London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
30/05/2013 at 22:35

John - it is all looking very impressive.  Love your ingenius way of creating the raised beds - we are planning on making some next year - will show OH this thread (he loves a bit of welding !!).

30/05/2013 at 23:03

Great looking garden John H. I love the curved sweep of the lawn. By the way, we've all done 1293 reviews (it's gone up). I queried this with GW webteam some weeks ago. Apparently it's some sort of 'glitch' on the site that they 'know about'. A bit like the 'Ooops' squashed tomato page. They know about that too and perhaps it will eventually be sorted. 

Thank you all the members who have recently offered support and encouragement recently: to Nutcutlet for reorientating my photos. Would you like a job? I'm not sure that it won't  happen again; to Chicky for admiring my wisteria and to Wintersong for thinking it's the result of pruning skills. And similarly, to Matty2 who I believe thought I had nurtured it????! Really the accolades should be to my dear wife who planted the wisteria over a decade ago and who would have loved to see the results of her vision for our garden.

I had to take over the guardianship of our garden last year and I'm very inexperienced in gardening - hence the many appeals for advice and implant identification. Thanks again everyone. 

30/05/2013 at 23:09

..beautifully laid out for ease of access, John...  these older semi's [1950's??] often have big gardens like that... used to live in one in Kent...

..it's a pity we cannot enlarge your photos as I wanted to zoom in... but never mind, it's an ongoing problem for many here...

30/05/2013 at 23:11

Birdy- I'm sure I can say on behalf of everyone - it's our pleasure x

And I hope we've all had a bit of fun together too 

30/05/2013 at 23:11
Busy-Lizzie wrote (see)

Hello, gardeningfantic. I have about an acre of garden, but it's hard to tell as it's all round the house and some is grass, shrubs and trees. But I have about 8 acres of rather poor grazing in paddocks - but nice because it's full of wild flowers - and a lot of wild woodland. Deer, wild boar, stone marten, red squirrel, badgers, foxes, hares, and European grey dormice live in the woods.

My first OH (died) had the pillars built when we moved here as we had similar when we lived in Kent with roses growing up them. 

...sounds wonderful, a real rural retreat... I think you live in France... I don't suppose you want to come back to England.. do you...?

30/05/2013 at 23:17

Tree peonies have finally flowered in my garden.  I have been anticipating them for ages and ages as the buds have been tantalisingingly close for ages! 

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z383/kt_j63/IMG_5839.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z383/kt_j63/IMG_5840.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z383/kt_j63/IMG_5841.jpg

30/05/2013 at 23:31

...super !

30/05/2013 at 23:45

John, your garden is looking really lovely, but I'm sure you can see that yourself! The reviews thing has been wrong for a few months now.

Birdy, my husband died 15 years ago, the first year I couldn't deal with the garden as he wasn't there to see it, then I changed my mind and started doing it for him too. I was still fairly young and have met another lovely man and we do it together.

Salino, yes, lovely though it is here, I did want to go back to England. It wasn't my choice to leave in the first place, I love England and the people. But my 4 children and 6 grandchildren are here. I wouldn't have been able to sell my house here anyway as, under French law, it partly belongs to the children and they didn't want to sell it.

30/05/2013 at 23:54
Salino wrote (see)

..beautifully laid out for ease of access, John...  these older semi's [1950's??] often have big gardens like that... used to live in one in Kent...

..it's a pity we cannot enlarge your photos as I wanted to zoom in... but never mind, it's an ongoing problem for many here...

There is a way you can zoom in: just right click on the photo and select 'copy image' then open Word and paste (= Ctrl + V on a PC). You can then click on that image in word and drag the corners out to enlarge the picture but you will lose a bit of clarity the larger you make the picture. Incidentally, Yes,  the house was built in 1953 - we bought it in 1967. John H

30/05/2013 at 23:59

Busy-Lizzie,

..gosh, how complicated... at least that's how it seems to me.. the French law... at least you have all your family there with you... and a companion... I'm very pleased for you both... it get's lonely on one's own, I think...  worries over maintenance issues and suchlike... nice to have someone else take the strain a little...

31/05/2013 at 00:08

John,

thank you for that information... I've just tried it and yes I can enlarge that, quite fun actually if rather messy,  although no zooming in though, ... I think this was what another member called 'Blackest' was trying to tell us on another thread recently....

clarity is compromised a little, as you say, but I can see you have what looks like a small tree with flowers in a blue square pot... amongst others...  I shall try this method again if need arises...

31/05/2013 at 00:08

Yes, especially lonely on winter evenings, but I'm fine now.

I tried enlarging the picture as John said, and it worked. Looks as though there is a lovely new bed to plant.

Gorgeous tree peonies, incredible centres.

31/05/2013 at 02:40

John, thats a nice looking garden! The lawn shape looks great, much better than a boring rectangle lawn. Thanks for posting photos.

31/05/2013 at 05:58

John H, I love the angles that you have created; they work very well. I can'y enlarge it, too techy for me, would love to see more pics of the veg area.

KEF
31/05/2013 at 08:17
Victoriajane wrote (see)
http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24296.jpg?width=201&height=350&mode=max

Love this Have to speak to husband and get his brain designing or, even better, speak to Dad

Thanks Victoria I will tell H. It's made from an old green pained Arbour that was at Mum's and a few floor boards "found in the garage". 

KEF
31/05/2013 at 08:21

Fred, have enjoyed looking at your garden.

S lass, Peony is lovely, mine is just opening.

Busy-Lizzie can understand why you love your beautiful garden so much.

31/05/2013 at 08:35
Salino wrote (see)

John,

thank you for that information... I've just tried it and yes I can enlarge that, quite fun actually if rather messy,  although no zooming in though, ... I think this was what another member called 'Blackest' was trying to tell us on another thread recently....

clarity is compromised a little, as you say, but I can see you have what looks like a small tree with flowers in a blue square pot... amongst others...  I shall try this method again if need arises...

Hi Salino,

The shrub in the square pot you can see in picture 1 is a Rosemary (in fact it is 3 Rosemarys twined together to create a 1/2 standard) currently in flower. The other side of the patio there is a bay tree of similar size. In the third picture there are 3 trees: on the right is an apple with 3 varieties [Bramley Seeding, Cox's Orange Pippin, & James Grieve] the tree in the middle is a Cherry I planted in the Autumn of 2011 [loaded with Cherries this year] and the tree on the left is a Japanese Salix we bought at Chelsea in 1994. 

artjak I will take a few more pics of the veg area and post later on today. 

The new raised bed created yesterday with the slate effect walls [see pic 1] will shortly (planned for July) have a smalled semi-tirangular bed to compliment it on the opposite side of the garden to be used as a herb garden and then a new patio because ants have undermined the existing one & the slabs have sunk in places making it unsafe to walk on. When that's all done I'll post some more pics. John H

31/05/2013 at 11:18

...I always fancied a 3 in one apple tree, and I do like James Grieve apples very much, you don't see enough of them...

look forward to some more photos in due course...

31/05/2013 at 12:16

John your garden looks great. I love the look of a bed bready to be planted up- mind you I have everything growing in pots..

KEF you are lucky to have someone handy to make bits for you. The bride must give pleasure when blooming.

Birdy I love the way the blooms hang down on the whisteria- I held my laptop upside down to look at it!

Shropshire Lass what a vibrant colour.I love peonies but don't have any.

31/05/2013 at 13:40

BusyLizzie - thanks for those thoughts.

I'm glad to say that I have already found the solace from maintaining the garden is as much about the feeling that I am still doing something of value for my wife as for the benefits it gives me and our family. Seeing everything blossom again is like she is still here.

At first unsure about including these rather personal thoughts on this forum I then realised there might be others who can benefit from reading about the healing effects of gardening. I imagine this is what is behind the passionate enthusiasm for their work expressed by so many 'celebrity' gardeners. (Maybe this is one of the benefits of 'TV gardening' - this GW forum being another!)

On a more practical level I am about to attempt the demanding task ????????(fanfare!) of posting some more photos ????

180 snapdragon or begonia, bought as plugs, and destined for larger pots, beds and hanging baskets. ( Let's hope I don't tip them out of their pots once I've posted their pictures!)

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24444.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24445.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

So far so good. Now some Hostas doing well after a winter of neglect against a north facing wall. (So far no slugs

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24447.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

Phew! 

Now will they post? Here goes!