Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Frog Spawn count

I've just been given this link to record your frog spawn sightings. Though ours has all hatched and areas of the pond are now a black mass its still worth doing!

http://www.freshwaterhabitats.org.uk/get-involved-2/big-spawn-count/

• MelspadMelspad Posts: 73

Clarington - Have just been on the site and recorded my sightings.  Hope lots of people follow suit.

• Doogie72Doogie72 Posts: 62

Have added my ponds details too.  image

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697
    You can add your sightings to Nature's Calendar too. http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk/
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Its that time of year again! I was woken from my slumbers last night by my partner wanting to know what the devil was going on in the garden: frog nookie everywhere! It was a literal watch where you step jobbie the whole pond was quivering.

By morning we already had 5 huge balls of frog spawn (some of which we have transferred to a floating basket to protect it from our fish).

Here's hoping I get plenty of slug eating friends survive to adulthood to join my army in the garden!

• Hi all, we have a large pond for goldfish (about 20 max, recurring heron problem) and wildlife with some deep bits and sloping/pebble bits, it's been in about 2.5 years now. Plants are maturing, lots of birds visit etc. But I don't get this frog-fest! (yet).

I'd love to have this abundance of frogs! I see one or two every now and again, but no spawn (I was in maintaining it at the weekend and saw 1 frog, no spawn). 

Can I ask, did it take a while to get the frogs in?

I think I'm doing all I can to attract them, I even added extra plant cover at one exit end and the biggest shady log pile you've ever seen to help them stay and move around the garden, but no joy yet.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

We made our pond around July 14 and there was one clump of spawn the following Spring, but I live in a very rural area.

This year we had the same spawn in the same place, but unfortunately it's been so cold I think some of it has died, it's gone milky so that's a sign. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Thanks David, I'm glad you've done that, I can take part now.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Thanks David. Its rather hard (near impossible) to do links from a mobile device.

Wildflowers: my pond was inhabited very quickly BUT my garden was packed with frogs anyway (despite no presence of a nearby pond). Sometimes you can make the most beautiful of gardens for them but they need to find their way there which can take some time.

HOWEVER: I'm sure I read that herons often transfer frog spawn and the likes on their legs so you never know image Almost Always a positive to things.

• Thanks Clarington, I knew there had be one positive thing somewhere about that pesky heron....!