was buried for nearly two weeks under snow and then we've been stripping back the front of the shed so a job for this weekend is putting up some wires for the rose and honeysuckle.  I am cheered up every morning when I see my pansies who seem to have emerged from the snow with a determination to flower! 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22291.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

19/04/2013 at 13:48

Woops forgot to say about the first pic that it is my first ever Hellebore and I love him! 

19/04/2013 at 14:37

I like the sharing pics idea.

19/04/2013 at 14:53

...very nice..   do you keep the names of your plants at all?  I was wondering which rose and honeysuckle  you chose... and why you chose them.... always interesting to me...

..as it's a Friday, this was taken on a Friday last summer...Rose 'Bonica', not much scent but I don't grow it for that.. continuous flowering, lovely foliage... and trouble free... I find it to be one of my very best plants...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22294.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

19/04/2013 at 15:07

...something not right with the photos today...

19/04/2013 at 19:19
Ah Salino - glad you posted that. I thought it was just me and my poor IT skills. I don't have the 'tree' icon showing?
19/04/2013 at 19:24

Salino, I agree about Bonica - a superb little rose - I grew it in a garden I had some 30 years ago and it flowered and flowered and flowered - it's a lovely shade of pink (looks amazing in a vase with alchemilla mollis)   I bought another to plant in the bed by my office window at work and it's just as gorgeous - absolutely no trouble whatsoever and flowers all summer - a quick chop with the shears in late Feb and it's ready to go again   As you say, not the strongest scent in the world, but that's its only fault.  I recommend it again and again.

19/04/2013 at 19:50
Yes nice idea for a thread. I'm a lazy so and so but I'll try to,post occasionally some pics on a Friday.
So your hellebore is a "he" then Shropshire lass?
Can't grow roses down here so bit envious
19/04/2013 at 20:06

This is a lovely idea ShLass. I've managed to get a card reader at last for my camera and took a couple today of my new little Pasque flowers so I might try and put them on.

19/04/2013 at 20:20

Agree about Rosa Bonica 82...where does the number come from? 

21/04/2013 at 10:46

Salino....love the idea of posting from a better Friday!! I'm finding the anticipation very frustrating - everything is on the cusp and I want to race ahead!

Not sure what the rose and honeysuckle are.  We only moved in mid-summer last year and it look a few months for us to even get into the garden properly so missed it flowering.  It was also smothered by jasmine so this is it's first year running free!!  Will post some pics when it gets going

Most of my plants are a he....odd I suppose! Nothing botanical about the gender assignment, it's just my own quirk!  

email image
11 messages