London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
7 messages
22/01/2014 at 11:13
Morning all from erein Norfolk,wet and cold ,right Kates standing in for me and planting 5 trees today ish, 4 apples and a green gauge, weve selected a nice part of the lawn ,now can we plant similar to an orchard with the grass put back around the tree ,or do we need to give each tree soil around it to begin with until its settled in for a couple of years, ok how much room do they want between each other , were going to grow to about 12/18 feet high if we can ,that will look really good and the neighbours are all agreeing they will be good at that size and have put in there orders for apples and plums in 2016 hopefully,iv sorted pollination out so no probs there soil and seaweed good to go so hope iv not missed anything ,stakes are ready as well ,,ok good luck all
22/01/2014 at 13:16

Hi Alan - this http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/articles/fruit-tree-spacing-guide is a helpful guide to planting distances 

and

No, don't let the grass grow up to the trunk - I'd leave a circle a yard in diameter around them to mulch and feed (don't let mulch touch the bark).

Tell Kate she's doing a grand job and make her a 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36354.jpg?width=500&height=350&mode=max

when she's finished 

22/01/2014 at 13:38
OK matey i,ll tell her, she,s painting the new kitchen, and iv literally just took delivery of 2 apples from Reads there in a bucket having a drink , were planting tomorrow as weve got rain at present, ok 1 meter all around and mulch not touching, 10 feet spacing thats good no probs at all. a good bit of seaweed coming up onto the beech lately all very handy ,the peace lilies just love it . right many thanks AGAIN good luck with the slugs ?
Alan
24/01/2014 at 16:04
Hi Dove ,Kates just finished planting our 2 new apples as directed by the site foremen (me ) (through your advice) and look really good nicely surprised to find really good loamy light well draining light brown soil with a hint of sand,also all the rain we had only reached about 8 inches down then it was nicely damp ,Now how much water do you think per tree iv given them half a gallon so far ?? And did you read Bob the Gardener,s now a LEGEND ,he will probably start charging for services rendered soon ,i can just see it Monty and Bob the legend,
And as advised Kate gets a reward in the local tonight Vodka ,n,Coke n a pintobitta B lucky Alan
25/01/2014 at 10:23

Good free-draining sandy loam like wot we have here!   Apparently this area used to be cherry and plum orchards before it was built on - there's lots of Mirabelle-type fruits in the hedgerows come early autumn.

Oooh, if I'm not driving mine's a pint of Adnams!  OH will have Broadside!

Look what I saw the other day when visiting my Aged Ps

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36531.jpg?width=275&height=183&mode=max

OH wants to come with me next time!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I should think half a gallon per tree is about right given the weather we're having - it's when the buds begin to swell that they might need more if we get a dry spring - I mean, how much more rain can there be up there? 

25/01/2014 at 10:45
cheers matey no luck on the meat draw last night but beer and crowd was good even this time of year loads of holliday makers and 2 more nice people just bought a house who fitted in very well right im off by4now
25/01/2014 at 10:48
iv just noticed its ice cream i thought it was a beer sign wonder wot it tastes like ,hope its not the same price as a pint cu
email image
7 messages